How much would Byron Jones cost?

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
He got toasted playing corner as a rookie which is why he was moved to safety. Now that he hasn’t looked good playing safety they’re moving him back to corner. He’s nothing but a JAG.
It's easy to say that, but film tells the real story.
He doesn't get burned often at all.
Not nearly as much as Carr/Claiborne
would get burned.
He covered Fitzgerald in the slot in the Arizona game six plays in a row and kept tight coverage and IIRC wasn't even targeted.
When the defense was getting gashed by Philly and Wentz, he kept Ertz in check. Does a good job against Washington's TE Reed.
Gave up a long catch to Kelce in the Chiefs game, otherwise solid job.
In multiple games against GB he's done a nice job covering Cobb, rarely targeted.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
giphy.gif

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It's easy to say that, but film tells the real story.
He doesn't get burned often at all.
Not nearly as much as Carr/Claiborne
would get burned.
He covered Fitzgerald in the slot in the Arizona game six plays in a row and kept tight coverage and IIRC wasn't even targeted.
When the defense was getting gashed by Philly and Wentz, he kept Ertz in check. Does a good job against Washington's TE Reed.
Gave up a long catch to Kelce in the Chiefs game, otherwise solid job.
In multiple games against GB he's done a nice job covering Cobb, rarely targeted.

What tells the story is the moving around the team has him doing to try and get something out of him. I’ve seen enough of him to know he’s a JAG. He hasn’t been the player the Cowboys were hoping for. They drafted him hoping he could play corner but he kept getting toasted so they moved him to safety. The move to safety hasn’t gone well because he doesn’t have the instincts to play safety. He ended up getting benched during the season that tells you how it’s gone for him at safety. Now they’re going to give him one more chance a corner. The Cowboys are doing everything they can to try and save face on that pick.

Last edited:

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
I’ve seen enough film on him to know he’s a JAG. So far is been a disappointment. The Cowboys drafted him hoping he could play corner but he kept getting toasted so they moved him to safety. The move to safety hasn’t gone well because he doesn’t have the instincts to play safety. He ended up getting benched during the season that tells you how it’s going for him at safety. Now they’re going to give him one more chance a corner. The Cowboys are doing everything they can to try and save face on that pick.
He's too hesitant and not physical
enough at safety for me.
Again, i disagree about his coverage ability.
I think there was talk shortly after that draft
of them wanting him at safety.
I think that's where they jumped the gun.
He's a CB, IMO.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He's too hesitant and not physical
enough at safety for me.
Again, i disagree about his coverage ability.
I think there was talk shortly after that draft
of them wanting him at safety.
I think that's where they jumped the gun.

I believe they wanted him to play corner when they first drafted him which is why they had him playing a lot of corner. Claiborne had been a bust and we needed a good cover corner. The book on Jones coming out of the draft was that he would be better covering TEs than WRs. He supposedly runs in the 4.3 range but during camp 2 years ago, Witten put a move on him and beat him like a dead horse.

Once Witten got by him it was over. That play was posted and created a lot of discussion on the board. Jones isn’t an instinctive player. He gets out of position a lot and is easily fooled which is why safety hasn’t worked out for him.. If he doesn’t play well at corner in 2018 he’s not likely to see a second contract with the team. It’s pretty much make or break time for him with the Cowboys.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I wouldn't take that bet because you are going to be right.

He’s only betting $50. It’s been a while since Jones played corner and the first time didn’t go very well. Next to QB corner is arguably the toughest position to play. When a team is moving a player around from position to position that’s not a good sign.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Learning experience. Be wary of players who rise in the draft because of the broad jump at the combine. For that matter be wary of WR's with top 40 times, every one has been a bust or a blip

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I like BJones and think he has been and is still our best cover FS

He jumped right in and filled an immediate need and did so successfully

He hasn't created a lot of turnovers but he doesn't get beat deep a lot either

I'm not sure he is worth 6m on the 5th year option but I do want to r-sign him for around 4-5m a year, especially since we have no replacement..... I would exercise it just to buy time to get a better deal

glimmerman

Reaction score
He should give us a year for free after letting rogers do that to him in the playoffs. After they killed themselves to get back in the game.

HanD

Reaction score
He’s only betting $50. It’s been a while since Jones played corner and the first time didn’t go very well. Next to QB corner is arguably the toughest position to play. When a team is moving a player around from position to position that’s not a good sign.

it's not teams. in this case it is the cowboys and related to the whole position flex thing and not letting a player get 1 position down to excel at it. lael and how he played tackle then guard now back to tackle. cahz how he did well at tackle then they moved him and he struggled at guard. crawford and moving in and out between end and tackle. collins at 1 and 3t. so many cases of this team's coaches failing the players and not putting them in position to succeed. why was jones moved between positions so much as a rookie? i don't believe it was because he sucked, just that he had flex ability and they confused the hell out of him by making him learn multiple positions....

Aven8

Reaction score
I wonder what standing broad jumper our scouts will fall for this year.....:cool:

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
He should give us a year for free after letting rogers do that to him in the playoffs. After they killed themselves to get back in the game.
He let the OL hold all our players so ARod could roll out and wait 10 seconds before he completed a miracle pass......it is so easy to cover WRs for 10 seconds and out think ARod.....it was all BJones' fault

phildadon86

Reaction score
:lmao2:

Do you know why the Cowboys staff moved him to safety? Because he couldn't cover man to man. See Cowboys vs Commanders week 17 2015

He was absolutely abused by WRs....And now fans want the team to move him back to CB because they think he is gonna turn into Richard Sherman.

Jesus...The Dallas Cowboys have some of the dumbest fans.:facepalm:
This coming from the guy who said Kellen Moore was going to unseat Romo as starting QB. I agree we do have some really dumb fans. lol. Sorry man youre never living that one down. Even if you were kidding. All in good fun though

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
it's not teams. in this case it is the cowboys and related to the whole position flex thing and not letting a player get 1 position down to excel at it. lael and how he played tackle then guard now back to tackle. cahz how he did well at tackle then they moved him and he struggled at guard. crawford and moving in and out between end and tackle. collins at 1 and 3t. so many cases of this team's coaches failing the players and not putting them in position to succeed. why was jones moved between positions so much as a rookie? i don't believe it was because he sucked, just that he had flex ability and they confused the hell out of him by making him learn multiple positions....

Jones isn’t being moved around because he’s flexible he’s being moved around because he’s been inconsistent.