How Much Money Would Jerry Jones Lose If He Stepped Down As GM?

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Not sure why any of that would change. Half the list is attendance and I pray that nobody is paying to look at him up in his booth like he’s an exhibit at the zoo.

quickccc

Reaction score
I am not a fan of Jerry Jones (understatement) but the greed argument that is forever posted is, well, something else. Can someone answer the following IF Jones was only an owner and no longer a general manager?
  • How much money would Jones lose in stadium attendance sales?
  • How much money would Jones lose in team apparel sales?
  • How much money would Jones lose in sponsorships?
  • How much money would Jones lose in stadium concessions sales?
  • How much money would Jones lose in naming rights?
  • How much money would Jones lose in non-NFL stadium event sales?
Jones has a net worth in excess of $4.3 BILLION in Comstock Resources and Arkoma stock and private gas holdings alone (link). I said alone. Not one penny of it is tied up with the tickets, jerseys, caps or 12-ounce Miller Lite sales. So, a bonus question:

How much money would Jones lose in revenue outside the stadium, real estate, the league, etc.? You know. IF he ever went back to primarily being WHAT HE WAS before he kicked Jimmy Johnson to the curb? Back before he validated the self-belief he was the smartest general manager the NFL has ever seen?

I stole the following from a fellow member:

Please give me your thoughts.

Cowboys were stud sellers and America's Team, before Jerry even got his hands on the Dallas Cowboys, just
as they will STILL be stud sellers, top marketers, and Americas' Team .. even unfortunately when/after Jerry passes away.

He's " General Manager " in title, imo, but the clear obvious is his dear son Stephen Jones has gradually taken over
football operations. it's not like when Jerry headed the NFL draft and had his have fun collections of " WTH " draft
picks and manuever.

There is something Major going on behind the scenes to where the stubborn ego of Jerry is much more lenient and forgiving than he has ever been in many past years. With the old Jerry, Johnny Manziel would have been a Dallas Cowboys instead of HOFer Zack Martin .....

Jason Garrett, a once Boy Wonder of Jerry, would have still been the current HC of the Cowboys if it was solely up to Jerry alone,. . we would still be signing up and re-signing average JAGs to ridiculous overpaid big contracts if it was up to Jerry.

Per Rick Gosslein - Jerry led and showed the NFL world how to make more money - how to expand revenues, negotiate for much bigger TV deals, rights and investments, how to invest in bigger, more improved stadiums,. how to market sponsorship on a level never seen in the NFL. that's why Jerry is currently (and deservedly so) in the Hall of Fame
as an owner.

Regards of whether it was totally Jerry's decision on Jimmie's ROH anointment, or if Jerry was greatly influenced more than ever privately by his own family, the long awaited deed of Jimmie Johnson in the Ring of Honor .. is now a done deal, and water under the bridge., imo.
I have my own suspicions about Jerry's well being nowadays that could've played a part in the many years of stubborness but again this is a done deal and past one for the record.

I don't look at the current Cowboys operations and directions as per Jerry,.. but much more so his dear son Stephen Jones

kskboys

Reaction score
Cowboys were stud sellers and America's Team, before Jerry even got his hands on the Dallas Cowboys, just
as they will STILL be stud sellers, top marketers, and Americas' Team .. even unfortunately when/after Jerry passes away.

He's " General Manager " in title, imo, but the clear obvious is his dear son Stephen Jones has gradually taken over
football operations. it's not like when Jerry headed the NFL draft and had his have fun collections of " WTH " draft
picks and manuever.

There is something Major going on behind the scenes to where the stubborn ego of Jerry is much more lenient and forgiving than he has ever been in many past years. With the old Jerry, Johnny Manziel would have been a Dallas Cowboys instead of HOFer Zack Martin .....

Jason Garrett, a once Boy Wonder of Jerry, would have still been the current HC of the Cowboys if it was solely up to Jerry alone,. . we would still be signing up and re-signing average JAGs to ridiculous overpaid big contracts if it was up to Jerry.

Per Rick Gosslein - Jerry led and showed the NFL world how to make more money - how to expand revenues, negotiate for much bigger TV deals, rights and investments, how to invest in bigger, more improved stadiums,. how to market sponsorship on a level never seen in the NFL. that's why Jerry is currently (and deservedly so) in the Hall of Fame
as an owner.

Regards of whether it was totally Jerry's decision on Jimmie's ROH anointment, or if Jerry was greatly influenced more than ever privately by his own family, the long awaited deed of Jimmie Johnson in the Ring of Honor .. is now a done deal, and water under the bridge., imo.
I have my own suspicions about Jerry's well being nowadays that could've played a part in the many years of stubborness but again this is a done deal and past one for the record.

I don't look at the current Cowboys operations and directions as per Jerry,.. but much more so his dear son Stephen Jones
Someone is still doing the WTH draft picks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FLWarpigrpig

Reaction score
I am just waiting to see what happens when he dies. Will there be a statue, a mausoleum, buried under the star, or endzone?

FLWarpigrpig

Reaction score
If you mean military leaders then that is mostly due too psychopathy. It helps not to freak out when everyone around you is dying. You have to be a psychopath to be unaffected.
Discipline and training. When the surroundings go to he'll your training kicks in.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
This guy looking so old is the the only exciting thing this off-season so far.

GJejmaAWEAAsVq3.jpg:large

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

picks and manuever.

as an owner.

The only way Jerry Jones can be deemed a non-factor in front office decision-making is for him to have zero input. That includes the consideration he is only rubber-stamping decisions made by Stephen Jones, who is no more qualified than his father in running football operations.

Within any form of organization, optimum management functions from the very top to the very bottom. A single manager, situated at any tier within the management structure, can strength or weaken its overall effectiveness.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't know. Don't care. He has enough $ to last forever for his clan.
His wealth and money making machine does not matter to me also. Making money has not been the team's problem. It has always been the Jones' poor football management.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I am not a fan of Jerry Jones (understatement) but the greed argument that is forever posted is, well, something else. Can someone answer the following IF Jones was only an owner and no longer a general manager?
  • How much money would Jones lose in stadium attendance sales?
  • How much money would Jones lose in team apparel sales?
  • How much money would Jones lose in sponsorships?
  • How much money would Jones lose in stadium concessions sales?
  • How much money would Jones lose in naming rights?
  • How much money would Jones lose in non-NFL stadium event sales?
Jones has a net worth in excess of $4.3 BILLION in Comstock Resources and Arkoma stock and private gas holdings alone (link). I said alone. Not one penny of it is tied up with the tickets, jerseys, caps or 12-ounce Miller Lite sales. So, a bonus question:

How much money would Jones lose in revenue outside the stadium, real estate, the league, etc.? You know. IF he ever went back to primarily being WHAT HE WAS before he kicked Jimmy Johnson to the curb? Back before he validated the self-belief he was the smartest general manager the NFL has ever seen?

I stole the following from a fellow member:

Please give me your thoughts.
Great questions ;

I think it would be difficult to put a number on it. Some things wouldn’t be impacted like TV revenue sharing and ticket sales since all season ticket holders are committed with PSL’s which these two are the largest segment of revenue which is also shared with the Players Union . TV revenue goes up every year. Ticket prices go up and all parking and concessions are tied to attendance which with biggest stadium in NFL is the driving motor in #1 Revenue.

Despite our criticism of Jethro being GM and the lack of more success this era on the field , his biggest contribution in driving revenue which is staying front and center being the face of the Cowboys hyping and promoting our iconic brand , team and players every opportunity he gets despite however disgusting it is to us. It works . And he deserves some credit for that as frustrating as it is for us. I don’t see Stephen playing that same role in the public eye or any of his siblings.

Many of the sponsors buy into him as well as our brand because they know he’s not going to let up and keep our brand front and center regardless the success on the field. But at some point Jethro will be gone and the impact will be felt financially because he’s the greatest promoter and salesman the league and perhaps all of sports has seen .

One owner almost knows who follows football or not is the Cowboys which brings more following from fringe and casual fans as well as haters. It all adds up to attention which translates to revenue.

Jethro and Jimmy were a tremendous 1-2 punch. And Jethro probably could have become one of the greatest owners the league has had in modern era. But his ambitions and passion to be a celebrity football guy has significantly tainted his image but not revenue.

Jimmy’s most recent book dedicated an entire chapter on their relationship. It begun as an agreement Jimmy would run football operations and Jethro business side. But once the football success begin coming in it received much more accolades and attention than the business side which drove Jethro jealous . It’s why he begun inserting himself and wanting more of the spotlight . He didn’t like that Jimmy had become the face of his franchise. He wanted to be a part of that excitement regardless the effects.

And as long as Revenue hasn’t been impacted he’s been able to stay front and center. Only a severe impact to Revenue could have brought about the change we all wanted.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Only a severe impact to Revenue could have brought about the change we all wanted.
I have wanted the Jones to remove themselves from football operations. I severely doubt any negative change in revenue would force Jones into making that particular change.

Attacking his narcissism would create an opportunity. Perhaps a small opportunity but one better than none at all.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I have wanted the Jones to remove themselves from football operations. I severely doubt any negative change in revenue would force Jones into making that particular change.

Attacking his narcissism would create an opportunity. Perhaps a small opportunity but one better than none at all.
Unfortunately Jethro already tried just playing the owners role on the business side . And winning championships wasn’t enough. He has to be the man.

I’ll say this . If we had the same level of success we’re having this era with him on the field it likely would have impacted Revenue if he wasn’t GM because he’s part of the sales pitch that’s he’s doing everything he can to win. Amazing how many buy into it. Sponsors buy into it as well. His hype is powerful .

quickccc

Reaction score
The only way Jerry Jones can be deemed a non-factor in front office decision-making is for him to have zero input. That includes the consideration he is only rubber-stamping decisions made by Stephen Jones, who is no more qualified than his father in running football operations.

Within any form of organization, optimum management functions from the very top to the very bottom. A single manager, situated at any tier within the management structure, can strength or weaken its overall effectiveness.
It's not about Jerry no longer being involved, or zero input. he is involved, ..he is still in war rooms, pre and post press conferences, and still in the locker rooms, in front of the cameras and still the figure head of the Cowboys. . Jerry is still alive and involved, but it's more about who is now having the biggest influence in the football operations of the Cowboys.

And as I've pointed out earlier, there seems to be several indications to where Jerry is not only listening to specific trusting, whispering mouths - something he would stubbornly never considered in yonder past years- but he seems to be giving way to such specific influences more than ever before. ..imo. of course.

As to regards to the single manager making or breaking an organization, ..at this point of Jerry's life, i would think its gonna point more and more to Cap Boy manager and his own natural way of wanting to conduct Cowboys business and operations.

I contend that something is going on in privacy with Jerry to have him change courses and allow Stephen to be a bigger (much bigger?) influence at the Star Facilities than ever before.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not about Jerry no longer being involved, or zero input. he is involved, ..he is still in war rooms, pre and post press conferences, and still in the locker rooms, in front of the cameras and still the figure head of the Cowboys. . Jerry is still alive and involved, but it's more about who is now having the biggest influence in the football operations of the Cowboys.

And as I've pointed out earlier, there seems to be several indications to where Jerry is not only listening to specific trusting, whispering mouths - something he would stubbornly never considered in yonder past years- but he seems to be giving way to such specific influences more than ever before. ..imo. of course.

As to regards to the single manager making or breaking an organization, ..at this point of Jerry's life, i would think its gonna point more and more to Cap Boy manager and his own natural way of wanting to conduct Cowboys business and operations.

I contend that something is going on in privacy with Jerry to have him change courses and allow Stephen to be a bigger (much bigger?) influence at the Star Facilities than ever before.
Both Stephen and Jerry Jones are substandard football operational managers. Some observers place a great deal of weight on the son having assumed a large portion of control over how the team is run. That can be true but it does not matter if the father is still acting upon his own autonomy and proving he is still making managerial decisions that will very likely affect the team--such as him acquiring Trey Lance.

I put little weight in Stephen Jones's actual controlling influence based on what has happened (or not happened) in the offseason so far. My opinion may change according to how Dak Prescott's situation is finally resolved.

I fully believe Jerry Jones will approve an extension keeping Prescott in Dallas for the next three to four seasons. That would tell me his son does not have nearly as much control over managing the team as some believes he does.

On the other hand, no eventual extension will finally convince me Jones has relinquished enough of his GM autonomy and has made himself twice the joke he has always been as the GM. A pretend manager is worst than a substandard one.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Both Stephen and Jerry Jones are substandard football operational managers. Some observers place a great deal of weigh on the son having assumed a large portion of control over how the team is run. That can be true but it does not matter if the father is still acting upon his own autonomy and proving he is still making managerial decisions that will very likely affect the team--such as him acquiring Trey Lance.

I put little weight in Stephen Jones's actual controlling influence based on what has happened (or not happened) in the offseason so far. My opinion may change according to how Dak Prescott's situation is finally resolved.

I fully believe Jerry Jones will approve an extension keeping Prescott in Dallas for the next three to four seasons. That would tell me his son does not have nearly as much control over managing the team as some believes he does.

On the other hand, no eventual extension will finally convince me Jones has relinquished enough of his GM autonomy and has made himself twice the joke he has always been as the GM. A pretend manager is worst than a substandard one.
Jerry’s hero and mentor as an owner/GM was Al Davis. Big Al never relinquished power until his death at 82. The difference between him and Jerry was Al was a bonafide football man who once coached the raiders in the mid 60s.

As long as Jerry’s drawing breath he will be making the final decisions. Many Cowboys fans here believe Stephen is the de-facto GM. I’m not one of those who believe that. Stephen has the biggest influence on Jerry but the final ok, the spokesman of it all - the face of the franchise - will remain Jerry Jones until he joins the choir eternal.