How many years do we give Dak?

csirl

Reaction score
Plus the fact that now the Giants will be getting who the Browns do not want, either Darnold or Rosen. So two teams in the east will have franchise caliber qb's, Dallas cannot wait too long. I would be looking heavily at Mayfield and Josh Allen, Elway was evidently at Allen's bowl game doing some scouting. Allen is very raw but has great size and has a bazooka for an arm. Put me down for a QB early that can compete with Dak in training camp.

Run a mile if Elway likes him....Elway's record to date in evaluating QBs is terrible.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It will be interesting if our next coach will have an open QB competition between Dak and Copper next spring.

Cmac

Reaction score
Needs coaching.......that's the problem. But shouldn't he be able to stay longer than usual ala Scandrick, Crawford types?

Gaede

Reaction score
Well, I think another year or two—in a new offense.

I would start drafting QBs now though

Chuck 54

Reaction score
It’s not a popular opinion, but the stats and QB ratings support it; Dak is an above average QB and great leader when protected. When the OL craps the bed in pass pro like yesterday, he looks like all the other young, inexperienced QBs playing for lousy teams.

Tyron has to be on the field. We must invest in a capable backup OT, and we need to add a playmaker....not just a straight line speedster to stretch the field, but a skilled route-runner with quickness and good hands. Dak will be fine and return to form, but a young QB will regress and struggle with mechanics when under constant duress, no matter when drafted. Dak was bad last night, no doubt, but he was hit and rushed almost as bad as the Atlanta game. He is not my primary concern.

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score
Why is Dak owed one more year or anything else for that matter? I'm not ready to throw away another season. You can't teach accuracy and the guy has no pocket presence. It's the most important position on the field and nothing else matters unless we find a QB. Giving him another season only sets the franchise back another year. Draft a QB and let them fight it out in camp.

Exactly! You cannot learn to be more accurate.

Also one more year is BS because then every player on the team is one more year older.

visionary

Reaction score
He deserves next season with a top rated QB right next to him. The problem I see with Dak is his anticipation. He has no anticipation and trust for his QB skills and he'd better learn it quickly before the 2018 season. When a guy is running a route, you have to anticipate him being where he needs to be and let it fly before he gets there. He has to trust this part of QBing and he doesn't.

This is what they mean when they say, throw a WR open. There was a crossing route I saw that had a receiver crossing the middle with two LBS shallow, he held up the ball because he didn't trust himself to get it over those LBs and before the receivers hit the second array of safeties, so he tucked it, tried to run but all areas were closed so he tossed it out to Zeke (over thrown) pick 6. But your coaches have to coach that into him, throw it before anyone can react. If you're a coach, you have to coach. If they are coaching him to do these things yet he just can't do it, then it's time to move on from him.

This
There are 3 really really good QBs in this draft, maybe 4. If I have a shot at one I take it including trading up a little. Problem is the cowboys won't

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I think Dak is what he was drafted to be, a good backup and game manager. We should not crap on him, he is not the problem. The issue is Mr. Jones. If there is a great quarterback in the draft, make the trade and bring him here.

vlad

Reaction score
Watching Jimmy G elevate his team makes this all harder to swallow. For a Jaylon Smith, Escobar, etc pick... Damn.

If he can't throw players open, frozen ropes to the sidelines, or read defenses better then after next year you have to invest in real competition. I don't know how you find that real competition, so bring in a QB guru and see if you can get his passing ability improved.

kevm3

Reaction score
Garappolo has been in the year for several years and sat behind the greatest coach and player in belichik and brady. Comparing him and Dak isn't fair. I bet you even Garappolo regresses if he comes here. If we can't win more than 2 playoff games with Romo in around 10 years, we're not going anywhere with Garoppolo either.

OUCowboy

CirrusBLow
Reaction score
We have too many holes to risk trading up for a major bust candidate like Mayfield

Well, it's doubtful the Cowboys would go after Baker, but I would disagree with you about him being a major bust candidate. Not a single school in the country opted to go after him in high school, but he has proved every one of those schools wrong. He is one of the best deep ball throwers that I have ever seen and he is adept at reading defenses. He does have a tendency to hold the ball longer than he should, but that could be coached out of him.

Let me say this. I hope to God that Baker Mayfield doesn't go to a team in the NFC East. If he does, we are going to have to play him twice each year and I don't see that being a pleasant thing to do at all. Unless, of course, you are right and he is a major bust candidate.

peaveyman

Reaction score
We have too many holes to risk trading up for a major bust candidate like Mayfield
If you think Mayfield is a major bust candidate you are letting your bias bleed into your common sense. You are a Ok State fan, I get it, but have you not seen what he has done the last three years? He's going to make the right team a heck fo a QB.

Pants

Reaction score
so, how much does "scheme" have to do with it? in other words, if Dak was the starting QB for another team, is he successful?

Note: how frustrating was it when I was at a family gathering when the pick-6 happened and my 22 year-old nephew (pats fan) said "I guess anyone that comes from New England does well in the NFL" (talking about Garrapolo killing one of the best defenses in the league)...

kevm3

Reaction score
With the Browns and Giants looking for a qb, Baker Mayfield isn't even going to fall to us, so no use in fantasizing about it. Knowing what we do in FA, or rather, the lack thereof, drafting a qb with a 1 isn't going to make our team any better. Next year would essentially be a rebuild year.

visionary

Reaction score
It’s not a popular opinion, but the stats and QB ratings support it; Dak is an above average QB and great leader when protected. When the OL craps the bed in pass pro like yesterday, he looks like all the other young, inexperienced QBs playing for lousy teams.

Tyron has to be on the field. We must invest in a capable backup OT, and we need to add a playmaker....not just a straight line speedster to stretch the field, but a skilled route-runner with quickness and good hands. Dak will be fine and return to form, but a young QB will regress and struggle with mechanics when under constant duress, no matter when drafted. Dak was bad last night, no doubt, but he was hit and rushed almost as bad as the Atlanta game. He is not my primary concern.

Sorry but I don't agree
For sustained success as a team your QB has to be the best player on the team and has to be a great pocket passer within the design of the offense. He also had to be able to function when things are not perfect.

If this is not the case then you can design an offense 'around him' but it will be gimmicky and will fall apart as happened this year after the success of last year.

Dak is a functional QB but not a really really top shelf QB

We need to draft a QB in the first round this year if one of the top 3 is there

River82

Reaction score
Dak needs to do a lot of work this off season on his passing game. There needs to be noticeable, quantifiable improvement to his passing game next year or I can't see the organization sticking with him. Will there be a promising QB on the board for Dallas to draft? I'm not a big fan of throwing picks away to move up the board when picking QBs is pretty hit and miss

peaveyman

Reaction score
Well, it's doubtful the Cowboys would go after Baker, but I would disagree with you about him being a major bust candidate. Not a single school in the country opted to go after him in high school, but he has proved every one of those schools wrong. He is one of the best deep ball throwers that I have ever seen and he is adept at reading defenses. He does have a tendency to hold the ball longer than he should, but that could be coached out of him.

Let me say this. I hope to God that Baker Mayfield doesn't go to a team in the NFC East. If he does, we are going to have to play him twice each year and I don't see that being a pleasant thing to do at all. Unless, of course, you are right and he is a major bust candidate.
Yeah, that's a scary thought. Hope he goes to the Saints since they have Brees who is similar is stature to Mayfield.