How many would take a pay cut?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
There’s a big difference

Most people make between $10-45 an hour

Athletes make 10-45 million per year

It would kill most people to take a 4 dollar paycut....if I were an athlete and they said instead of 15 million can you do 11 million a year I would say yes aslong as they have the team interest in mind

However working for 14 an hour and going down to 10 hurts too much and most would be living on the streets
You really should google it. It’s a very small percentage of NFL players making all of the money. Min wage is around 300 grand a year and average salary is about 800 grand.

I guess we have fans who haven’t been exposed to the general public who earn 6-7 figures a year.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Lol. Shrood. I like the way you look at it. Remind me to not negotiate with you.

LOL..... Not me Brother. Here's the thing, don't ever get in a card game with Jerry or Stephen. We're playing with maybe 5 or 7 cards, depending on the game. They are playing with all 52.............

uvaballa

Reaction score
I understand but I’m just saying what I think has fueled Elliot holding out .

He sees himself making about 3 million this year and he’s the most talented at his position among the 3. Why not pay him too?
Well QBs generally make a lot more than RBs so maybe Dak should have sat out last year since he was being paid less than Zeke and I believe every QB in the league.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well QBs generally make a lot more than RBs so maybe Dak should have sat out last year since he was being paid less than Zeke and I believe every QB in the league.
Of course QB’s do. But Elliott doesn’t want what Dak is asking for. Only to be paid as top RB which he arguably is.

Dak could have but it wouldn’t have the same effect. Plus he isn’t one top QB’s in the league. And I think this is what some fans are missing. Only the most Elite athletes could get away with this.

glimmerman

Reaction score
LOL..... Not me Brother. Here's the thing, don't ever get in a card game with Jerry or Stephen. We're playing with maybe 5 or 7 cards, depending on the game. They are playing with all 52.............
Makes a difference when you OWN the deck.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Of course QB’s do. But Elliott doesn’t want what Dak is asking for. Only to be paid as top RB which he arguably is.

Dak could have but it wouldn’t have the same effect. Plus he isn’t one top QB’s in the league. And I think this is what some fans are missing. Only the most Elite athletes could get away with this.
If Dak would have sat out last year you don’t think the Cowboys would have been scrambling?They didn’t have a decent backup so I bet JJ would of had to pay him. Waiting another year, let the QB market go up and now Dak can ask for more even if he doesn’t get exactly what he asks for he likely makes more money.

They’ve won games without Zeke and I think this team is better than the team that won those games because the D is better. We’re going to have to wait and see how the offense plays because I don’t see Zeke coming back anytime soon.

Verdict

Reaction score
I'll take that one step further. Don't poor mouth me about your cap after dropping 250M on a boat. Wanna be a showoff with your money? Gimme sum of dat!!!!

One has nothing to do with the other. That would be relevant only if we did not have a salary cap. Surely you are kidding and not that simple.

Verdict

Reaction score
If Dak would have sat out last year you don’t think the Cowboys would have been scrambling?They didn’t have a decent backup so I bet JJ would of had to pay him. Waiting another year, let the QB market go up and now Dak can ask for more even if he doesn’t get exactly what he asks for he likely makes more money.

They’ve won games without Zeke and I think this team is better than the team that won those games because the D is better. We’re going to have to wait and see how the offense plays because I don’t see Zeke coming back anytime soon.

I think there is a decent chance that this Zeke contract deal ends up being a total train wreck. It’s not a certainty by any means, but that’s the road it is headed down. Zeke isn’t as stable as Dak.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

It’s a huge risk putting Dak out there after paying him without Elliott. If he struggles , Cowboys are going to look the fools.

I seriously don’t think it’s a risk Jerry is willing to take.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
If I was making several million dollars to play a game I love and possibly win one of the best trophies in all of sports that I’ve dreamed of since a kid, I would easily sacrifice some millions. The greed of some of these guys is unbelievable, they will all make several million over the course of 5-10 years, be set for life and retired by 30-35 and they’re going to quibble over 5-10 million when a lot of them will be making 60/70/80 million+ with a chance to make more.

Zeke already has ~25, probably had a chance to make another 45-50 guaranteed plus an annual salary and bonuses and he’s gonna hold out over 10 million? Screw him, let him make his money playing for some crap team the rest of his career and see how happy he really is. If he were a true competitor, that would eat him alive. I’d rather win and lose money then lose and make more money, especially when you’re talking about the overall amount these guys make. But I guess the price of drugs and lawyers isn’t cheap so Zeke needs to look out for his future.

I am so skeptical about your taking less when you are not in that position.

Especially when if you sign for the big bucks, your team can still field all the players and make a run.

You have won me over to the point I don't think you need a pair of spotters to chew gum. Which was closer to what I thought initially.

But I find it difficult to believe - and I am not calling you a liar here - that anyone on this board would not try and get every dime they could, so they would be set for life.

Trade pain for a lifetime to win the lottery now. Which is what this amounts to.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
This is to all the posters who want players to take a pay cut.

If your boss came up to you and said would you take a $4 an hour pay cut so he can hire a couple extra employees so that more work could get done more efficiently. But if you don't take a pay cut they will have to lay off a few employees. So who's taking that pay cut?

I understand some make less then others but I know some here make good money. So who's taking the pay cut?

This is for all the posters who want players to take a pay cuts for the greater good of the team, the same team that will eventually cut you to save money.
This is always a stupid premise that is touted out.

A few thoughts in no particular order:
  • People don't maximize their earning potential all the time. Like no really. All the time. They don't take the new job with slightly higher pay for a number of reasons. Maybe it's across town, across state, in a different industry, for a company they don't like or because it'd mean more hours and time away from their loved ones.
  • Life isn't about maximizing every single dollar you can earn.
  • The NFL isn't about maximizing every single dollar you can earn. Or else guys would play year to year and risk it all for ever increasing one year payoffs. You see it's about balancing security and dollars.
  • Zeke hasn't been asked to take a pay cut.
  • Some people who are overworked would take a pay cut if that means a bigger staff, less hours, less stress, better results and more happiness.
  • Kids come out of school everyday and don't always take the biggest offer they receive.
  • NFL players go into free agency every year and don't take the biggest contract they are offered.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he's had a bumpy ride in Dallas it's his own fault. He's loved on the field. But criticized for his dumb behavior off of it. That's on him. Nobody else.

As for a QB making more coin than him when he's taking the shots, that won't change anywhere else. Seattle? Carolina? Minnesota? Green Bay? Philly? LA? Houston? The circumstances are same no matter where he plays. QB's get paid in a QB driven league.

Now if he wants out because he doesn't like the city or state? That would be different I suppose. But as far as I know, he's never asked for a trade. I'm sure if Jerry showed him $15M a year contract, he would all of a sudden be all for living in Dallas.
The disparity of 30M vs 3M when you are consider among the best at your positions and the other guy isn't. That doesn't enter into the thinking?

If he had asked for a trade, that would be a significant blunder because Booger thinks every young boy wants to be a Cowboys and only goes to the other teams if the Cowboys don't want him. Such is the ego.

Not saying the bumpy ride isn't his fault but if you've dealt with people that associate a place with events, getting away from that place and the bad juju fixes everything. Not saying that makes sense or that Elliott wants to play elsewhere but he is willing to sit out and take that chance.

glimmerman

Reaction score
The disparity of 30M vs 3M when you are consider among the best at your positions and the other guy isn't. That doesn't enter into the thinking?

If he had asked for a trade, that would be a significant blunder because Booger thinks every young boy wants to be a Cowboys and only goes to the other teams if the Cowboys don't want him. Such is the ego.

Not saying the bumpy ride isn't his fault but if you've dealt with people that associate a place with events, getting away from that place and the bad juju fixes everything. Not saying that makes sense or that Elliott wants to play elsewhere but he is willing to sit out and take that chance.
Trade Elliot and get Gordon. Never happen but gordon would take bell money and perform at a high level.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I don’t make the money and am not in this position so I can’t say for sure. If your being the best then you deserve and it’s your worth to get paid that. Jaylon is opening a cryo business at the star. He took a little less but had a plan and don’t think JJ didn’t help.

When you have a player like Elliot that has screwed himself outside of the football field it makes it harder. He has a ego and is going against a man that has a bigger one. You only win if he lets you. JJ could put him making penny’s for years by playing his ego.

Ok. Don’t show, I am fining you. Show up week 11 if you want. Don’t show up to the game. And by the way we got your 5th year. You want your little 9 million show up. If I see you pull up one time I will have you on the bench.

YOU won’t play meaningful football for 2 years. I can tag you. You will be on the backside of your career before I let you go set the league on fire again. And you will likely get drunk and get in trouble again before then. Maybe the next car accident we don’t help.

And we also aren’t dealing with this agent anymore. Your last and final offer is gurly contract plus a dollar signed by me. Makes you the highest paid RB in the league when the market was just set almost 2 million a year higher than bell. Who held out and left money on the bone I bet he wished he didn’t right now.

Answer me by the beginning of the last preseason game. You need to be in here and in shape and gelling with the O-Line for opening day.