How Much Confidence Do You Have in Jalen Tolbert?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
The way I see it, Tolbert is a legitimate #2 WR in the NFL, which is why I'm not as concerned as some about the WR position.

That said, it would appear as if fans and others in the media don't share the same level of faith in Tolbert as I do.

So many are clamoring for us to bring in a veteran WR, which I would ultimately be on board with (even though I like Fehoko, Turpin, Houston and Roberson as potential #3 options).

Are fans just not as confident in Tolbert because he's a rookie?

I'm about a 7 of 10 as far as being confident he can rise to the occasion as a formidable #2 guy during his rookie year.

If all goes well, I can see him even surpassing Cooper's 2021 production.

What is your general confidence level in Tolbert?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The way I see it, Tolbert is a legitimate #2 WR in the NFL, which is why I'm not as concerned as some about the WR position.

That said, it would appear as if fans and others in the media don't share the same level of faith in Tolbert as I do.

So many are clamoring for us to bring in a veteran WR, which I would ultimately be on board with (even though I like Fehoko, Turpin, Houston and Roberson as potential #3 options).

I'm about a 7 of 10 as far as being confident he can rise to the occasion as a formidable #2 guy during his rookie year.

I complete agree with you. Legit #2. Lamb, Gallup, Tolbert , Shutlz is a hell of a top 4 pass catchers

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
It’s high, but that goes back to him being one of my favorite WR’s in this draft. I think he should’ve been taken in round 2, and expected it.

I think Tolbert is going to hit the ground running and be a viable part of the Cowboys passing game. It just doesn’t take WR’s as long these days to get going in the NFL.

You can tell by some of the offensive guys comments that he’s doing well and fitting in great.

My expectations are very high for him.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

If anyone is serious about contending then yeah you can't have a 3rd or 4th round rookie starting for as your 2nd best receiver. Its just what I believe. I think you need a veteran there. I don't like the approach the Cowboys are taking. You can get away with youth at certain positions but the majority of your team is ran by young players? That's a problem.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I complete agree with you. Legit #2. Lamb, Gallup, Tolbert , Shutlz is a hell of a top 4 pass catchers

I agree with several of your takes lately as well, Zeke aside, which is cool.

If Gallup comes back healthy, it's really going to be a fun team to watch.

It’s high, but that goes back to him being one of my favorite WR’s in this draft. I think he should’ve been taken in round 2, and expected it.

I think Tolbert is going to hit the ground running and be a viable part of the Cowboys passing game. It just doesn’t take WR’s as long these days to get going in the NFL.

You can tell by some of the offensive guys comments that he’s doing well and fitting in great.

My expectations are very high for him.

I also thought they might take him in round 2. Was kind of hoping they did. But I'm glad it worked out the way it did and we got Williams and Tolbert.

And you're right. WR is a position that doesn't take years of development for some players. Sometimes, especially with a player like Tolbert, you can just plug them in and they'll produce.

I feel like Tolbert is that kind of player.

DFWJC

Reaction score
If anyone is serious about contending then yeah you can't have a 3rd or 4th round rookie starting for as your 2nd best receiver. Its just what I believe. I think you need a veteran there. I don't like the approach the Cowboys are taking. You can get away with youth at certain positions but the majority of your team is ran by young players? That's a problem.
Gallup is WR2 after week 3 or so

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

To be honest : not much.
I think he has a lot of potential as a third round pick, but there is a lot of adjustment from college ball to the NFL,
and a lot to learn.
Anything we get from him this season is icing on the cake.

DFWJC

Reaction score
That's why the question isn't easy one to answer.

None of us know what he can do in the NFL; we can only assume based on what we know.
True.
We can make guesses, but thats it.

We have a WR1 who led our team in receiving last year
We have a solid WR2 after 3-4 games
We have a solid TE
We have 2 good receiving RBs

But we have 3-4 other WRs vying for playing time after that….for snaps at WR3 all year and WR2 early on

Hardline

Reaction score

I think he will have a Michael Gallup type career.

Jarntt

Reaction score

Based on the wording of your post and not the thread title, I'm assuming you mean for THIS YEAR. In an ideal situation you don't ask a 3rd round rookie from a small School to be more than a #3 WR year one. I think Tolbert has the skill set to be really good, but even the best rookies can struggle year 1 to get acclimated to the NFL. I think expecting him to be a #2 WR in week one of his first year is a tall order. If you look at the guys who all just signed huge WR deals (Deebo, McCalaurin, AJ Brown and Metcalf), not one of them hit 60 catches in year one and they are all considered elite or near elite. Now, opportunity of course plays a huge role in this too and perhaps Tolbert gets more targets, but I think the idea of him exceeding Coopers 2021 production of 68 receptions, 865 yards and 8 TDs in 15 games is unrealistic.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Based on the wording of your post and not the thread title, I'm assuming you mean for THIS YEAR. In an ideal situation you don't ask a 3rd round rookie from a small School to be more than a #3 WR year one. I think Tolbert has the skill set to be really good, but even the best rookies can struggle year 1 to get acclimated to the NFL. I think expecting him to be a #2 WR in week one of his first year is a tall order. If you look at the guys who all just signed huge WR deals (Deebo, McCalaurin, AJ Brown and Metcalf), not one of them hit 60 catches in year one and they are all considered elite or near elite. Now, opportunity of course plays a huge role in this too and perhaps Tolbert gets more targets, but I think the idea of him exceeding Coopers 2021 production of 68 receptions, 865 yards and 8 TDs in 15 games is unrealistic.
He would be battling for other for snaps at WR3 or WR4 for most of the season

Pass2Run

Reaction score

Fair enough. But many had Tolbert being a 2nd round pick.

To me, when I look at his skillset, he doesn't have the same leap to make as some rookies.

Of course, he'll have to adjust. I just feel like the adjustment for him will be less.

I've always been a big fan of Major Applewhite (I used to call him Applehead at Texas), and the fact Tolbert worked with him as the offensive coordinator makes me think he's had some of the best coaching a WR could have. So, given that fact, and how Tolbert responded to coaching from Applewhite after Applewhite arrived at South Alabama in 2021 tells me he can also make the kind of adjustment to the NFL that he needs to make to be successful.

I compare him to Andre Reed, who was a 4th round pick from a small school. Reed had 637 yards his first year in the NFL.

Given that it's more of a passing league, I can see Tolbert having a bit more than that if all goes well.

I'm not guaranteeing it. But I can see it happing, possibly.