How Special is Ezekiel?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
If Zeke was with the Giants with similar stats, this place would have no problem with the OP.

Actually you could remove all links and just write three paragraphs of nonsense like our resident Fuzzy Wuzzy and everyone would agree.

Homerism is pure cancer for discussions
I doubt it. I think most sensible fans wouldn't care if we had Elliott or Barkley.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I've never understood the hoopla over David Johnson. It's like someone proclaimed how great he was, and everyone bought into it. His lifetime YPC is 4.1. He hit 4.6 his rook year, and it's been downhill ever since. His YPC last year was 3.6. What makes you put him in this game changing category?
He's the greatest RB on the Cardinals currently ;)

CapnCook

Reaction score
Zeke does mean more to this team than his stats show.

One thing you can not find a stat for is defenses having to be aware and account for him. Im not talking about stacked boxes. Im talking about his presence. You'll also have a hard time stating out the toll our oline combined with Zeke's physicality takes on a defense. The combination of the two can cripple an opponents will.

That said I think this is a great post @Toruk_Makto and I appreciate you taking the time.

I personally hope we can re-sign him too a manageable deal, maybe something that will allow us to flip him in the next 2 or 3 years when we have an heir.

I dont know his shelf life, but I do know he hasn't been busting the long runs he did his rookie season and I cant help but think his physical style may have robbed him some of his long speed.
@Toruk_Makto Everything this guy said.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
not my Hero hes the best payer on the team and this is sports team and your job is to be the best at your craft, Zeke has been there since day one, let me know when Daks on field play catches up to his leadership skills :lmao:.. lol

Id take broken Romo anyday over Dak, but again I like dak and support him as hes on our Team and wears the star.. you cant see past the false story by Zekes ex and his immture small incidents and the fact that he has real reasons to be holding out..Romo owns all the DC QB ALL TIME records..he was disrespected as much as Zeke but made Troys stats look like Daks..Dak was not an upgrade he walked into the role because Romo couldn't stay upright but arm talent, Dak isnt in the same zip code..I know what I see and trying to make Dak something hes not isnt fair to Dak, again I support Dak and wish him all the success in the world , yes here as DC because hes DC..

Im over this thread, must go be productive not argue with a Hater who doesnt support the TEAM , just in a Bromance with Dak..:clap::flagwave::thumbup:

Its matters not that troll like you doenst get it about Dak. He will be our QB for the next 10 years. You can enjoy that.

If Zeke gets signed, then great, he is a great RB. Personally, I could care less about a drunken fool like t
The point was that you tend to search for things that support your Dak love and then ignore things (or try to diminish) those things that don't support your theories.

The PFF angle was just another example of what you do. You are quick to use PFF stats when they support one of your Dak points but then quickly ignore the fact that PFF also wrote that the Cowboys should probably cut bait with Dak instead of giving him a big long term contract.

That was the point, which you clearly missed.

Im simply not interested in a troll point of view like yours. I know exactly what type of QB Dak is and he is young and needs things to work on.

But what I will ignore, is you. So poof, you just disappeared.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with stats showing ineffectiveness in a certain situation.

If you can marry those stats with a poll of DC's in the NFL on what their #1 focus was in stopping the Cowboys on a given week....

Then after that, please tell me who in this thread that supports the OP's position has NOT said that Linehan and Garrett are predictable and terrible play callers.

Sydla

Reaction score
Im simply not interested in a troll point of view like yours. I know exactly what type of QB Dak is and he is young and needs things to work on.

But what I will ignore, is you. So poof, you just disappeared.

LOL.

Putting people on ignore because you can't debate and discuss topics like an grown man.

Also putting me on ignore won't stop people from reading your post and seeing you are acting like a baby.

Sydla

Reaction score
It's hard to have this discussion without the context of what is he actually worth.

If we played in an uncapped league, Jerry could pay Elliott $25MM a year and I wouldn't care. Conversely, in a capped league, If Elliott wanted to play for $8MM a year, I wouldn't have a problem with keeping him.

Where all this goes sideways for me is that while being a really good TB, is he actually worth the contract he wants when you look around and compare production to the rest of the league?

I think people far too often enter this debate thinking people are trying to say Elliott stinks or isn't good or whatever (Granted, some do say that but those people are a small minority). Most of those being "critical" of Elliott are largely doing it from the context of what is a TB really worth to a team in a capped league?

ghst187

Reaction score
Hmmmm...I wonder if he happened to watch the NO game (3.3 ypc) or Ten (3.6 ypc) or Wash (2.2 ypc) or Houston (2.7 ypc).

Those are pretty pathetic numbers for being “elite”. Let’s not forget about his stellar performance against the Broncos in 2017 with a total of 8 yards. Or against Seattle last year where he stepped out of bounds with no one within 10 yards of him on what would have most likely been a TD or the fumble in that same game that very well cost us the W.

Bc no HOFer ever had a bad game or two....
I’m not sure some of Zekes clunkers weren’t due to the extreme lack of creativity and overly predictable coaching staff...

aikemirv

Reaction score
It's hard to have this discussion without the context of what is he actually worth.

If we played in an uncapped league, Jerry could pay Elliott $25MM a year and I wouldn't care. Conversely, in a capped league, If Elliott wanted to play for $8MM a year, I wouldn't have a problem with keeping him.

Where all this goes sideways for me is that while being a really good TB, is he actually worth the contract he wants when you look around and compare production to the rest of the league?

I think people far too often enter this debate thinking people are trying to say Elliott stinks or isn't good or whatever (Granted, some do say that but those people are a small minority). Most of those being "critical" of Elliott are largely doing it from the context of what is a TB really worth to a team in a capped league?

I think the value of Elliot is greater to the Cowboys because of the limitations of Dak. So as long as we can sign Dak at his value to the Cowboys, then Elliott in the top 3 RB values will be acceptable. If you shift the defensive focus against the Cowboys away from the running game, Dak is gonna be up a creek in my humble opinion. So as long as we are keeping Dak, we better have a special RB.

aikemirv

Reaction score
I doubt it. I think most sensible fans wouldn't care if we had Elliott or Barkley.

Hey , I would rather have Barkley - he does not have the baggage- but not necessarily from a skill standpoint- but Zeke is a Cowboy not Saquon.

jay94

Reaction score
:omg:

Numbers also make average players look good when surrounded by talent, it works both ways..

When u watch Zeke play you realize the guy is a beast not to mention he was a Top 5 Pick..

Numbers only tell part of the story so unless you really know the game, you might rank certain players higher or lower but it’s a team sport. There’s way too many variables that can effect those numbers...

Jerry is going to pay because he’s old school. He likes ball control offenses, that’s why he invested so heavily in the o-line. Zeke is his cherry on top...

Sounds alot like homer bias to me. Zeke is elite, but I don't see generational talent when watching him play.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think the value of Elliot is greater to the Cowboys because of the limitations of Dak. So as long as we can sign Dak at his value to the Cowboys, then Elliott in the top 3 RB values will be acceptable. If you shift the defensive focus against the Cowboys away from the running game, Dak is gonna be up a creek in my humble opinion. So as long as we are keeping Dak, we better have a special RB.

But then in what world does it make sense to pay Elliott an elite contract and the QB an elite contract?

aikemirv

Reaction score
But then in what world does it make sense to pay Elliott an elite contract and the QB an elite contract?

It does not. That is why I said pay Dak at his value - which is not 30 million. If we pay them both we mortgage the future. I honestly don't think there is any QB that can bring 30 million of value to his team under the current cap. I have said a few times that I would pull Zekes contract offer if he does not show and let him sit out the year and make Dak prove it. Long term probably the best Cowboy scenario.

GMO415

Reaction score
Let me know when the release the Reader's digest version.

NFL.com gave him an A+ on his 2016 draft grade.

aria

Reaction score
Bc no HOFer ever had a bad game or two....
I’m not sure some of Zekes clunkers weren’t due to the extreme lack of creativity and overly predictable coaching staff...
There we go, as I said about all the Zeke fan boys...never his fault. Also, that wasn’t 2 “a bad game or two”, that was 4 games which is 1/4th of the season and that was behind an above average O line. I’d hate to see how bad his numbers would have been behind AZ, NYJ, NYJ, TB, Buffalo, etc.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Hey , I would rather have Barkley - he does not have the baggage- but not necessarily from a skill standpoint- but Zeke is a Cowboy not Saquon.
I'm a little more homeriffic and I think Elliott is more complete. And I think he's done more (by no fault to Barkley) but this debate is silly because any staff would love to have either.
And I agree, Elliott's off the field stuff is dumb.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Let me know when the release the Reader's digest version.

Zeke is quite average, he can't break long runs and some people have a pathological need to appear intelligent.

There, I saved you from reading a 15 page thread.

Reactions: BAT

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Zeke isn’t as good as Emmitt or Barry or many of the greats. He’s not as good as Saquan, clearly.
His best move is the hurdle in open field. When one on one in the open field, Zeke either hurdles or seeks out contact in hopes of breaking a tackle....he doesn’t have moves...period.

However, he is more than a great pass protector and short yardage back. He has enough speed to go the distance if it’s open. He has great vision for our blocking scheme, and he’s a great power runner in a league that doesn’t have power backs.

Would I make him the highest paid RB? Nope
Do I think another team would make him the highest paid RB? Nope

He needs to sign the contract and get to work....low double digit millions is a very good contract. He can’t sit out for two years without pay and expect to get more from anyone.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Would I make him the highest paid RB? Nope
Do I think another team would make him the highest paid RB? Nope

Agree with all that (mostly, his move is to be big and fast with good vision) but if Dallas was willing to make him the highest paid RB the contract would have been signed a long time ago.

IMO the dust will settle with a top five RB getting top five money and it will be about what reasonable fans expect.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Ezekiel is special enough that he can hold out in Cabo, yet, not even be fined!

Jerry's, literally, little more than a wimp for putting up with that!

Act like a legitimate GM for once, please, sir! o_O

Last edited: