How Much Money Would Jerry Jones Lose If He Stepped Down As GM?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am not a fan of Jerry Jones (understatement) but the greed argument that is forever posted is, well, something else. Can someone answer the following IF Jones was only an owner and no longer a general manager?
  • How much money would Jones lose in stadium attendance sales?
  • How much money would Jones lose in team apparel sales?
  • How much money would Jones lose in sponsorships?
  • How much money would Jones lose in stadium concessions sales?
  • How much money would Jones lose in naming rights?
  • How much money would Jones lose in non-NFL stadium event sales?
Jones has a net worth in excess of $4.3 BILLION in Comstock Resources and Arkoma stock and private gas holdings alone (link). I said alone. Not one penny of it is tied up with the tickets, jerseys, caps or 12-ounce Miller Lite sales. So, a bonus question:

How much money would Jones lose in revenue outside the stadium, real estate, the league, etc.? You know. IF he ever went back to primarily being WHAT HE WAS before he kicked Jimmy Johnson to the curb? Back before he validated the self-belief he was the smartest general manager the NFL has ever seen?

I stole the following from a fellow member:

Please give me your thoughts.
I'm confused by the question. A GM is just a salaried employee. Jones' revenue from all those things are from being the owner, not GM.

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
If 'control' means totally unnecessary self-glorification as an NFL GM, I agree.

It is a personal want but not a personal need. He has not been needed as a GM in any capacity since 2002 at the latest. Yet, it is 2024. He has amassed enormous super wealth and could have it all--the glory of being an NFL owner holding more Lombardi trophies--but without any involvement in football management. That is textbook selfishness. That's Jerry Jones.
Agree 100%

ICP

Reaction score
He would probably make even more money if he actually hired a good one that could build a team that could do something in the playoffs

fivetwos

Reaction score
I actually think it's much more simple. I think he claimed the "all in" thingie simply to keep fans interested.

Good stuff, BTW. Jerry Jones is definitely a fascinating psychological case study.
“All-in” meant that ‘we won’t be rebuilding in the coming season.’

That’s exactly what it sounded like to me, but people ran with it.

Then something else happens anyway. The kid runs the team. Jerry is just there these days feeling all powerful because he has final say.

Meanwhile I very seriously doubt either Jerry or his kid know much of anything about most of the players around the rest of the league. These are our co-GMs. Think about what a serious disadvantage that is…..

It’s actually shocking they got to the point that they did, but instead of adding the final pieces to get over the top, they figured it best to save a few million.

It’s nearly impossible to get far in this league with their genius strategy…aka “secret sauce.”

Leaves me with very little to no hope for the future.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
He would lose....
  • His weekly interview spot on TheFan FM
  • His weekly reporter round-up after a game win or loss in the locker room
  • His opening "state of the cowboys" press event on Training Camp Day One
  • A chance to sound off on every player from what he learned from the coaches in the media
  • The chance to say he built a Super Bowl Team by himself

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm confused by the question. A GM is just a salaried employee. Jones' revenue from all those things are from being the owner, not GM.
My apologies for the confusion. I am shooting at highlighting how the amount of money Jones makes as an owner does not matter to or influence him as far as his GM responsibilities. My hope is having those saying, he will either improve his performance as a GM or forcefully remove himself as GM if he suffered financial losses, is not logical.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My apologies for the confusion. I am shooting at highlighting how the amount of money Jones makes as an owner does not matter to or influence him as far as his GM responsibilities. My hope is having those saying, he will either improve his performance as a GM or forcefully remove himself as GM if he suffered financial losses, is not logical.
I actually realized later that was probably your point, but it was too late for me to delete my post by then.

But in response to your point, I'm not sure what people mean when they talk about Jerry only caring about money is related to the idea that he would lose money if someone else had more control, but rather that he doesn't care if him being the GM is affecting team results as long as the team is making money.

That said, I'm sure Jerry does think of himself as the best promoter of the team and brand, but I don't know that he necessarily thinks of himself as the best GM. He actually admitted several years ago that if someone else had been GM and gotten the same results he would have fired him.

But I do think he cares about winning, but his desire to control everything, and to win in a way where he feels he will be viewed as the mastermind of it, overrides the common sense that someone else could do a better job as GM. In short, he lets his ego get in the way.

Last edited:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He would lose....
  • His weekly interview spot on TheFan FM
  • His weekly reporter round-up after a game win or loss in the locker room
  • His opening "state of the cowboys" press event on Training Camp Day One
  • A chance to sound off on every player from what he learned from the coaches in the media
  • The chance to say he built a Super Bowl Team by himself
Not sure why he loses out on bullet points one through four. He can continue doing all four in the capacity as an owner only. Other owners do combinations of all those mentioned but less frequently and vocally.

The fifth example is right on the nose. It is one of the main reasons why even the GM title by itself will not be pried away from himself unless it is from his cold, dead fingers.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I actually realized later that was probably your point, but it was too late for me to delete my post by then.

But in response to you point, I'm not sure what people mean when they talk about Jerry only caring about money is related to the idea that he would lose money if someone else had more control, but rather that he doesn't care if him being the GM is affecting team results as long as the team is making money.

That said, I'm sure Jerry does think of himself as the best promoter of the team and brand, but I don't know that he necessarily thinks of himself as the best GM. He actually admitted several years ago that if someone else had been GM and gotten the same results he would have fired him.

But I do think he cares about winning, but his desire to control everything, and to win in a way where he feels he will be viewed as the mastermind of it, overrides the common sense that someone else could do a better job as GM. In short, he lets his ego get in the way.
Bold> I think your assumption is correct in most instances when people talk about greed. Here's the thing though. Jones differentiates between what he does as an owner and as a GM.

His number one goal from Day One was being the most successful and profitable NFL owner ever. That motivation did not change after Jimmy Johnson's departure. He would only work harder as an owner to overcome negative impacts to his bottom line. For example, Jones would go PT Barnum X 2, media PR campaign to fill 20,000 empty stadium seats if ticket buyers became that disinterested. He would react the exact same way he has always done when he already had sellouts.

The disconnect is believing 20,000, 30,000, 50,000 empty seats would motivate him into relinquishing his title and anything he does as a GM. The man would have pinked slipped himself as a GM during or immediately following the Dave Campo era if he associated poor football management performance to a possibility of losing money. It did not happen because he does not think that way.

In simplest terms, greed motivates him as an owner but not as a GM.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bold> I think your assumption is correct in most instances when people talk about greed. Here's the thing though. Jones differentiates between what he does as an owner and as a GM.

His number one goal from Day One was being the most successful and profitable NFL owner ever. That motivation did not change after Jimmy Johnson's departure. He would only work harder as an owner to overcome negative impacts to his bottom line. For example, Jones would go PT Barnum X 2, media PR campaign to fill 20,000 empty stadium seats if ticket buyers became that disinterested. He would react the exact same way he has always done when he already had sellouts.

The disconnect is believing 20,000, 30,000, 50,000 empty seats would motivate him into relinquishing his title and anything he does as a GM. The man would have pinked slipped himself as a GM during or immediately following the Dave Campo era if he associated poor football management performance to a possibility of losing money. It did not happen because he does not think that way.

In simplest terms, greed motivates him as an owner but not as a GM.
Agreed. It's ego that motivates him as a GM

kskboys

Reaction score
“All-in” meant that ‘we won’t be rebuilding in the coming season.’

That’s exactly what it sounded like to me, but people ran with it.

Then something else happens anyway. The kid runs the team. Jerry is just there these days feeling all powerful because he has final say.

Meanwhile I very seriously doubt either Jerry or his kid know much of anything about most of the players around the rest of the league. These are our co-GMs. Think about what a serious disadvantage that is…..

It’s actually shocking they got to the point that they did, but instead of adding the final pieces to get over the top, they figured it best to save a few million.

It’s nearly impossible to get far in this league with their genius strategy…aka “secret sauce.”

Leaves me with very little to no hope for the future.
I actually don't think it means anything. Just more crapp he spews.

plasticman

Reaction score
He would make more money, not less.

Jerry's active participation in all aspects of the franchise has a polarizing effect on some.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I am not a fan of Jerry Jones (understatement) but the greed argument that is forever posted is, well, something else. Can someone answer the following IF Jones was only an owner and no longer a general manager?
Jones has a net worth in excess of $4.3 BILLION in Comstock Resources and Arkoma stock and private gas holdings alone (link). I said alone. Not one penny of it is tied up with the tickets, jerseys, caps or 12-ounce Miller Lite sales. So, a bonus question:

How much money would Jones lose in revenue outside the stadium, real estate, the league, etc.? You know. IF he ever went back to primarily being WHAT HE WAS before he kicked Jimmy Johnson to the curb? Back before he validated the self-belief he was the smartest general manager the NFL has ever seen?

If Jerry were not GM, his Barnum and Bailey Circus would be deprived of one of its biggest acts. Him as GM.
Fewer eyeballs means less money.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Jerry were not GM, his Barnum and Bailey Circus would be deprived of one of its biggest acts. Him as GM.
Fewer eyeballs means less money.
Jerry Jones, not being general manager, removes him from any direct decision-making involving football management. It would not gag him or remake him into a wallflower. That is not possible.

It has been 30 years since Jimmy Johnson left. I believe some observers have either forgotten or were not following the Cowboys from the beginning of his ownership. Fact is, Jones was also PT Barnum before he had free reign mismanaging football operations.

In short, Jones would still be doing his act if were not the direct person hiring and firing coaches, acquiring and waiving players, identifying the best scouts, etc. The transition back to what he once was would increase time for him to do what he does best: make money. That means more opportunities attracting more eyeballs. cha-CHING.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Honestly I don't think it's ever been money, it's solely about ego.
He's been trying to prove he can be HC and win without a blue chip QB. Those 2 positions are the ONLY ONES he'd be required to share the glory with.
Fortunately I feel He's given up on that as his clock is winding down. he doesn't want to check out being the guy who destroyed the Cowboys legacy of championships.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Honestly I don't think it's ever been money, it's solely about ego.
He's been trying to prove he can be HC and win without a blue chip QB. Those 2 positions are the ONLY ONES he'd be required to share the glory with.
Fortunately I feel He's given up on that as his clock is winding down. he doesn't want to check out being the guy who destroyed the Cowboys legacy of championships.
I mostly agree but I believe his inner desire is simply masked by his outside appearance everyone sees. Age has a habit of tricking the mirror.

And I extremely doubt he thinks he is responsible for diminishing his franchise's legacy. In fact, I believe he thinks the exact opposite. I think his self-belief would be measurably less if they had not gifted him with a Gold Jacket.