How many of ya'll would take Newman over Samuel now?

Reaction score
Boysboy;2318360 said:
What is with all these Newman-bashing threads? If Samuels were here, we would be criticizing him even more.

Doubt it.....

Samuels wouldnt be hurt right now and would have a pick...

I dont think its Newman bashing.. Samuels is a proven playmaker.

I wish I could say the same about Newman.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Vinnie2u;2318370 said:
I'm not bashing Newman.. He's very good.. Just that sometimes fans over inflate the value of a player.. Also Jerry is very loyal so he tends to give contracts to players that he should let go. New England and Pittsburgh are great at letting a player go at the right time..

Not so fast-New England gave the kitchen sink to Richard Seymour, ditto Ty Warren. They gave Randy Moss a bundle. They even gave Samuels a nice offer a couple of years ago, only for it to get declined. Same thing can be said about Pitt-they did everything to keep NT Casey Hampton(among others). And both teams overpaid a bit to keep their OLmen.

Sure-they let some key players go, but to say they let EVERYONE go is a big stretch.

BTW-Newman is our 2nd best D player on the team. Flo protects Romo's blind-side. ANY other team would have done the same to keep them.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would.

Newman is a high quality player. Jerry Jones had a choice of retaining him long-term or seeking to sign someone of equal or better ability. He chose to retain him for the foreseeable future. That was a very logical move.

Boysboy

Reaction score
McCordsville Cowboy;2318372 said:
Doubt it.....

Samuels wouldnt be hurt right now and would have a pick...

I dont think its Newman bashing.. Samuels is a proven playmaker.

I wish I could say the same about Newman.

Again-where's our PASS RUSH? You saw New England down the stretch last year-their lack of pass rush ended up exposing Samuels.

That itself explains why we're not picking picks this year.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
Listen to WIP out of Philly and you'll hear the Fans complaining about Samuels inability to play Press Coverage and that he lines up 10 yards off the WR.

Boysboy

Reaction score
AmishCowboy;2318398 said:
Listen to WIP out of Philly and you'll hear the Fans complaining about Samuels inability to play Press Coverage and that he lines up 10 yards off the WR.

LOL - isn't that what Zoners have been complaining about OUR corners doing??

Now all of a sudden, we're whining and griping about WANTING Samuels?!?:bang2:

Reaction score
YoMick;2318412 said:
Get some pressure on QB.

Thats is all I ask.

That would make our secondary look stellar with ill advised ducks being thrown everywhere... Hopefully Pacman would actually catch one:rolleyes:

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
McCordsville Cowboy;2318421 said:
That would make our secondary look stellar with ill advised ducks being thrown everywhere... Hopefully Pacman would actually catch one:rolleyes:

Playing off the WR's and not getting to QB soon enough would make a secondary full of Deion Sanders'erer'erers look like high schoolers.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I was actually much more pleased with the Playcalling defensively last Sunday.

We disguised coverages, mixed Zones and Mans, and brought the blitz quite a bit.

Tony Romo screwed the defense over more than anything with his turnovers.

Its all good though. 4-1 and still room to improve.

Be glad this team hasn't peaked.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I'd still rather have Newman, thanks. I don't recall seeing Samuel making too many big plays while they've been losing to Chicago and the Skins.

khiladi

Reaction score
CATCH17;2318436 said:
I was actually much more pleased with the Playcalling defensively last Sunday.

We disguised coverages, mixed Zones and Mans, and brought the blitz quite a bit.

Tony Romo screwed the defense over more than anything with his turnovers.

Its all good though. 4-1 and still room to improve.

Be glad this team hasn't peaked.

I'm glad they played close to the WRs a lot more, but still was displeased with their tendency to resort to zone at crucial moments, instead of manning-up and letting your CBs play. The zone on the TJ was a clear example. If they were in man on that, there would have been little confusion on the route and they could have defended it a lot better.

But they definitely took a step forward in terms of the coverage.

I'm also still disappointed in the pass-rush and their vanilla rushes....

FCBarca

Reaction score
I would've loved a player of Samuel's caliber but I don't think it was necessarily a bad move to keep/resign Newman...He has been indispensable and typically healthy...Just one of things going on with him now, unfortunate

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2318172 said:
I would....but, some believe I am a homer....what ever that is ;-)

Are you implying some in our membership are homerphobic?

burmafrd

Reaction score
Some extremely stupid people think just because you make a few plays you are good. Samuels gives up a lot more plays then he makes. Newman does not make many plays- he just shuts the guy down or limits him to the point he is worthless. Only a moron would trade a player like that just for some gonzo that BSPN highlites now and then.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
CATCH17;2318325 said:
Marcus Spears was labeled inury proned a little to quick as well.

Spears? When was he injured? He has never missed a game.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2318618 said:
Spears? When was he injured? He has never missed a game.

Spears has never missed a game?

Are you sure? I could have sworn he missed quite a few games his rookie year and got injured the following year in TC.

I remember the Spears injury complaints pretty well and im pretty sure he has missed some time.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Everson24;2318337 said:
Teams are just not worried about throwing at Newman because he rarely gets the pick and makes them pay.

If they're not worried about throwing at Newman, why is he always one of the least-targeted cornerbacks in the league?

And people obviously have a misperception about Newman's ability to get interceptions, compared to most cornerbacks. The only thing he has lacked is a season with a bunch of interceptions. But he consistently gets three or four picks a season, which is more than what most cornerbacks consistently get.

Newman has played five seasons, and has four, four, three, one and four interceptions in them. That's 60 percent of his seasons with more than three interceptions. Compare that to 40 percent for Samuel (two out of five), 43 percent for Deion Sanders (six out of 14) and 44 percent for Champ Bailey (four out of nine). That's right, three of the biggest "playmakers" at cornerback get three interceptions or less in more than half of their seasons.

The same is true for guys such as Lito Sheppard, Sheldon Brown, Ronde Barber, Shawn Springs, Chris McAlister, Antoine Winfield, Quentin Jammer, Sam Madison, Ken Lucas, Nnamdi Asomugha and almost every other cornerback -- in the majority of their seasons, they get three interceptions or less.

QT

Reaction score
CATCH17;2318652 said:
Spears has never missed a game?

Are you sure? I could have sworn he missed quite a few games his rookie year and got injured the following year in TC.

I remember the Spears injury complaints pretty well and im pretty sure he has missed some time.

Not sure if Spears missed a game, but I couldn't really tell when he was in a game his rookie year.

Please do not overpay this guy when his contract expires.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As usual we have someone making a "knee-jerk" reaction based on a very small sample size... specifically the start of the 2008 season.

Cowboy fans never fail to amaze me with their short-sightedness.