How much better would this team be with an elite running back?

Kwyn

Reaction score
If we had traded for Henry, we would be freaking rolling right now with Oline starting to get better. With Dak playing like an MVP, CeeDee true #1, Fergy staking his claim now, we would be unstoppable on offense.
Really? Henry? He’s averaging just over one inch per carry more than Pollard.

starfan1

Reaction score
Nah...a stud back helps the OL. Anyone that played OL will tell you that
Not arguing that but this year is complete opposite of last year the line is bad at Run blocking

Pollard is getting hit right away too often and the coaching staff running behind Tyler B too much isn’t helping matters

We’re stuck with Steele who I believe is the worst player on line this year but we need to upgrade Tyler B he gets pushed back too easy

I miss Tfred

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Really? Henry? He’s averaging just over one inch per carry more than Pollard.
I stand by my dude. A 250 lb monster like Henry would have been an awesome compliment with Pollard. Thunder & Lightning rides again. Even Greg Olsen, who usually hates the Cowboys, was getting visibly excited talking about it on our broadcast. Tennessee probably wanted what San Fran gave up for Christian McCaffrey (who is 3 years younger) which is why everyone backed off. I posted a thread here too not long ago showing how Next Gen Stats record which RBs face 8-men-in-box each game and Henry led the league.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Dallas is Number 1 in offense without an elite running game. Number 1 after Niners loss for sure. That being said. Dallas needs to draft a stud running back for next season .
Agree.

I think they realized their mistake early in the season.

Tony is slower. Who wouldnt be after a freak injury like his?

Rico and DV are scrubs at best.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not arguing that but this year is complete opposite of last year the line is bad at Run blocking

Pollard is getting hit right away too often and the coaching staff running behind Tyler B too much isn’t helping matters

We’re stuck with Steele who I believe is the worst player on line this year but we need to upgrade Tyler B he gets pushed back too easy

I miss Tfred
The OL would be much better with a true RB... one that cN pound and get a couple of extra yards...I miss TFred too, but I miss a beast at RB more

visionary

Reaction score
Dallas is Number 1 in offense without an elite running game. Number 1 after Niners loss for sure. That being said. Dallas needs to draft a stud running back for next season .
We would have beaten Arizona and Philly and have the number 1 seed

That much

CCBoy

Reaction score
The OL would be much better with a true RB... one that cN pound and get a couple of extra yards...I miss TFred too, but I miss a beast at RB more
I would love our center to finally turn the corner and get a mean streak he works to develop as well. That is needed inside and allow misdirections and traps as well as movement prior snap and screens much more.

Running styles can be changed or even adapted that can be more spot relevant to momentums.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Blocking scheme and design matter. You know that. We have the guys to block and run. The scheme needs to be tweaked. Dowdle runs extremely hard.

starfan1

Reaction score
lol by your current stance you have been deprived since 2020.
I usually agree with you on things but we’re gonna have agree to disagree here

My opinion is this year it’s more scheme and blocking . That don’t mean I think if blocking all the sudden improved that pollard would all the sudden be a beast because I think he has regressed from injury also

I wanted Gibbs in the worst way at rb on draft then I was pulling for roshon anyone but a 6th round flyer on a gadget guy

But such is our FO

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Its sad that some older fans still seem to have the same mindset my 14 year old son has about running the football.
Look at Swift with the eagles. Look at the eagles RB from last year who isnt even good enough suddenly to start in Carolina.
Swift was a mediocre back his entire career and now he looks like a serious weapon. Maybe its the scheme and the offensive line that is making the running game going.

Pollard on the Eagles would be Swift or better. Swift on the Cowboys would be Pollard this year or worse. Or he would be the Swift he was in Detroit.

Why is this so complicated for grown *** men.
Agree100%!!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
If we had traded for Henry, we would be freaking rolling right now with Oline starting to get better. With Dak playing like an MVP, CeeDee true #1, Fergy staking his claim now, we would be unstoppable on offense.
Well we are right now almost unstoppable. The potential an elite RB would do wouldn't be measured until we see them perform against a team like the 9ers, who we struggle against

Hardline

Reaction score
The Cowboys have never won a Super Bowl without a great RB.
RBs are still a thing. This is not a passing league. This is a running and passing league.
Look at the run to pass ratio.

Ground and pound still beats a passing offense.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
6th best run block ratio! What a joke!
It’s not. I’m telling you… People are generalizing based on a bad play, early season clumsiness, or just expecting Zeke-like numbers from his early years which ain’t going to happen.

Here’s link on how ESPN grades it.
  1. Determine what type blocking scheme (man, angle, zone, etc) and who is responsible
  2. Grade if Lineman wins his block, they’re not looking for a sack, just a defender beating his man(s)
  3. Most subjective would probably be the linemen who are moving a lot (which admittedly is us). Grader has to decide if they could have gotten to their man.
While we are graded as one of best run blocking units right now, the only single offensive lineman who stands out is Tyron Smith. No one else made top 10. I think that’s fair and consistent with what we’ve seen on the field and in replays. If they showed more than 10, willing to bet Tyler Smith would be the next guy who shows up.

Last edited:

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Why invest more resources when you are already the best ?

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dallas needs an oline coach who either coaches to the strength of his players or we need to draft elite blockers in the draft.

quickccc

Reaction score
- How long has it been since a SB was won off the performance off an elite RB ?

- How many recent past teams have won SBs without an elite RB ?

- Seems like past winning SBs are dictated off Defense and the QB.

CCBoy

Reaction score
- How long has it been since a SB was won off the performance off an elite RB ?

- How many recent past teams have won SBs without an elite RB ?

- Seems like past winning SBs are dictated off Defense and the QB.
Ask Mike Ditka.