How short is Garrett's leash?

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t know. Another collapse like we had mid season last year might do it. Lots of blowouts might force Jerry’s hand.

It could happen. There was a point last year where I thought another. Losing would do it.

But a run like that was unusual in itself. And I don't think Jerry liked doing it that way when he did it to Wade. I think he'd try to get through the year if he possibly could.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Anyone who thinks or believes Garrett is on a short leash don’t fully understand Jerry’s agendas or have good insight on the pulse of the Cowboys. They’re just lashing out their frustration.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Once you come to terms being stuck with Jerry and the Jone$ it’s not that difficult embracing Jason.

It’s all part of the dysfunctional situation we have with this ownership. I actually see Garrett as the most upbeat hopeful aspect of the Arkansas Hillbillies.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I was watching film of Kris Richard interacting with the secondary and I couldn't help thinking that this is the type of personality that I want coaching my team. He is more Bill Cowher than Jason Garrett and that is a great thing. With that in mind, how bad does the Cowboy start have to be to replace Garrett with Richard by midseason? Would an 0-3 or 1-4 start do it? That would definitely make the rest of the season more fun and interesting to watch. And I am only assuming that Richard would be the next man up but I think that he was brought here for that reason. What say you?

Maybe I'm just old school, but I have a hard time with ANY POSTER thinking a 0-3 or 1-4 would be "FUN" to watch, regardless of who's coaching.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I was watching film of Kris Richard interacting with the secondary and I couldn't help thinking that this is the type of personality that I want coaching my team. He is more Bill Cowher than Jason Garrett and that is a great thing. With that in mind, how bad does the Cowboy start have to be to replace Garrett with Richard by midseason? Would an 0-3 or 1-4 start do it? That would definitely make the rest of the season more fun and interesting to watch. And I am only assuming that Richard would be the next man up but I think that he was brought here for that reason. What say you?
SMH here's another one.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
First off, and this blows the post, is that what you see it JG presser is bit the JG you see on the field coaching.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
I'm believe that Kris would make a good coach at some point but I would like to see him be a good DC for more than 1 team before he was hired as a HC for us. Hoping that his contribution as the secondary coach leads to great success this season which should put him in play to be our DC next season when Rod steps down.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
as long as the fans keep spending money and buying merchandize and attending games and taking tours of the star and the stadium and going to training camp and they are in the conversartion good or bad during the regular season jerry is not going to do any thing winning is not the main goal in dallas any more and hasn't been for awhile now

GMO415

Reaction score
I thought I saw JG buying Korean BBQ tacos off a food truck in LA.....that's how long his leash reached

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I dont think garrett gets fired regardless the outcome of the season.

Alot if work a HC does is behind closed curtains.

• How he handles the team in general.
  • Is he able to sense the mood the team is in and is he able to influence it in a positive way.
  • Can he handle certain players so they wont be a distraction.
  • Can he handle a defeat so the team doesnt lose confidence or motivation.
  • Can he handle the loss of certain players.
  • Can he handle the influence of the media.
  • Can he handle the demands surrounding the team: owner, other coaches, fans, even own players.
I think garrett always shows the backbone to handle thise things.

For example the season could have gone easily south after the 3 devastating losses last year. But somehow we managed to overcome those and found ways to get back into things. That is by what you meassure a HC just because this is a big part of his job.

But then we all dont know how and what kind of ways he used to turn the sinking ship around. Only people who are able to follow all the meetings with him are able to judge his soft skills. And they will judge them.

By now just when i follow garretts career he always showed backbone when there were hard times. From the beginning when he took over from Philip he proved this. He managed to give new life to a team that could have easiliy let the season go away.

I dont think garrett will lose his job even if we have a 4-12 season. If he isnt wont be able to find the problems and solve them after that kind of season then he would have a hard time to keep his job for another year like that. But if he is able to manage those i dont see him losing his job.

Are you kidding? The season went up in smoke specifically because of direct coaching blunders by Garrett. The team completely fell apart once adversity hit.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Barring major injuries if we lose more than 8 games he’s next on the chopping block....

Verdict

Reaction score
I don't think his leash is any shorter or any longer than it has been at any other time. Garrett is under some pressure to win, but he has always had that same pressure to win. The team isn't looking for a reason to get rid of Garrett now anymore than it has in prior years.

Could Garrett get fired soon. Not likely, but that's always a possibility. It always has been and always will be. That scenario is less tied to record than other issues surrounding the team.

I hate to break it to you Garrett haters, but at least as of my writing this at this moment, he is your Cowboys' head coach for the forseeable future, so you had beet find a way of trying to like him and support him. Whether you like it or not, that is probably your reality, barring something really unforeseen, which, granted, can happen.

lukin2006

Reaction score
He'll coach all 16 games this year. I'd like to think if the team misses the playoffs again then he'd be gone. But you never know, we are only year 8 of the process...we need more patience.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yeah...I just don't get people who actually WANT the Cowboys to fail!! Come on!! smdh o_O
It’s how desperate some fans have become in that they see a total collapse as the only means to bring about change. A kind of change that might actually lead to more success.

History under Jerry supports hitting rock bottom or collapse do bring change.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
lol at Richard being relegated to only DC. As if his resume isn’t better than Garrett’s was in 2007 by Miles :lmao:

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Are you kidding? The season went up in smoke specifically because of direct coaching blunders by Garrett. The team completely fell apart once adversity hit.

The way you argue are you able to name the blunders and show their specific negativ result please. Just make a list like blunder1 - result1 etc...

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The way you argue are you able to name the blunders and show their specific negativ result please. Just make a list like blunder1 - result1 etc...

Ill just start with the Atlanta game:

Blunder 1: Thinking that Chaz Green could simply step in for Tyrone Smith with no issues and Cooper next to him

Blunder 2: No scheme help for him with a TE or RB in case he would need it

Blunder 3: Once the first couple of sacks happened, waiting way too long to make an adjustment

These 3 blunders alone cost us the game by the time the first half was over.