How Stephen's delaying tactic CeeDee contract cost Cowboys

CWR

Reaction score
Nobody's giving the FO an 'Out', just explaining that the contractual issues aren't as binary as ALL being Jones' fault.....though there is a serious case to make that players/agents (especially the elite) can manipulate the situation,knowing that we have Jerry (who'll pay his own) and Stephen (who'll baulk at the figure).
The situation's exacerbated as we never trade and follow the same ole format.
I'm aware it takes both parties to bargain in good faith. I also think he makes a good point about top end wrs and contracts.

Where we differ is I don't believe we've made an earnest effort in moving this along. It's always been in their playbook to use the Cowboys pr machine to sway public opinion and put pressure on players/agents. We've seen NONE of that to this point.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
This holds true for every top end contract.
Salary cup goes one direction 99% of the time.
In that world the best time to buy is always 1 day ago and then after that, now.
Tomorrow is always the worst-case scenario.

The only way tomorrow is better is if the player's value drops. Which is rather lose-lose at best.

It feels very much like Stephen has decided they are at an inflection point. Burn it all down and go cheap and young or win it all with whats already in place.
And perhaps even both.
If they do win it all everyone's price goes up.
I could legitimately see them win it all but STILL burn it down.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
no its not. initial contract negotiations the year before was for 4, 5 years and Dak was asking for 28, stephen wanted to pay around 25-26....and he didn't sign him. then franchised him and paid it all back and then he cornered himself with not having an option and where the team was to sign him to a 4 year contract. Dak could have just decided not to resign at all. its the market. and that year, right before Dak, Watson signed for 40M. your opinion of what he is worth is totally irrelevant to QB market and contract values.
This is ridiculous. Dak turned down 32/5 before he turned down the 35/5 I mentioned above. Dak had a handshake agreement in place and changed his mind.

Dak, knowing the market would only go higher, chose to play on the tag and then played hardball for a shorter deal rather than the standard 5 year deal.

Your revision of the factual history is by the the strangest I've seen yet.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
This is ridiculous. Dak turned down 32/5 before he turned down the 35/5 I mentioned above. Dak had a handshake agreement in place and changed his mind.

Dak, knowing the market would only go higher, chose to play on the tag and then played hardball for a shorter deal rather than the standard 5 year deal.

Your revision of the factual history is by the the strangest I've seen yet.
What hand shake agreement? Jerry had made handshake agreements before and backed out and spun.

Now you are fabricating stories.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
What hand shake agreement? Jerry had made handshake agreements before and backed out and spun.

Now you are fabricating stories.
Nope. Reported and discussed many many times.

Interesting how you only focus on the least important detail of my response and ignore the meat and potatoes which refute your revised account of history.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Nope. Reported and discussed many many times.

Interesting how you only focus on the least important detail of my response and ignore the meat and potatoes which refute your revised account of history.
Where was this handshake reported?

Then Dak had agreed and wanted a deal for 26M a year. Stephen wouldn't go past his 24M deal. And he didn't give a contract. It was reported and discussed many many times. Stephen screwed up

BTW, Dak didn't choose to play on the tag. When Stephen wouldn't budge. And he left himself no other option, they tagged him. Dak didn't rag himself. Based on the NFL CBA he had no choice but to play under the tag.

And you complain about Dak playing hardball...and never mention Stephen playing hardball.

It's called negotiations. There are no obligations unless it's signed.

Bagman

Reaction score
While CeeDee goes over the middle Jerry sips Johnnie Walker Blue. CeeDee is a top NFL receiver. His bad fortune is to play for the Dallas Cowboys whose senile owner doesn’t want to pay him like one. Yes, it’s much easier to bash the inebriated guy who doesn’t do anything for the team’s ultimate success.
Your reply still doesn't help the argument. Both sides have to agree. Maybe the FO wanted to wait, maybe Lamb's agent wanted to wait.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Where was this handshake reported?

Then Dak had agreed and wanted a deal for 26M a year. Stephen wouldn't go past his 24M deal. And he didn't give a contract. It was reported and discussed many many times. Stephen screwed up

BTW, Dak didn't choose to play on the tag. When Stephen wouldn't budge. And he left himself no other option, they tagged him. Dak didn't rag himself. Based on the NFL CBA he had no choice but to play under the tag.

And you complain about Dak playing hardball...and never mention Stephen playing hardball.

It's called negotiations. There are no obligations unless it's signed.
Here.

Absolutely ridiculous. Dak turned down 32. He never "agreed" to 26. That's just crazy.

The rest of your response is just arguing semantics. Dak did choose to play on the tag rather than accept the offer that was made. The Cowboys chose to tag him rather than meet his demands. I didn't "complain" about anything. I simply straightened you out on the facts.

Clearly you are upset so I'll back away slowly. Calm down friend. There's no reason to get so emotional. It's going to be ok.