How on Earth is Garrett NOT Coach of the Year?

Nav22

Reaction score
Bruce Arians: took a 10-6 team to 11-5 and a Wild Card berth, then lost to Carolina.

Jason Garrett: took an 8-8 team that was supposed to finish worse than that... led them to a 12-4 record and division title, then won a playoff game before narrowly losing in Lambeau. 8-0 on the road in the regular season, entered the playoffs red-hot.

You want to talk about the "injuries" Arians had to deal with? Fine, let's talk injuries.

The Cards started out red-hot with Palmer... then fell off considerably with Stanton... before limping to an AWFUL finish with Lindley.

WHY IS THAT IMPRESSIVE? Isn't that what's SUPPOSED to happen when you lose your starting QB then the backup as well? Why is Arians being rewarded for that, as if the team VASTLY overachieved despite the injuries?

And I don't need to point out that the Cowboys had injuries of their own to deal with. We lost Sean Lee and Romo played through stuff all year.

It's ABSURD that the Cards losing their top 2 QBs basically clinched this award for Arians when they limped to the finish line. No team in the league showed more fight than Dallas. We came into the season with FAR fewer expectations than the Cards and got farther than they did. We dominated close games all season and it took a ridiculous call to help knock us out. Just wish Garrett and the staff had been rewarded for the impressive season we just had.

Titleist

Reaction score
I see three reasons why Arians was chosen over Garrett:

1) Arians had a terrible, Weeden-esque QB situation for most of the year yet still managed to get his team to the playoffs. We had Romo who was the top QB in the league this year (IMO, Romo was better than Rodgers, but that's a discussion for another thread).

2) The Cowboys became more successful with Garrett doing less. Arians did almost everything personnel-wise for the Cards.

3) The Cowboys always get shafted when it comes to awards like this. Another example is the MVP which should have been Romo.

visionary

Reaction score
I see three reasons why Arians was chosen over Garrett:

1) Arians had a terrible, Weeden-esque QB situation for most of the year yet still managed to get his team to the playoffs. We had Romo who was the top QB in the league this year (IMO, Romo was better than Rodgers, but that's a discussion for another thread).

2) The Cowboys became more successful with Garrett doing less. Arians did almost everything personnel-wise for the Cards.

3) The Cowboys always get shafted when it comes to awards like this. Another example is the MVP which should have been Romo.

Good points , also even though it is a coach of the year award voters perceptions are colored by your history. Arians did a great job as interim HC in indi and had done a superb job in AZ did 2 years

Mansta54

Reaction score
To me, the thought of JG doing less is ridiculous. He did more in my view and became a true HC by overseeing the defense and ST's more then he ever did. He usually focused on the offense in the past and allowed his D coordinator pretty much do his own thing. That was NOT the case this past season. He was a true HC.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Bruce Arians: took a 10-6 team to 11-5 and a Wild Card berth, then lost to Carolina.

Jason Garrett: took an 8-8 team that was supposed to finish worse than that... led them to a 12-4 record and division title, then won a playoff game before narrowly losing in Lambeau. 8-0 on the road in the regular season, entered the playoffs red-hot.

You want to talk about the "injuries" Arians had to deal with? Fine, let's talk injuries.

The Cards started out red-hot with Palmer... then fell off considerably with Stanton... before limping to an AWFUL finish with Lindley.

WHY IS THAT IMPRESSIVE? Isn't that what's SUPPOSED to happen when you lose your starting QB then the backup as well? Why is Arians being rewarded for that, as if the team VASTLY overachieved despite the injuries?

And I don't need to point out that the Cowboys had injuries of their own to deal with. We lost Sean Lee and Romo played through stuff all year.

It's ABSURD that the Cards losing their top 2 QBs basically clinched this award for Arians when they limped to the finish line. No team in the league showed more fight than Dallas. We came into the season with FAR fewer expectations than the Cards and got farther than they did. We dominated close games all season and it took a ridiculous call to help knock us out. Just wish Garrett and the staff had been rewarded for the impressive season we just had.

Another shaft to the Cowboys. First Bryant than Romo. Now Garrett's get shafted for not getting coach of the year. Arians is a good coach but really didn't do much to turn that club around. He had a good defense. So has Buffalo's coach. Garrett should have won it. If not, then the coach at Buffalo should be in 2nd place. Arian's should have been 3rd place.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
I'll give you one reason why I'm ok with Bruce Arians being coach of the year.

He lost his starting qb then his back up and that team never stopped playing man.. remember when Romo got hurt? The entire team just took a vacation and took the lawn chairs out. No fight no guts.

Bruce Arians is a stud man.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
To me, the thought of JG doing less is ridiculous. He did more in my view and became a true HC by overseeing the defense and ST's more then he ever did. He usually focused on the offense in the past and allowed his D coordinator pretty much do his own thing. That was NOT the case this past season. He was a true HC.

PLAYCALLING!!!

alicetooljam

Reaction score
Easy, BECAUSE Jerry won Executive of the Year, Murray won offensive player of the year, Romo was a finalist for MVP, and Martin was a finalist for offensive rookie of the year. They have to spread the wealth and we kept popping up in every other category.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
2) The Cowboys became more successful with Garrett doing less.

Which is the same reason Romo didn't win MVP the Cowboys are more successful when he does less.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
I'll give you one reason why I'm ok with Bruce Arians being coach of the year.

He lost his starting qb then his back up and that team never stopped playing man.. remember when Romo got hurt? The entire team just took a vacation and took the lawn chairs out. No fight no guts.

Bruce Arians is a stud man.

We lose 28-17 and that's us taking a vacation.

But the Cardinals lose to a bad Falcons team. But hey they never stopped playing!

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I've been sitting around reading these threads about woe is me, we didn't win this award we didn't win that award. SMH. We need to go win a Super Bowl, that's all I care about. It's going on 2 decades and I could care less about individual awards right now.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
I guess I needed more handwaving?

It was an attempt at irony.

I find the 'realists' who are rationalizing the outcome with the we succeeded because Garrett did less notions to be quite amusing.

PLAYCALLING!!

It's usually the same people who were anti-Garrett from the beginning.

Eddie

Reaction score
Why would Garrett be considered Coach of the Year? We're a 12-4 team who won ONE playoff game this year.