How much better would this team be with an elite running back?

quickccc

Reaction score
Pollard hasn't been the same guy since the injury obviously but I find the running concepts to be the larger problem in the short term.

Very meh blocking concepts and designs. Seems like McCarthy and the OL coach are at peace just running him into a pile of bodies.
Its' still hard for me to see if Pollard's burst isn't the same ..or not. becuz the offense does not seem like it's set up and schemed for him to display and exploit his burst and speed.

He's being schemed to run as a power runner and he's not a power-oriented RB. He has inside tackle running ability
as he's shown inside 5 and goal line of late - but you don't ask him to frequent that.
It's either the wrong back for the power scheme Mac wants to run ...
..Or it's the wrong coach scheme for an all purpose, splash back.

What is very odd is that McCarthy has had finesse type all purpose RBs that he did scheme for splash
plays- ala Aaron Jones - yet we do not seem to see that in this Tex Coast offense.

Gambit

Reaction score
No, he was available all year, and always for the right pick. Try again.

What you probably should be doing is just admitting he could be had and giving our team props for not spending a first rounder or whatever Tennessee was asking for a 30-year-old running back.
Well I am happy they showed restraint, same thing with Cooks last year.

starfan1

Reaction score
Problem is we really don’t have a weakness on the Oline.

It’s bizarre.
I think if you look at Tyler B and Steele there is. Tyler B gets bullied too much and this year Steele is the weak link of the 5

Our run blocking is bad this year versus last year it being a strength. I don’t understand the regression of the group as a whole.

I get steele’s reason he’s still not recovered and last year he was our best run blocking

Early on it seemed like Mike was hell bent on running in by Tony up the middle as of late he’s done better at getting him on the edges

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It would be better if we were good at run, blocking, like pass protection

Mr_437

Reaction score
*This is a passing offense with a MVP candidate.
*The running plays have finally started focus on outside runs tailored to the strengths of the RB1.

I haven't seen a commitment to the run from the Cowboys offense like it's necessary in order for them to be successful. Dallas won't be grounding or pounding. Some fans have to adjust to the reality that the QB is dealing and teams with top level QBs don't cater to the run game. Lastly, the run game is improving and rounding into form at the right time.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Dallas is Number 1 in offense without an elite running game. Number 1 after Niners loss for sure. That being said. Dallas needs to draft a stud running back for next season .
Pollard has had a better season than Bijan Robinson who was drafted in the top 10 this past April. Pollard has 737 yards rushing with 5 TDs and Robinson has 703 yards with three TDs. Our running game hasn’t been great but it still ranks 11th. By the way the Cowboys rank 5th in total offense.

quickccc

Reaction score
Pollard has had a better season than Bijan Robinson who was drafted in the top 10 this past April. Pollard has 737 yards rushing with 5 TDs and Robinson has 703 yards with three TDs. Our running game hasn’t been great but it still ranks 11th. By the way the Cowboys rank 5th in total offense.
Is the support and surrounding cast & circumstances is better equipped for Pollard than it is rookie Bijan Robinson ?

The Falcs have been doing musical chairs with their QBs, they don't have the OL big names that we do that includes 2 future HOFers, and they don't have the WRs that we do.
That closes the game for Robinson, imo. Far more easier to focus on him, easier to contain him.

And what if the aforementioned RBs hypothetically switched teams and BJ Robinson were here in Dallas instead ?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Is the support and surrounding cast & circumstances is better equipped for Pollard than it is rookie Bijan Robinson ?

The Falcs have been doing musical chairs with their QBs, they don't have the OL big names that we do that includes 2 future HOFers, and they don't have the WRs that we do.
That closes the game for Robinson, imo. Far more easier to focus on him, easier to contain him.
Regardless of everything you mentioned the point is Pollard has had a more productive season. Rookie RBs can produce in the NFL. Zeke had 1300 yards rushing as a rookie. Don’t forget we’ve had our issues on the OL this season.

quickccc

Reaction score
Regardless of everything you mentioned the point is Pollard has had a more productive season. Rookie RBs can produce in the NFL. Zeke had 1300 yards rushing as a rookie. Don’t forget we’ve had our issues on the OL this season.
On Zeke's rookie rushing totals - he actually had over 1631 yards rushing and led the entire NFL in that year.
And he had the best OL unit in the entire NFL , 3 All Pros, and again included 2 HOFers.
Regardless there's circumstances that leads to Pollard having better numbers than rookie Robinson.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
On Zeke's rookie rushing totals - he actually had over 1631 yards rushing and led the entire NFL in that year.
And he had the best OL unit in the entire NFL , 3 All Pros, and again included 2 HOFers.
Regardless there's circumstances that leads to Pollard having better numbers than rookie Robinson.
Yeah, I short changed him. It was over 1600. It’s surprising that Pollard has better numbers than Robinson. He’s splitting carries with Dowdle, and a lot of fans would rather have Dowdle starting ahead of him.

quickccc

Reaction score
Yeah, I short changed him. It was over 1600. It’s surprising that Pollard has better numbers than Robinson. He’s splitting carries with Dowdle, and a lot of fans would rather have Dowdle starting ahead of him.
My guesswork with those wanting Dowdle starting ahead of Pollard - they believe Rico is the power, chain mover back they have long been accustom to seeing ... ala Zeke- Murray- Emmitt...

and this blocking scheme seems to be better suited to power game, but something about the workings
of it doesn't seem to play with some members in the OL. the center/RH are having lesser years than in the past.

plus Rico is looking good in spots and occasions coming off the bench as change of pace, but does more touches threaten what very surprising durability he is showing this year?

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Having a weak link at center is a huge issue but it also looks like they didn't put any effort into developing run blocking schemes,,, even when they run behind Tyler and Tyron there's nothing there. Not having a bruiser to blast through arm tackles compounds the problem. Epic fail from the GM and the coaches. I guess there's a possibility that it's still "evolving" as MM likes to say but the OL and running game continues its yearly slide backwards.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
My guesswork with those wanting Dowdle starting ahead of Pollard - they believe Rico is the power, chain mover back they have long been accustom to seeing ... ala Zeke- Murray- Emmitt...

and this blocking scheme seems to be better suited to power game, but something about the workings
of it doesn't seem to play with some members in the OL. the center/RH are having lesser years than in the past.

plus Rico is looking good in spots and occasions coming off the bench as change of pace, but does more touches threaten what very surprising durability he is showing this year?
That’s the reason they want Dowdle starting is because he runs with more power. It’s obviously gotten Pollard’s attention because he’s been running with some good power lately. The second back always looks a little better because they’re being kept fresher. Pollard looked much better as the second back over his career. He’s had more carries this season and it’s wearing him down. He was coming off a career high in carries last season.

Old'Boyfan

Reaction score
It’s not. I’m telling you… People are generalizing based on a bad play, early season clumsiness, or just expecting Zeke-like numbers from his early years which ain’t going to happen.

Here’s link on how ESPN grades it.
  1. Determine what type blocking scheme (man, angle, zone, etc) and who is responsible
  2. Grade if Lineman wins his block, they’re not looking for a sack, just a defender beating his man(s)
  3. Most subjective would probably be the linemen who are moving a lot (which admittedly is us). Grader has to decide if they could have gotten to their man.
While we are graded as one of best run blocking units right now, the only single offensive lineman who stands out is Tyron Smith. No one else made top 10. I think that’s fair and consistent with what we’ve seen on the field and in replays. If they showed more than 10, willing to bet Tyler Smith would be the next guy who shows up.
Good post

loublue22

Reaction score
we have mediocre to poor backs. this random guy on the titans (henry's backup) looks better than our guys, much faster and runs with more power.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
We sort of have an elite-level back. Keep in mind, Pollard has made improvements this year. Like last year, he was at Adrian Peterson levels for a minute. The question is, can get get that level back? He's still a good back.

Plus, we don't want to be a run-first team anymore. We have the team to dominate the passing game. That's what we should do.

To me, Dak looks like he's on an upward trajectory. Like he's still in great shape, looks plenty athletic enough to be an NFL QB. I mean what if his career is just getting started?

Is it not possible that he came in at a certain level, but is playing at an even higher level right now?

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Once AGAIN!!! If we don't go deep into the playoffs it will be because of DUFUS Jones. He needed to get a better running back and pickups on defense at the trade deadline and earlier. But DUFUS said "we good". :facepalm:

Reactions: ICP