How Much Confidence Do You Have in Jalen Tolbert?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I just don’t understand how anyone can say Tolbert is a legitimate number 2 wr in the nfl when he hasn’t even played a single game. Sure, he can develop into that and be a good player but what is this based on? College film? Training camp and ota’s? Just a bit ridiculous Imo.

I think he’ll be pretty serviceable and good but it’ll take time and I won’t feel confident one way or the other until actual games are played.

Yep, college film.

Of course, this is why I think Dak should play in the preseason game. Because we should know what we have with Tolbert. To know, Dak needs to play at least a few reps in the preseason for the rookies. Big risk, but I may take it.

When I say I'm confident in Tolbert, I'm not 10 of 10 confident. Meaning, yes, I think he can do it based on his college film. But I also see why people think it would be wise to bring in a veteran.

Keep in mind. I was down to draft Tolbert in the 2nd. I liked him that much. But, I also see why he lasted to the 3rd. There are some doubts, even though he does flash some.

So, yeah, I can honestly see them just rolling with Tolbert as the #2, especially if they think Gallup is on the fast-track to returning. Mostly, though, I'm down to pick up a vet.. Even though I like guys like Fehoko, Turpin, Brown, Roberson, etcetera. Just because there is that doubt. And you can never go wrong getting a decent vet as your 3rd option. The thing is, Dak is a WR-friendly QB, and we run a WR-friendly scheme, so anyone can step up.. like someone else said, it doesn't matter if it's a 2nd round draft pick, or a UDFA. Someone needs to step up. Or we should sign a vet WR.

I think we have enough weapons with CeeDee and Lamb to see that guy as a 3rd option, so there are still plenty of 3rd option guys available.

Last edited:

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
The way I see it, Tolbert is a legitimate #2 WR in the NFL, which is why I'm not as concerned as some about the WR position.

That said, it would appear as if fans and others in the media don't share the same level of faith in Tolbert as I do.

So many are clamoring for us to bring in a veteran WR, which I would ultimately be on board with (even though I like Fehoko, Turpin, Houston and Roberson as potential #3 options).

Are fans just not as confident in Tolbert because he's a rookie?

I'm about a 7 of 10 as far as being confident he can rise to the occasion as a formidable #2 guy during his rookie year.

If all goes well, I can see him even surpassing Cooper's 2021 production.

What is your general confidence level in Tolbert?

3/10

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Asking rooks to grow up quick these days.

That was sort of the upside of Tolbert, though, in the draft.

He's your proverbial plug and play type player.

He was ranked like the 48th player, overall by many, for that reason.

Even Dallas claims he was in the talks when they drafted in the 2nd, and I believe he likely was. He was a projected 2nd rounder, and the Cowboys obviously had their eye on him.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The way I see it, Tolbert is a legitimate #2 WR in the NFL, which is why I'm not as concerned as some about the WR position.

That said, it would appear as if fans and others in the media don't share the same level of faith in Tolbert as I do.

So many are clamoring for us to bring in a veteran WR, which I would ultimately be on board with (even though I like Fehoko, Turpin, Houston and Roberson as potential #3 options).

I'm about a 7 of 10 as far as being confident he can rise to the occasion as a formidable #2 guy during his rookie year.

Maybe a guy who develops into a #2, but in the first few games, when we need him to step in for Gallup, no, not yet.

WRs have one of the biggest learning curves coming into the NFL, and Tolbert has mediocre measurables - he doesn't have freakiness to get by on while he learns.

kskboys

Reaction score

I am confident that Tolbert can play at an NFL level. That's what all the signs point toward.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Here's the problem that I see with what you are saying. Gallup also is a legitimate No. 2 receiver; however, during his rookie year, he only caught 33 passes for 577 yards. We traded for Cooper his rookie year in part because Gallup wasn't ready to establish himself. Expecting Tolbert to as a rookie is expecting too much. Maybe he will; some rookies have definitely had better seasons than Gallup's, but we should not be expecting or even asking him to put up No. 2 numbers this year. If our plan going into the season is for Lamb to be the No. 1 and either Tolbert or Houston to be the No. 2, it's a bad plan.

Now, I'm going to mitigate what I'm saying a little because I believe that our plan may essentially be for Pollard to be the No. 2 guy (at least as far as catches goes). If that's the case, then we're really looking for a No. 3 guy, and Tolbert might can be that.

I'm glad that both Tolbert and Houston are showing flashes that they can play in this league. I'm glad we've got Turpin and we're seeing moments from Brown, Fehoko and Vasher. However, the perspective on that is that there are a lot of one-on-ones in camp (which favor the offense). There are a lot of balls thrown so there are opportunities for some big plays even if the receivers aren't regularly beating coverage.

The news out of camp is that the defense is ahead of the offense and looking good. Part of that just might be that we don't have very many receivers who can get open down after down after down. I hope that is not the case, but I'm concerned that it is and certainly don't have the confidence that you do in a rookie third-round pick, not to mention a rookie UDFA, a second-year UDFA, a diminutive returner, a sixth-year No. 4 receiver and a second-year fourth-round pick who was mostly inactive last year.

plasticman

Reaction score
LOL, ask me how confident I am that Tolbert will even be in one piece once the season starts.

The injury bug is a vicious beast. Somehow, when it comes to the Cowboys, it knows exactly which squad is the most vulnerable.

The injury bug is rarely satisfied with just a single attack on a particular squad, there will be multiple assaults. Last year it was the defensive line, the year before it was the offensive line. It doesn't happen every year, but when it does, it has been devastating.

The Cowboys need to sign some receivers in plural. They haven't even begun playing their first preseason game.

ICP

Reaction score
Zero, zilch, nada, prove it and then I'll have something to believe in

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It's too early to tell for sure how Tolbert might perform.

The media and players seem to favor him well.

Based upon that, I expect he'll succeed.

Seeing is believing, however! :cool:

Last edited:

zekecowboy

Reaction score

I think Jalon Tolbert will be a great wide receiver. But look at the first two Dallas Games: Tampa Bay and Cincinnati
Dallas could easily be 0-2 after the first two games.

Sep 11

Sun • 7:20pm

Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Dallas Cowboys (Sunday Night Football)

AT&T Stadium

Arlington, TX

Sep 18

Sun • 3:25pm

Cincinnati Bengals at Dallas Cowboys

AT&T Stadium

Arlington, TX

Sep 26

Mon • 8:15pm

Dallas Cowboys at New York Giants (Monday Night Football)

MetLife Stadium

East Rutherford, NJ

Oct 2

Sun • 12:00pm

Washington Commanders at Dallas Cowboys

AT&T Stadium

Arlington, TX

Oct 9

Sun • 1:25pm

Dallas Cowboys at Los Angeles Rams

SoFi Stadium

Inglewood, CA

Oct 16

Sun • 8:20pm

Dallas Cowboys at Philadelphia Eagles (Sunday Night Football)

Lincoln Financial Field

Philadelphia, PA

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If anyone is serious about contending then yeah you can't have a 3rd or 4th round rookie starting for as your 2nd best receiver. Its just what I believe. I think you need a veteran there. I don't like the approach the Cowboys are taking. You can get away with youth at certain positions but the majority of your team is ran by young players? That's a problem.

I get what you’re saying but in our defense we won a playoff game in 2018 with Cooper as #1 and Gallup as #2 and he was a 3rd round rookie that year

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Well, he's a rookie in training camp. How much confidence am I supposed to have in Jalen Tolbert? I'm ready to watch this kid prove himself but my expectations are not high. I want to see good things from him and I hope he gets the opportunity. We need everyone in our WR group to step up this first part of the season while Gallup and Washington are recovering from injury.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Not seeing much about him in camp to date though is interesting.
which can be good not like they allow full open practice shots so limited media coverage etc is why you aren't seeing oir hearing much..many practices are closed and sometimes hearing nothing is actually better then reposts on how bad hes doing. goes for all the new additions. The PS Games will start the exposure for fans we will see a lot of these young guys.

Only downside is whos throwing the ball to them lol BU qbs wont make it easy for these wrs to shine.