How Much Money Would Jerry Jones Lose If He Stepped Down As GM?

kskboys

Reaction score
I mostly agree but I believe his inner desire is simply masked by his outside appearance everyone sees. Age has a habit of tricking the mirror.

And I extremely doubt he thinks he is responsible for diminishing his franchise's legacy. In fact, I believe he thinks the exact opposite. I think his self-belief would be measurably less if they had not gifted him with a Gold Jacket.
Yeah, it never enters his mind to think that way. If someone said it to him straight up, he still would not even give consideration to that thought.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
when you're old you don't know you're old. He thinks he's still in his prime and he's doing what he always does. Get your gear at looklikearealplayer.com so you too can support your team.

Creeper

Reaction score
Jerry is not in this for the money. He is in it for the attention he gets. If he were to step down, and really extricate himself from the team operations and decisions, who would want to talk to him? How many radio shows could he do? The media would seek out the guy in charge, not Jerry.

As much as I would welcome a new GM, I really believe Stephen is worse than Jerry and it is not close.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
??? Why not?

/early morning super rant
:)

My question about doing it with the owner was a rhetorical one. It makes no sense even if you do your example with him as a owner.

There is no relationship between greed and his position. Not to say he is not greedy. He is. I think everybody who has that much money and still wants to earn more is. But that is only one argument i want to give why i think he is greedy.

Still proving this thru his position is a tough one. Especially your questions (which of course you asked to prove your point) are not very useful just because no one can reliable answer those. You may end up earning more money, or less. Who knows and whats more there is nobody who can prove the outcome.

To me that he holds on to the GM position is first and forall about power and not so much the money.
But earning more money is also about achieving and sustaining power. Not with an income of 1 mils per year, but with his kind of income money equals power.

But what can someone say. This stems from the system you live in. Humans adapt to survive. And if a system rewards you when you are greedy and asocial people will become exactly that.
Of course in every community there are always as/oles and always the ones who are pure in the heart. But i am talking about the grey mass. The mainstream. People become whatever they are forced to become.

Give them a system which rewards them for being social, duty-bound, honest etc.. they will become that.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry is not in this for the money. He is in it for the attention he gets. If he were to step down, and really extricate himself from the team operations and decisions, who would want to talk to him? How many radio shows could he do? The media would seek out the guy in charge, not Jerry.

As much as I would welcome a new GM, I really believe Stephen is worse than Jerry and it is not close.
The media would seek out the head coach primarily, which would be a refreshing change from what has become norm over the past three decades. Even so, Jerry Jones would still have his radio spots. His mug would pop up on television with a mic stuck in his face. The only difference is that the media would not be feeding his attention slightly less.

Why? Because today's sports journalism does not usually target and focus only on the relevant story of the moment. It proactively goes for pumping out sensationalism.

Jones is entertaining, no matter who anyone sees him. And much of the sports media is geared for hyping entertainment. The media will avoid Jones only if he hides from it, lol.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My question about doing it with the owner was a rhetorical one. It makes no sense even if you do your example with him as a owner.
Okay.

There is no relationship between greed and his position. Not to say he is not greedy. He is.
Agreed. However, there have always been comments made (at least on CowboysZone) stating greed as a contributing factor. A general example:

"Jethro is all about making money. Fans are stupid for feeding his greedy money grubbing machine. Jethro would be forced to change how he runs the team if stupid fans would stop going to games and buying jerseys."

Change will only come about if Jones removes himself from direct football management in any capacity. Namely, allow fresh blood to weigh and execute all football-related decisions, from the lowest scout to the GM. Completely erasing Jones from that equation (and his main DNA Kid as well) allows all success, failure or anything in-between to occur without the smallest interference.

Now I understand there is no correlation between the GM and greed but others do. The correlation is made by the self-conclusion hurting his wallet will finally coerce him into saying 'No Mas' and step down as GM.

My nonsense sought to prod those with that conclusion to consider what might happen to Jones' bottom line if he was not the GM. Once it was established that he would remain a money making machine after removing himself from football operations, perhaps then the realization would be that the real issue is not greed. Instead, awareness would dawn that the central problem is his three-decade long inclusion in any of decision-making influencing what everyone sees on Sundays.

The associated by-product of the greed argument has been wanting to attack Jones through his wallet. Not a good strategy for someone with his mindset. The real target should always be his mindset.

Trying to financially bully a billionaire-many-times-over to get your way is like pushing a super yacht up a mountain by yourself. Sure. People can say 'WE CAN DO IT!' but that sucker will never move a micrometer.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
The question would be based on who became the GM. If he were to hand it over to Stephen, then I'd be completely done as a fan. If he handed it over to someone different I'd be more engaged than I currently am.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
I am not a fan of Jerry Jones (understatement) but the greed argument that is forever posted is, well, something else. Can someone answer the following IF Jones was only an owner and no longer a general manager?
  • How much money would Jones lose in stadium attendance sales?
  • How much money would Jones lose in team apparel sales?
  • How much money would Jones lose in sponsorships?
  • How much money would Jones lose in stadium concessions sales?
  • How much money would Jones lose in naming rights?
  • How much money would Jones lose in non-NFL stadium event sales?
Jones has a net worth in excess of $4.3 BILLION in Comstock Resources and Arkoma stock and private gas holdings alone (link). I said alone. Not one penny of it is tied up with the tickets, jerseys, caps or 12-ounce Miller Lite sales. So, a bonus question:

How much money would Jones lose in revenue outside the stadium, real estate, the league, etc.? You know. IF he ever went back to primarily being WHAT HE WAS before he kicked Jimmy Johnson to the curb? Back before he validated the self-belief he was the smartest general manager the NFL has ever seen?

I stole the following from a fellow member:

Please give me your thoughts.
Jerry wants to win more than any fan wants the Cowboys to win. He just isn’t good at winning championships. But he’s good at making money for himself, and for other NFL owners, which is why he’s in the Hall of Fame.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Jerry wants to win more than any fan wants the Cowboys to win. He just isn’t good at winning championships. But he’s good at making money for himself, and for other NFL owners, which is why he’s in the Hall of Fame.
Nah

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Okay.

Agreed. However, there have always been comments made (at least on CowboysZone) stating greed as a contributing factor. A general example:

"Jethro is all about making money. Fans are stupid for feeding his greedy money grubbing machine. Jethro would be forced to change how he runs the team if stupid fans would stop going to games and buying jerseys."

Change will only come about if Jones removes himself from direct football management in any capacity. Namely, allow fresh blood to weigh and execute all football-related decisions, from the lowest scout to the GM. Completely erasing Jones from that equation (and his main DNA Kid as well) allows all success, failure or anything in-between to occur without the smallest interference.

Now I understand there is no correlation between the GM and greed but others do. The correlation is made by the self-conclusion hurting his wallet will finally coerce him into saying 'No Mas' and step down as GM.

My nonsense sought to prod those with that conclusion to consider what might happen to Jones' bottom line if he was not the GM. Once it was established that he would remain a money making machine after removing himself from football operations, perhaps then the realization would be that the real issue is not greed. Instead, awareness would dawn that the central problem is his three-decade long inclusion in any of decision-making influencing what everyone sees on Sundays.

The associated by-product of the greed argument has been wanting to attack Jones through his wallet. Not a good strategy for someone with his mindset. The real target should always be his mindset.

Trying to financially bully a billionaire-many-times-over to get your way is like pushing a super yacht up a mountain by yourself. Sure. People can say 'WE CAN DO IT!' but that sucker will never move a micrometer.
Jones spent his fortune to buy his dream toy - the Cowboys. He’s going to play with his toy. So would you.

How many of you would spend your fortune to buy your dream car, and then hire someone else to drive it? None of you.

You would want to drive that car. The fact that you keep bumping into curbs and cannot seem to stay in your lane wouldn’t mean you would give up driving. You’d convince yourself you could be a better driver with more practice and just drive it more.

kevm3

Reaction score
He would make more money because given the right gm was hired, the cowboys would actually be winning.

kevm3

Reaction score
Jones spent his fortune to buy his dream toy - the Cowboys. He’s going to play with his toy. So would you.

How many of you would spend your fortune to buy your dream car, and then hire someone else to drive it? None of you.

You would want to drive that car. The fact that you keep bumping into curbs and cannot seem to stay in your lane wouldn’t mean you would give up driving. You’d convince yourself you could be a better driver with more practice and just drive it more.
If i bought a private plane and had no intention of becoming a pilot, I would let a professional pilot do his duties. I am trying to understand how the vast majority of owners don't treat their teams like personal play toys. We have had enough excuses from the Jones boys. They have demolished this franchise. Even the lions and bengals have been further than us in the past 27 years. Let that sink in.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The depressing part….

Even when Jerry is gone, and the kid decides to hire a real GM who hires a real coach, he will only handcuff them with his cheapness.

He has already said that they are likely to take LESS risk after Jerry.

At that point the “secret sauce (cheapness)” will be how many decades into failure?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

My friend, owners, in practically every professional sports team around the world, hire experienced professionals to drive their toys. Jones is not the exception but he is most assuredly an outliner in terms of managing a professional sports team.

Multi-millionaires. Multi-billionaires. North America. South America. Europe. Why would anyone hypothetically say they would not prefer having someone more qualified manage their teams when actual owners have always done just that in every hemisphere?

Edit: I would not tinker when it is logical to let others better equip to help achieve success.

Jayinem

Reaction score
There needs to be a psychological profile done on someone by the NFL before they buy a team. Unfortunately there's no oversite, you got the money you can buy the team.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Jerry Jones, not being general manager, removes him from any direct decision-making involving football management. It would not gag him or remake him into a wallflower. That is not possible.

It has been 30 years since Jimmy Johnson left. I believe some observers have either forgotten or were not following the Cowboys from the beginning of his ownership. Fact is, Jones was also PT Barnum before he had free reign mismanaging football operations.

In short, Jones would still be doing his act if were not the direct person hiring and firing coaches, acquiring and waiving players, identifying the best scouts, etc. The transition back to what he once was would increase time for him to do what he does best: make money. That means more opportunities attracting more eyeballs. cha-CHING.
But if Jerrys' decisions didn't decide policy, they'd be irrelevant, and no one would care. If no one cares about what you do, you don't have power to drive eyeballs. If you can't drive eyeballs, you aren't driving *money*.
No ka ching.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Jerry is much more concerned with glorifying the brand by selling it, whether it entails telling the truth or making stuff up! Talent acquisition, he leaves for Will McClay and the scouts. Of course, being proactive insofar as veteran talent outside of the organization doesn't move him, either. I sometimes wish he'd promote Will McClay to the position of GM but such ideas are destined to be taken in vain, as always. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But if Jerrys' decisions didn't decide policy, they'd be irrelevant, and no one would care. If no one cares about what you do, you don't have power to drive eyeballs. If you can't drive eyeballs, you aren't driving *money*.
No ka ching.
That is a unique way of describing how sports media would react. The same sports media, who fills talk show panels with media commentators instead of exclusively having individuals that played, coached, etc., in the sports they talk about. These people would never talk again with an National Football League owner about anything?

Someone who has been in the public eye (and in front of mics) intensively for going on four decades? Just vanish. Poof.

So Jones, the owner, would exit the locker room after a game. Media is waiting outside to talk with players and the head coach. No media person would ask him for a soundbite in that situation? After receiving tons of them from him over the years? Because the soundbite industry deemed him unimportant because Jones was no longer the team's GM?

Okay.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I am not a fan of Jerry Jones (understatement) but the greed argument that is forever posted is, well, something else. Can someone answer the following IF Jones was only an owner and no longer a general manager?
  • How much money would Jones lose in stadium attendance sales?
  • How much money would Jones lose in team apparel sales?
  • How much money would Jones lose in sponsorships?
  • How much money would Jones lose in stadium concessions sales?
  • How much money would Jones lose in naming rights?
  • How much money would Jones lose in non-NFL stadium event sales?
Jones has a net worth in excess of $4.3 BILLION in Comstock Resources and Arkoma stock and private gas holdings alone (link). I said alone. Not one penny of it is tied up with the tickets, jerseys, caps or 12-ounce Miller Lite sales. So, a bonus question:

How much money would Jones lose in revenue outside the stadium, real estate, the league, etc.? You know. IF he ever went back to primarily being WHAT HE WAS before he kicked Jimmy Johnson to the curb? Back before he validated the self-belief he was the smartest general manager the NFL has ever seen?

I stole the following from a fellow member:

Please give me your thoughts.
He would gain money if the GM that replaces him actually knows what he's doing. Winning a SB would significantly increase revenue, but that isn't going to happen because Jones is a curse from hell put on Cowboys fans.