How much better would this team be with an elite running back?

Mark

Reaction score
So-called "elite" running backs succeed through "elite" run-blocking.

That said, I hate that we don't have a RB right now who can truck anybody.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Dallas is Number 1 in offense without an elite running game. Number 1 after Niners loss for sure. That being said. Dallas needs to draft a stud running back for next season .
Not to change topic but I think this team would be much much better with a MLB like Fred Warner than an elite RB. Not that they don't need to add a RB because I thing they could use a big back.

Reactions: ICP

conner01

Reaction score
An elite RB would help some what they really need is better blocking in the run game

That’s the bigger issue but ya we need draft just not in round 1

I take that back when you draft 31 or 32 it’s ok

Go cowboys
Do we are drafting a RB in the first lol

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
...not that much better, OT, unless it's a gamebreaker as a receiver too, like McCaffery.

Pollard is a really good RB. And Pollard would look as good as McCaffery as a runner if he was a Niner, and he has almost as good as hands as McCaffery (yes, McCaffery is a better route runner...though we haven't asked Pollard to do much catching beyond being in the flat, a fault of our OC). So, I believe it's mostly the scheme, play designs and more consistent offensive line play. I noticed over the last few weeks that the Niners and Cowboys run similar stretch plays consistently. But there's a big difference in its effectiveness...the Niners handoff is closer to the LOS and as soon as McCaffery gets it, he turns it up quickly to get yards. The Cowboys hand it off further back (by only 2 or 3 yards), and then they want the RB to survey quickly where the hole is and THEN turn it up. The Cowboys stretch plan requires the line and LB to hold their blocks longer (a longer developing play), and any penetration disrupts the play entirely. And if the OL is getting beat at the snap, there's more of a chance to hold the Dee line or LB. For the Niners, it's a quick-hitting stretch play, and it's much more effective, and less worry of an immediate hold.

Nevertheless, I think the Cowboys running game has their best chance to be formidable once the Cowboys get the lead, just like the Niners. Until then, the Cowboys should pass to set up the run, yet still use a lot of bootleg and play action.

The Niners have a unique luxury with 2 different players. They have a WR that is basically a RB who just happens to be able to catch (Deebo) and a RB that could line up in the slot as a WR like a Wes Welker or Edelman (McCaffery). Two swiss army knives in one offense is really hard to stop when they both get going. Niners loss 3 in a row when one or both of them were hobbled for a few weeks, understandably.

We never needed Henry, we need an impact LB and some o-line depth more (and maybe a rangy FS).

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
Our RB is currently in a horrible situation, it be nice if we got what we paid for but at least we avoided a long term contract for now. We should draft one pretty high to help. Also, our OL isn't helping as much in the running as they do in the passing game.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Problem is we really don’t have a weakness on the Oline.

It’s bizarre.
Yes we do.. Biadasz struggles with power players and Steele is still working his way back to form. The good news is they'll be better in January than they are right now.

ICP

Reaction score
Not to change topic but I think this team would be much much better with a MLB like Fred Warner than an elite RB. Not that they don't need to add a RB because I thing they could use a big back.
How about if they would have signed Wagner instead of LVE? To me that was a no brainier.

Creeper

Reaction score
Watching the 49ers block on those McCaffery runs outside kind of shows the problem in the Cowboys running game. Every 49ers blocker gets on a defenders and sticks his block. McCarffery goes 8 or 9 yards without being touched. I am not taking anything away from CMC, he is a really good running back, but when you watch the Cowboys on those same runs and everyone whiffs their blocks you know why they struggle running the football.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Trading for Henry would have been moronic, but Dallas should have addressed the position in the draft. ( A late 6th on a gadget doesn't count). OL needed more help too.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
the RBs aren't the problem... I don't think.

The problem is in the OLine OR the run scheme/play calling.

I find it hard to believe this OLine is *THAT* bad at run blocking while being *THAT* good at pass protection

It must be scheme. They've got to try something because the lack of a legit run game will hurt them as the season wears on.

Dak cannot be expected to carry the offense.

jay94

Reaction score
An elite rb is not even a top ten Cowboys need. I don't have faith in Steele, was another bad signing, I hope I'm wrong, I believe because he was homegrown that made Cowboys vastly overrate him just like Gallup. He literally cost us the game vs the Eagles, that was the worst single performance I seen since Chaz Green, was also bad against Seattle, he has a 50.4 PFF grade atm.

reddyuta

Reaction score
not much i reckon,our blocking is subpar especially compared to the eagles and 49ers.

kskboys

Reaction score
not much i reckon,our blocking is subpar especially compared to the eagles and 49ers.
Elite RBs can get yardage when there's nothing there. This is a known fact. The opposing D must assign extra defenders to stop him, which opens up others.

Blocking is important, no doubt, but to discount the talent of the RB is just silly.