How much would Byron Jones cost?

kumizi

Reaction score
Byron Jones is a one trick pony. He can do a decent job on TEs or slow and big WRs. Decent. Not amazing. (Remember the loss to Green Bay)

He looks absolutely terrified of making a tackle as a safety.

And I honestly do not understand all the talk of making him a cornerback. I guess since he hasn’t failed there yet, people are desperately hoping he’d be ok there. He simply does not have the hip fluidity and change of direction to be a good cornerback.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
:lmao2:

Do you know why the Cowboys staff moved him to safety? Because he couldn't cover man to man. See Cowboys vs Commanders week 17 2015

He was absolutely abused by WRs....And now fans want the team to move him back to CB because they think he is gonna turn into Richard Sherman.

Jesus...The Dallas Cowboys have some of the dumbest fans.:facepalm:

Exactly, What needs to happen is he needs to go back to playing FS. Thats why signing a Vaccaro would be a smart signing. Or if the team thinks they have better fit with Heath playing FS then go with him and Frazier. And try and trade Jones. Dallas has a very good thing going with Lewis Awuzie Woods and Brown. Jones is a classic case of a great athlete being over drafted by the team.

Hadenough

Reaction score
:lmao2:

Do you know why the Cowboys staff moved him to safety? Because he couldn't cover man to man. See Cowboys vs Commanders week 17 2015

He was absolutely abused by WRs....And now fans want the team to move him back to CB because they think he is gonna turn into Richard Sherman.

Jesus...The Dallas Cowboys have some of the dumbest fans.:facepalm:
Growing pains is what Byron had in 2015. Not to mention how can a guy learn a position when ever since he was a rookie he was moved all over the place and asked to play different positions along with covering for Jeff Heath while he is learning too! Everyone has bad game! Didnt Zeke only manage 9 yards rushing against Denver. Dak has had some pretty ugly games too.
Byron is just everyone else on this team, he is self taught and sometimes that way of learning takes a little longer. Besides only 6mil year is cheap compared to what Dez gets Byron looks like a steal!! Extend his rookie contract and lets see what this new DB coach from Seattle do with him.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Exactly, What needs to happen is he needs to go back to playing FS. Thats why signing a Vaccaro would be a smart signing. Or if the team thinks they have better fit with Heath playing FS then go with him and Frazier. And try and trade Jones. Dallas has a very good thing going with Lewis Awuzie Woods and Brown. Jones is a classic case of a great athlete being over drafted by the team.
Heath isnt a FS but I actually like the idea of Frazier taking Heaths job! Excellent tackler!

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Heath isnt a FS but I actually like the idea of Frazier taking Heaths job! Excellent tackler!
Heath and Frazier both were playing FS last yr when Jones got pushed over to SS basically. Wether thats because Heath was better in getting turnovers or if Jones was better in the box who knows. But Jones playing them SS duties was a huge mistake. If the team thought Heath was better roaming the backend then they shouldve just replace Jones and played both Heath and Frazier as starters and have Jones come in, in sub packages.

HanD

Reaction score
Say what you will but he didn’t play well at corner his rookie year which is why the team moved him to safety and kept him there. His play was so poor at times last season he got benched. Garrett admitted after his benching that his play had been inconsistent and wasn’t up to standards. The move back to corner is the last resort. Jones knows going into his 4th season that 2018 will be a make or break for him with the Cowboys.

no one disputes that. i only attempted to clarify that he was already playing and learning fs at training camp his rookie year. his learning fs wasn't from poor play at cb because it started from when he arrived. loading rookies up with multiple positions doesn't help them acclimate to the nfl imo. that doesn't however excuse his under performance. the only thing he did was play gronk well which was surprising.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Well this is about as far from the truth as you can get.

Short term memory

If it’s far from the truth then how come he wasn’t kept at corner? He started four games at corner as a rookie and got beat on several occasions prompting the team to start him at safety for seven games feeling he would be better covering TEs. The problem at safety is he lacks instincts and is never around the football. He’s not very good against the run and only has two INT’s. After three seasons he’s looking like a bust.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
no one disputes that. i only attempted to clarify that he was already playing and learning fs at training camp his rookie year. his learning fs wasn't from poor play at cb because it started from when he arrived. loading rookies up with multiple positions doesn't help them acclimate to the nfl imo. that doesn't however excuse his under performance. the only thing he did was play gronk well which was surprising.

He was learning both positions because the team was trying to figure out what he is. After three full seasons they’re still trying to figure it out what he is.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
If it’s far from the truth then how come he wasn’t kept at corner? He started four games at corner as a rookie and got beat on several occasions prompting the team to start him at safety for seven games feeling he would be better covering TEs. The problem at safety is he lacks instincts and is never around the football. He’s not very good against the run and only has two INT’s. After three seasons he’s looking like a bust.

He didnt only play four games at CB his rookie season...? What are you talking about?

He was moved due to need. We had Carr, Scandy, Claiborne already in place and it was either start Byron over one of them and have Heath start, or start him at safety to save themselves from Heath starting. Wasnt a hard choice.

He's far from a bust lmao.

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
He didnt only play four games at CB his rookie season...? What are you talking about?

He was moved due to need. We had Carr, Scandy, Claiborne already in place and it was either start Byron over one of them and have Heath start, or start him at safety to save themselves from Heath starting. Wasnt a hard choice.

IMO, I re-watched several of the games from 2015-2017 here recently and I lean towards
the idea of Byron being our primary slot CB.
What do you think? Because i don't think he's
a bad FS, but IMO, his tackling is good for a CB, not for a FS. I'd like better instincts at FS.
Also, I'd really like to keep Jourdan Lewis outside; he's sticky in coverage even against #1 WRs and plays bigger than his size.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

What are you talking about? According to the first article he started four games at corner his rookie year. Can you provide a source that disputes that? According to the second article he’s looking like a bust. Can you provide any links that say he’s looked solid the past three seasons?

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/prof...d-move-byron-jones-from-safety-to-corner/amp/

https://scout.com/nfl/cowboys/Board...s-looking-more-and-more-like-a-bust-107665595

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
What are you talking about? According to the first article he started four games at corner his rookie year. Can you provide a source that disputes that? According to the second article he’s looking like a bust. Can you provide any links that say he’s looked solid the past three seasons?

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/prof...d-move-byron-jones-from-safety-to-corner/amp/

https://scout.com/nfl/cowboys/Board...s-looking-more-and-more-like-a-bust-107665595

"Byron Jones played boundary CB for a total of 249 snaps in 2015...

For reference... Orlando Scandrick played 213 snaps as a boundary CB in 2017...

How can anyone declare Jones isn't a CB at this point?"

Tell me again how he only played CB 4 games his rookie year LMAO. What are you talking about?

Did you really just link a forum discussion to use as proof a player is a bust? Are yiu serious? Jesus christ.

Here's a link listing him as one of the top 25 best players under the age of 25.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-best-player-under-25-years-old-at-every-defensive-position

Do better.

Here's another
https://thelandryhat.com/2016/10/22/dallas-cowboys-defense-breakdown/2/

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
"Byron Jones played boundary CB for a total of 249 snaps in 2015...

For reference... Orlando Scandrick played 213 snaps as a boundary CB in 2017...

How can anyone declare Jones isn't a CB at this point?"

Tell me again how he only played CB 4 games his rookie year LMAO. What are you talking about?

Did you really just link a forum discussion to use as proof a player is a bust? Are yiu serious? Jesus christ.

Here's a link listing him as one of the top 25 best players under the age of 25.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-best-player-under-25-years-old-at-every-defensive-position

Do better.

Here's another
https://thelandryhat.com/2016/10/22/dallas-cowboys-defense-breakdown/2/

Who are you trying to kid? LOL The first article was from May 2017 four months prior to the season and Jones was listed as an honorable mention at safety. His game at safety fell off so much in 2017 he was benched and now he’s being moved to corner as a last ditch attempt to get some consistent play out of him before he becomes a FA. The second link you posted was from a year ago from a Cowboys homer site. You don’t think the Landry hat is bias? Get real! Stop diverting and provide a source that says he didn’t start at corner for four games his rookie season. I provided a source that said he did.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I think the Cowboys should move on from Jones when his contract is up. More times than not, he is position to make a play, but can't close the deal.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Who are you trying to kid? LOL The first article was from May 2017 four months prior to the season and Jones was listed as an honorable mention at safety. His game at safety fell off so much in 2017 he was benched and now he’s being moved to corner as a last ditch attempt to get some consistent play out of him before he becomes a FA. The second link you posted was from a year ago from a Cowboys homer site. You don’t think the Landry hat is bias? Get real! Stop diverting and provide a source that says he didn’t start at corner for four games his rookie season. I provided a source that said he did.
I provided a stat that proved he didn't. What else you got?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
BJones started 2015 by playing some CB but JJ Wilcox was terrible at FS and BJones switched over to help the team and finished the year as the starting FS getting 100% of the snaps

I would call that a huge success for a rookie

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I provided a stat that proved he didn't. What else you got?

You haven’t provided anything but hot air. You claimed Jones didn’t have four starts at corner his rookie year when I provided a link that said he did. You were proven wrong! You then attempted to prop Jones up by providing a link prior to the 2017 season that listed him as an honorable mention at safety for players under 25. Do you think he would make that list now? Lol You provided a link from the Landry Hat from a year ago which is a Cowboys homer site. You honestly believe that site is going to provide any honest, objective opinion’s on the Cowboys? Lol

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
You haven’t provided anything but hot air. You claimed Jones didn’t have four starts at corner his rookie year when I provided a link that said he did. You were proven wrong! You then attempted to prop Jones up by providing a link prior to the 2017 season that listed him as an honorable mention at safety for players under 25. Do you think he would make that list now? Lol You provided a link from the Landry Hat from a year ago which is a Cowboys homer site. You honestly believe that site is going to provide any honest, objective opinion’s on the Cowboys? Lol
You're a waste of time lmao.

Discrediting the Landry Hat, but using a fan forum as your own link? LOL doesnt get much more dumb than that.

So providing stats showing BJones snaps as outside corner is hot air...? Hahaha take a lap dude, you look so bad right now.