How many would take a pay cut?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
SJ said he knows it starts at gurly money and goes up. And he had the money set to the side. Lol. Now you are correct though, it doesn’t mean that’s what we offered. And I think it would be funny after the trouble he has given the FO and holding out if we offered bell money for a while.

I believe what he said was that it goes from there. Not necessarily that it goes up from there.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Zeke does want out, the question would be why?

Jerry has had his back for all his off field issues. He went to war with Goodell. Jerry tries to delay Goodell's extension. Jerry had owners on the committee of Goodell's salary ready to fine him for conduct unbecoming (or whatever). I think Jerry got fined $1 million. All in support of Zeke. There is no owner in pro sports more supportive of their players than Jerry.

Does he want out because Dak will make twice as much as him even if Zeke is more important? Maybe. But that doesn't change somewhere else. QB make the most money everywhere. That's the way it is.

There is no logical reason why Zeke would want out of Dallas. He just wants to be the highest paid. It's as simple as that, IMO. I just think he may have overplayed his hand and Jerry is now pissed.
Sure there are reasons why he might want out. He's had a bumpy ride in Dallas and could associate that with the locale and team. Change the view and change the outlook. Maybe he doesn't like the bright lights that accompany many Cowboys.

And believe this or not, there are people that don't like Dallas or Texas, not their cup o tea.

But I can tell you one thing I wouldn't like. Me making 3M while the guy that is supposedly nothing without me knocks down 30M and I take most of the hits and even have to take on larger tacklers because he stands there holding the damned ball. He can play into his mid 30's and I will be used up before I hit 30. This is most likely my only shot at the gold and he will probably get another contract beyond this one.

What's that? He's the QB and I'm the RB. True and which one of us is better at their job. Which one of us deserves to be top 5 paid?

I am not saying he wants out but it is something I've considered.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If this was a franchise tag situation, i'd almost sympathize. You can't manage a salary cap with a bunch of guys demanding new contracts years early .............which is what will happen if the cowboys cave into Zeke. Might as well pony up for LVE now too.
IMO this is all driven by us wanting to pay Dak and Cooper a year early. Notice how all of that stopped once Zeke held out.

Colombiacowboy

Reaction score
This is to all the posters who want players to take a pay cut.

If your boss came up to you and said would you take a $4 an hour pay cut so he can hire a couple extra employees so that more work could get done more efficiently. But if you don't take a pay cut they will have to lay off a few employees. So who's taking that pay cut?

I understand some make less then others but I know some here make good money. So who's taking the pay cut?

This is for all the posters who want players to take a pay cuts for the greater good of the team, the same team that will eventually cut you to save money.

I don't think anyone is talking about pay cuts. The three offensive players are seeking GIANT pay raises, and most of us are saying these pay raises SHOULD happen, but not necessarily being the top paid at their position.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Sure there are reasons why he might want out. He's had a bumpy ride in Dallas and could associate that with the locale and team. Change the view and change the outlook. Maybe he doesn't like the bright lights that accompany many Cowboys.

And believe this or not, there are people that don't like Dallas or Texas, not their cup o tea.

But I can tell you one thing I wouldn't like. Me making 3M while the guy that is supposedly nothing without me knocks down 30M and I take most of the hits and even have to take on larger tacklers because he stands there holding the damned ball. He can play into his mid 30's and I will be used up before I hit 30. This is most likely my only shot at the gold and he will probably get another contract beyond this one.

What's that? He's the QB and I'm the RB. True and which one of us is better at their job. Which one of us deserves to be top 5 paid?

That’s right. And what I believe is motivating Zeke holding out. Because we were ready to pay Dak a year early.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IMO this is all driven by us wanting to pay Dak and Cooper a year early. Notice how all of that stopped once Zeke held out.

Cooper is on playing a 5th year option. So, he's a UFA or a franchise tag next year. Dak is on year 4 of a 4 year contract. So, he's also an UFA or a franchise tag next year. Zeke literally has 2 years remaining on his rookie deal. He's a year earlier than both those guys.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Well it makes sense to pay Dak and Amari early if the team plans to keep them long term. Wait another year and the prices will just go up even more. Zeke shouldn’t get a new deal until he’s on the final year of his contract.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It can be. Depends on the depth.

If you are already being offered enough for your kids kids kids to be rich and you're holding out for more, that is bad greed.

It's not black and white, Greg, not matter how hard you strive to make it so.
I really don’t see how Zeke is being greedy. He’s just asking for top money. He is one of the top RB’s.

It’s up to us to decide if we want or need a top RB.

Reaction score

If he's had a bumpy ride in Dallas it's his own fault. He's loved on the field. But criticized for his dumb behavior off of it. That's on him. Nobody else.

As for a QB making more coin than him when he's taking the shots, that won't change anywhere else. Seattle? Carolina? Minnesota? Green Bay? Philly? LA? Houston? The circumstances are same no matter where he plays. QB's get paid in a QB driven league.

Now if he wants out because he doesn't like the city or state? That would be different I suppose. But as far as I know, he's never asked for a trade. I'm sure if Jerry showed him $15M a year contract, he would all of a sudden be all for living in Dallas.

uvaballa

Reaction score
I don’t think they’re going to make Zeke the highest paid RB because he has one of the best olines blocking for him. He should definitely get top 5 money but JJ is probably telling his agent he’s paid quite a bit for that oline.

John813

Reaction score
So much back and forth when no one knows the sticking point to why the "big 3" aren't signed.

It could be total worth of the contract and the subsequent AAV figures. Could be the amount of signing bonus, or could be guaranteed money that's holding up the deals.
Maybe it's a combo of 2 of the 3, or the structure of the deal.

Or, Zeke is trying to make a new precedence for top RB pay. Is he wanting 500k per year over Gurleys deal or is it 1m, 2m etc...

JayFord

Reaction score
There’s a big difference

Most people make between $10-45 an hour

Athletes make 10-45 million per year

It would kill most people to take a 4 dollar paycut....if I were an athlete and they said instead of 15 million can you do 11 million a year I would say yes aslong as they have the team interest in mind

However working for 14 an hour and going down to 10 hurts too much and most would be living on the streets

JustChip

Reaction score
These free agents are not asked to cut their pay.
Actually, none of the 3 are FA. Neither Dak nor Zeke have played the # of seasons required by the CBA (that the players through their appointed representatives agreed to) and, therefore, not earned FA. Cooper has, but as with the others, is under contract for - more year (Zeke for 2). The Cowboys are negotiating with them for n order to avoid future FA.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really don’t see how Zeke is being greedy. He’s just asking for top money. He is one of the top RB’s.

It’s up to us to decide if we want or need a top RB.

You cannot make decisions like that in a vacuum. He's asking to be treated like an UFA rather than a guy with 2 years left on a 5 year deal.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well it makes sense to pay Dak and Amari early if the team plans to keep them long term. Wait another year and the prices will just go up even more. Zeke shouldn’t get a new deal until he’s on the final year of his contract.
I understand but I’m just saying what I think has fueled Elliot holding out .

He sees himself making about 3 million this year and he’s the most talented at his position among the 3. Why not pay him too?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You cannot make decisions like that in a vacuum. He's asking to be treated like an UFA rather than a guy with 2 years left on a 5 year deal.
You can if your one of the top talents. You can demand almost anything.

If history has proven anything to us , is that the most talented athletes are in a league of their own.

He simply wants to get paid now. It’s up to us to decide what we want to do.