How many years do we give Dak?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/dak-prescott?id=2555260

Please inform me that this wasn’t Dak this year, minus the poor protection since it was decent.

Looking at that, I wonder if maybe we gave him too much of the offense to digest. We simplified his progressions last year because he was a rookie. Maybe he's not ready (and possibly won't ever be) to read the whole field.

I will say that I'm not as down on Dak as some are. I think he had some great moments this year and some really awful ones. The question is going to be whether that's the norm for him when things aren't perfect or if he can progress to the point where he has fewer of the awful moments.

Wood

Reaction score
Let's be real, Dallas will not be spending a premium pick on a quarterback. There is also no chance that we chase Kirk Cousins.

Washington gave up on RG3 only two years after his Rookie of the Year season. Philly dumped Foles just one year after posting a 27-2 line. Patience does sometimes work. Jacksonville stuck with Bortles and he has seemed to find himself in his 4th season.

How many many repeat seasons will this front office give Dak before they decide he is not the answer?

Maybe a better question, who is gone first - Garrett or Dak?

I think Wentz has big impact on that answer. If Wentz continues to look like MVP QB next year and Dak still can't throw down field that will expedite Dallas moving on. Its important to remember that it would cost Dallas almost nothing to move on from Dak.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Whoever we can draft or sign FA. You get the point. Dak got all the leeway he earned and its gone now. He shouldn't be handed the starting QB position if he cant play like a starting QB.
I totally agree with this statement. He should have competition next year and this will do two things. Either he will come out a different QB all together and dominate or he will settle down and become a career backup. This is what competition does, makes you rise to the top or fall. Yet I know people wanted competition for Romo last year but the guy was a walking china doll and that's why there was no competition. You can't compete if you get hurt after every sack.

khiladi

Reaction score
Looking at that, I wonder if maybe we gave him too much of the offense to digest. We simplified his progressions last year because he was a rookie. Maybe he's not ready (and possibly won't ever be) to read the whole field.

I will say that I'm not as down on Dak as some are. I think he had some great moments this year and some really awful ones. The question is going to be whether that's the norm for him when things aren't perfect or if he can progress to the point where he has fewer of the awful moments.

That’s why I believe we operate from shot-gun way more than drop-backs in our passing offense despite our offense relying on drop-backs. It keeps everything in front of Dak, but you also effectively eliminate options when your from behind the center.

Dak is pretty good decisive and down the seams and when rolls out, the latter because your working with half the field. He doesn’t throw outside the hashes well when under Center though.

This is why, I think if they are tohelp Dak, the first thing they need to do is get him a quick TE to attack the seams down the middle.

To be honest though, if Dak wasn’t such a nice and likeable guy, I wouldn’t care at all if they went another path immediately.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Let's be real, Dallas will not be spending a premium pick on a quarterback. There is also no chance that we chase Kirk Cousins.

Washington gave up on RG3 only two years after his Rookie of the Year season. Philly dumped Foles just one year after posting a 27-2 line. Patience does sometimes work. Jacksonville stuck with Bortles and he has seemed to find himself in his 4th season.

How many many repeat seasons will this front office give Dak before they decide he is not the answer?

Maybe a better question, who is gone first - Garrett or Dak?
You have to give a ROTY a chance. But if next year he doesn't show improved pocket awareness and accuracy.
That off season they'll make a decision because of contract.
It's a mantra Garrett has two more years and that could dovetail nicely with both leaving.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/dak-prescott?id=2555260

Please inform me that this wasn’t Dak this year, minus the poor protection since it was decent.
This seems like him from this year and last but when your winning esp like last year its only so much you can say without looking jealous. I said that was a problem with the good defensive teams last year but this happened more often this year with teams that weren't like NY and Minn his rookie year. If he did this only against elite D I'd still be concerned (because you mainly run into good D in the playoffs) but not as much as when your doing it against kinda eh D's and this version of Seattle is eh.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
If I am the Cowboys and I don't draft a guy high, or make a play at Cousins (or Jimmy G if he isn't signed for some reason before FA), I am trying to get Romo back on a 2 year deal.

No way am I counting on Dak as the starter next year. Not unless I am not looking to win.

khiladi

Reaction score
Being a major ******-bag would easily help fans in giving up on Dak right now. I think the fact he’s such a nice and likeable kid makes them resist.

A bunch of guys hating on Garrett that used to defend him, probably didn’t give up on him for quite some time, because they fell in love with this ‘image’ of a nice, polished guy..

Of course Dak actually seems like a legit nice guy, while JG comes off in reality as a pompous, jack.. politician like fraud and fake..

khiladi

Reaction score
This seems like him from this year and last but when your winning esp like last year its only so much you can say without looking jealous. I said that was a problem with the good defensive teams last year but this happened more often this year with teams that weren't like NY and Minn his rookie year. If he did this only against elite D I'd still be concerned (because you mainly run into good D in the playoffs) but not as much as when your doing it against kinda eh D's and this version of Seattle is eh.

Zeke was also rushing an incredibly five plus yards per carry on first down, so Dak was pretty much always in manageable third downs. This year down and distance increased and dump offs aren’t going to sustain drives..

rags747

Reaction score
I think Wentz has big impact on that answer. If Wentz continues to look like MVP QB next year and Dak still can't throw down field that will expedite Dallas moving on. Its important to remember that it would cost Dallas almost nothing to move on from Dak.
Plus the fact that now the Giants will be getting who the Browns do not want, either Darnold or Rosen. So two teams in the east will have franchise caliber qb's, Dallas cannot wait too long. I would be looking heavily at Mayfield and Josh Allen, Elway was evidently at Allen's bowl game doing some scouting. Allen is very raw but has great size and has a bazooka for an arm. Put me down for a QB early that can compete with Dak in training camp.