How Refs can influence a game

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
The Bucs won the SB outright, gotta give them credit overall. But, there is no denying that some of the penalties against the Chiefs in the first half should have been non-calls.

After years of watching referee penalty abuse across the league, I have to wonder if that does not affect the morale of a team during the game. In this SB the Chiefs had something like an 8-1 penalty disparity in the first half. They must have felt at halftime that the refs were against them.

In my opinion referees can and do affect the morale of a team to the point they feel the game is out of their hands. When bad-non calls put you way behind, it is very hard to come back from.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
The Bucs were the better team by a fairly large margin tonight.

They earned the Lombardi trophy.

Bizwah

Reaction score
I don't think it mattered this game. The Chiefs couldn't protect. There were not many penalties that would have resulted in the Chiefs getting first downs, or scores.

Tampa controlled the game. Sure there were two questionable calls the first half. But Tampa was better tonight.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
It certainly helped TB build its lead on offense. But penalties had nothing to do with the defensive domination. At the most extreme without penalties it’s probably still 21-17 for TB. KC lost an INT and gave up 7-10 points due to penalties but the second half was just a further demolition.

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
I don't think it mattered this game. The Chiefs couldn't protect. There were not many penalties that would have resulted in the Chiefs getting first downs, or scores.

Tampa controlled the game. Sure there were two questionable calls the first half. But Tampa was better tonight.
I agree the Bucs were better overall, but most of the penalties in the first half should have not been called is a supposed "let the players play" SB. My point is how that demoralizes a team, the refs can do that early in a game and the victim team of those calls loses confidence in the game.

Bizwah

Reaction score
I agree the Bucs were better overall, but most of the penalties in the first half should have not been called is a supposed "let the players play" SB. My point is how that demoralizes a team, the refs can do that early in a game and the victim team of those calls loses confidence in the game.
Confidence had nothing to do with the outcome, IMO .

If confidence was a factor, it had more to do with Mahomes being on the run most of the night. That had nothing to do with officiating.

I agree there are times when bad calls can really derail a team. But not tonight.

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
It certainly helped TB build its lead on offense. But penalties had nothing to do with the defensive domination. At the most extreme without penalties it’s probably still 21-17 for TB. KC lost an INT and gave up 7-10 points due to penalties but the second half was just a further demolition.
You're right, TB does have a great defense and TB deserved to win. I only wish Dallas could put that kind of D together.

Flamma

Reaction score
I'm usually the first person to whine like an old bat when it comes to penalties. But I really didn't see any calls that I thought were bad.

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
My thought is that if you are in a game and the refs are calling every ticky-tac call against you, but not the opposing team, does that not affect your mentality and morale for the remainder of the game? You have to tip-toe and make sure you do not get a bad call?

Flamma

Reaction score
My thought is that if you are in a game and the refs are calling every ticky-tac call against you, but not the opposing team, does that not affect your mentality and morale for the remainder of the game? You have to tip-toe and make sure you do not get a bad call?

The Chiefs could have helped themselves by making better decisions. But I think all big penalties hurts morale.

Take that interference call in the endzone that placed the ball at the 1 and led to a TD right before the half. There was 10 seconds left. The Chiefs defenders should have been all over those WRs. Hugging them. That would move the ball to the half yard line after the penalty, but how much time is left? Four, maybe 5 seconds? Bucs would then have to go for a FG or risk getting nothing. Old Raiders trick.

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
I was very disappointed in the NFL last night.

The NFC Championship game was excellent football, they let the two teams play, as usual in the playoffs, and it was a joy to watch and actually reaffirmed to me that the NFL maybe understood that not trying to manipulate everything can still lead to great outcomes.

Two weeks later, they roll out a crew that calls everything exceedingly tight through defensive holding and very questionable PIs on balls that really appeared to be uncatchable, extending drives and forcing KC corners to play softer with their coverages.

The contrast between the two games could not be more noticable.

I think Tampa wins anyway given how well their defense played but the League's handling of this game removed, once again, a little bit more of the enthusiasm i have for the NFL.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I'm usually the first person to whine like an old bat when it comes to penalties. But I really didn't see any calls that I thought were bad.

Both the PI calls against the KC defense were uncatchable. Especially the one against Mathieu in the end zone that landed 5 yards out of the end zone. Both extended drives and ended up with the Bucs scoring TDs instead of kicking FGs or punting.

Flamma

Reaction score
Both the PI calls against the KC defense were uncatchable. Especially the one against Mathieu in the end zone that landed 5 yards out of the end zone. Both extended drives and ended up with the Bucs scoring TDs instead of kicking FGs or punting.

Agreed on the one in the endzone. But how often do they not throw the flag because it was uncatchable? I rarely see them let it go. I'm not so sure about the deep ball. That would be way too close to say uncatchable.

There was one play where Mahomes was being chased backwards and he threw it away. Even in real time I could see that ball never reached the LOS. They didn't call anything.

Ghost12

Reaction score
The only bad call I saw was the unsportsmanlike penalty at the very end of the first half, which was completely irrelevant.

I saw the Chiefs o-line holding on just about every play though....