How much better would this team be with an elite running back?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
LOL. Agreed. Not that black and white. And Pollard is NOT getting jammed behind the LOS at a rate greater than NFL Avg. Those next gen and analytics sites keep track of this type of stuff now. Prove it.

Gambit

Reaction score
If we had traded for Henry, we would be freaking rolling right now with Oline starting to get better. With Dak playing like an MVP, CeeDee true #1, Fergy staking his claim now, we would be unstoppable on offense.
If only he were available for trade, oh that's right he wasn't.

Desperado

Reaction score
Our offense is 1st in points per game and 5th in yards per game? I think we are doing just fine. I really like how Rico runs, too.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
If only he were available for trade, oh that's right he wasn't.
He was available since the offseason. Tennessee put it out there. Google it and you’ll see. They pulled him back in the day before trade deadline because no one offered them what they wanted.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Our offense is 1st in points per game and 5th in yards per game? I think we are doing just fine. I really like how Rico runs, too.
You know, you bring up a great point. While there are for sure some issues with Pollard losing his speed, and new scheme on the offensive line, bottom line is, we don’t have a franchise running back anymore. We’re getting by as best we can. So if people are looking for that magic bullet, you might as well wait until next year.Trade was the only way to make that happen. We’ve gone from Dorsett to Walker to Emmitt to MB3 to Zeke, and I left out a lot of good names before and in-between. We are spoiled as Cowboys fans, and have had a lot of great runners. LOL

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dallas is Number 1 in offense without an elite running game. Number 1 after Niners loss for sure. That being said. Dallas needs to draft a stud running back for next season .
no no no no we don't draft RB's in round one, nope, it's forbidden!!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pollard is starting to run better, getting bigger runs.
Probably a combination of things.

1. He is feeling better about his leg and that injury.
2. The OL playing better and the projected starting 5 finally after 2 yeas playing together.
3. The overall offense is better now, as the passing game is clicking better. As that pass is now respected, so they must back off the run more so than usual.
4. Dak is playing lights out right now, which goes along with #4.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
How many times have we seen an RB do a cutback or bounce out this year? That is to say, start at one hole, realize that there is nothing there and run outside or change the hole to get something successful. Personally, I can't think of one time.

That's really what makes a running back elite. You know how Dak has been looking one direction and then turning back to throw the other direction to clear safeties? Back in the Emmitt days, he would run at one hole, pull defenders into it and then bounce a hole over and get yardage. His biggest skill was his vision and his ability to set up blockers. Whenever that awesome O line of the 90's had some random RB behind them, they never did as well as Emmitt.

I don't think that Pollard and Dowdle are ALLOWED to do that. There is no way we could be 10 games into the season and see this few change of direction running plays without it being on purpose.

I don't really blame the O line here. I see holes away from the play. The primary plays they run are slow developing and obvious to the point where defenders stack up the hole before the RB even gets there.

So, I don't blame either the O line or the RB here. If Dallas had an elite RB, they wouldn't look very good. This is on Solari and Schottenheimer for play design, scheme and concept.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
:hammer:

How anyone who watches the games can't come to that conclusion is beyond me. What's worse, the success of the passing game should make running even easier. It doesn't!
If you haven’t seen this yet, ESPN is slowly getting into the next gen stats game and has a great weekly metric on both lines.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...-blocking-win-rate-rankings-top-players-teams

As of last week, not this week, our O-Line had built itself up to 6th best run block winning ratio and 17th pass block ratio in NFL.

The only one that should be asking for more help here is poor Dak. LOL

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas is Number 1 in offense without an elite running game. Number 1 after Niners loss for sure. That being said. Dallas needs to draft a stud running back for next season .
How much better would it be without a defense cuz we cant afford any players.

Gambit

Reaction score
He was available since the offseason. Tennessee put it out there. Google it and you’ll see. They pulled him back in the day before trade deadline because no one offered them what they wanted.
So he wasn't available?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
So he wasn't available?
No, he was available all year, and always for the right pick. Try again.

What you probably should be doing is just admitting he could be had and giving our team props for not spending a first rounder or whatever Tennessee was asking for a 30-year-old running back.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I don't think we keep pollard.

I do like the guy from wisconsin....big, fast. one cut type of RB

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
:hammer:

How anyone who watches the games can't come to that conclusion is beyond me. What's worse, the success of the passing game should make running even easier. It doesn't!

If I’m the Cowboys I’m running that jet sweep multiple times a game.

I don’t get why teams don’t spam it really. It keeps defenses honest instead of just letting them crash inside.