How much would Byron Jones cost?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jones isn’t being moved around because he’s flexible he’s being moved around because he’s been inconsistent.

Bingo. Moving Jones to CB is a last ditch effort to salvage a guy we spent a first round pick on.

1972COWBOY

Reaction score
As someone who live in Connecticut, can I ask was Byron good when he played for UCONN ?

Maverick84

Reaction score
after the Rodgers play at the end of the game in the 2016 playoffs, what he should be costing is the price of a funeral.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is removing a part from the whole. How much is the entire D going to cost and where does he fit into the overall? Forget his draft position because that fades over time and every team has to admit misses. He did not get that draft position from his skill as a DB, he got it as a Combine star. The Stanback Syndrome. And nothing seduces GM's that do not stick to a plan better than Combine stars.

How much to keep Lawrence, Hitches and Irving? By the time Jones' option year rolls around, who else is critical and how much will they cost? And not just on the D side. How does his skill level vs cost fit into the overall?

Jones got a lot of buzz his rookie season for playing so many positions in the secondary because of necessity but did he play as a 1st rounder at any of them? What is he, CB or S? Even they can't decide because he hasn't owned either position.

All that chin boogie from analysts over a singled out play is worthless. The key to the secondary is consistency and he graded out the best in 2016 and then they let the other 3 walk, that tells more than touting him. He was the cutest puppy in a homely litter and we'll see that litter this season but he might end up the ugly puppy this time.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
after the Rodgers play at the end of the game in the 2016 playoffs, what he should be costing is the price of a funeral.
My problem with that was not the play, it was what followed. He said his coaches told him to play it that way. I don't know many secondary coaches that would tell their player to stand in no man's land staring down the QB. Granted, Rodgers is one of the hardest QB's to defend, especially when a DB does exactly what he wants them to do.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think he was 1st team all cr-appy conference. Basically , he was considered a round 3-5 pick prior to his combine performance.

Amen. The Cowboys have a history of placing too much value on athleticism and not enough on their instincts. It bites them in the butt far too often. Then there's the position flexibility issue that often causes their natural abilities to be compromised. Too much poor management in the FO and in the coaching ranks as well.

Last edited:

HanD

Reaction score
Jones isn’t being moved around because he’s flexible he’s being moved around because he’s been inconsistent.

he was moved around his rookie year in training camp learning 2 positions. they had no idea about his consistency at the beginning of rookie training camp. they were even doing some of it this year with awuzie. it is what this coaching staff does and sometimes to the detriment of the player's development.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/article30360600.html
august 2015
Jones has already lined up at multiple positions in camp, getting most of his work at cornerback and being used in the nickel and dime packages. He has also seen time at free safety. And let’s not forget Jones’ special teams duties.

http://www.5pointsblue.com/rookie-byron-jones-jumps-at-opportunity-no-matter-how-high/
Oct 2015
As if that reality wasn’t enough on his plate, Jones arrived all smiles at Valley Ranch to be told he needed to learn the cornerback and safety position, as well as the challenging role covering tight ends in dime sets.

I knew coming in, that was going to be my job description,” Jones said. “For me, it was trying to understand the defense in its entirety in multiple positions. I like it; it’s a good challenge. Gotta study extra to know what corner, safety and dime position is doing. It’s a great challenge.”

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
As someone who live in Connecticut, can I ask was Byron good when he played for UCONN ?
He was rated a 7th round/UFA type before the combine, what does that tell you?

I was one of the very few on the old site who was against drafting him. Most were excited.

HanD

Reaction score
He was rated a 7th round/UFA type before the combine, what does that tell you?

I was one of the very few on the old site who was against drafting him. Most were excited.

to be fair, i wanted malcolm brown but jones' stock was especially low before the combine because he was coming off a substantial shoulder injury and hadn't been playing. i don't think he was ever truly a 7th round/udfa type. maybe a mid rounder.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
he was moved around his rookie year in training camp learning 2 positions. they had no idea about his consistency at the beginning of training camp. they were even doing some of it this year with awuzie.

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/article30360600.html
august 2015
Jones has already lined up at multiple positions in camp, getting most of his work at cornerback and being used in the nickel and dime packages. He has also seen time at free safety. And let’s not forget Jones’ special teams duties.

http://www.5pointsblue.com/rookie-byron-jones-jumps-at-opportunity-no-matter-how-high/
Oct 2015
As if that reality wasn’t enough on his plate, Jones arrived all smiles at Valley Ranch to be told he needed to learn the cornerback and safety position, as well as the challenging role covering tight ends in dime sets.

I knew coming in, that was going to be my job description,” Jones said. “For me, it was trying to understand the defense in its entirety in multiple positions. I like it; it’s a good challenge. Gotta study extra to know what corner, safety and dime position is doing. It’s a great challenge.”

He didn’t excel at corner or safety when he came into the league so the Cowboys had to figure out what position best suited him. They moved him around having him learn both positions. Coming out of college no one knew if he was an NFL corner or safety but most felt he would be better as a safety covering TEs. I believe the Cowboys were hoping he could play corner because Claiborne had been a bust and they needed someone to replace him. Jones ended up getting toasted at corner as a rookie being beat miserably on some plays, which prompted the move to safety.

He’s been so disappointing at safety he ended up getting benched. He doesn’t have the instincts to be a safety so now the team is going to give him one more chance at corner. This is going to be it for Jones, he either plays well or he’ll likely be a free agent when his contract is up.

CCBoy

Reaction score
:lmao2:

Do you know why the Cowboys staff moved him to safety? Because he couldn't cover man to man. See Cowboys vs Commanders week 17 2015

He was absolutely abused by WRs....And now fans want the team to move him back to CB because they think he is gonna turn into Richard Sherman.

Jesus...The Dallas Cowboys have some of the dumbest fans.:facepalm:

Yea all other fans boil down to insultive stupids...

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
:lmao2:

Do you know why the Cowboys staff moved him to safety? Because he couldn't cover man to man. See Cowboys vs Commanders week 17 2015

He was absolutely abused by WRs....And now fans want the team to move him back to CB because they think he is gonna turn into Richard Sherman.

Jesus...The Dallas Cowboys have some of the dumbest fans.:facepalm:
He may very well be best at Zone CB.
Let's him use his athleticism and that's his best asset.
The cover 3 zone concept could work well with Jones.

But yes his man coverage skills are very overrated.

HanD

Reaction score
He didn’t excel at corner or safety when he came into the league so the Cowboys had to figure out what position best suited him. They moved him around having him learn both positions. Coming out of college no one knew if he was an NFL corner or safety but most felt he would be better as a safety covering TEs. I believe the Cowboys were hoping he could play corner because Claiborne had been a bust and they needed someone to replace him. Jones ended up getting toasted at corner as a rookie being beat miserably on some plays, which prompted the move to safety.

He’s been so disappointing at safety he ended up getting benched. He doesn’t have the instincts to be a safety so now the team is going to give him one more chance at corner. This is going to be it for Jones, he either plays well or he’ll likely be a free agent when his contract is up.

Teams dont have u learn safety based on 2 weeks of training camp your rookie season. He hadnt shown he wouldnt succeed at cb before they had him learn multiple spots. The plan all along was being cute with multiple spots. Show me where in training camp anyone said he was toast and was learning fs because as you said he was inconsistent at cb or was miserably which prompted his move. Ive quoted him and articles showing he was learning both spots from the start.

Another stupid thing is having him play not exclusively high he was never going to succeed having to spend sometime low. The move back to cb now is obviously the last resort but it wasnt why he was moved to safety as a rookie

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Teams dont have u learn safety based on 2 weeks of training camp your rookie season. He hadnt shown he wouldnt succeed at cb before they had him learn multiple spots. The plan all along was being cute with multiple spots. Show me where in training camp anyone said he was toast and was learning fs because as you said he was inconsistent at cb or was miserably which prompted his move. Ive quoted him and articles showing he was learning both spots from the start.

Another stupid thing is having him play not exclusively high he was never going to succeed having to spend sometime low. The move back to cb now is obviously the last resort but it wasnt why he was moved to safety as a rookie

Say what you will but he didn’t play well at corner his rookie year which is why the team moved him to safety and kept him there. His play was so poor at times last season he got benched. Garrett admitted after his benching that his play had been inconsistent and wasn’t up to standards. The move back to corner is the last resort. Jones knows going into his 4th season that 2018 will be a make or break for him with the Cowboys.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
He got toasted playing corner as a rookie which is why he was moved to safety. Now that he hasn’t looked good playing safety they’re moving him back to corner. He’s nothing but a JAG.
Well this is about as far from the truth as you can get.

Short term memory