How to use Micah to avoid him tiring out?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Go back and watch the tape from last year. In the 4th quarter, the Cowboys had double digit leads and were comfortably ahead against all those weaker teams we played. Yet there was Micah on the field trying to rack up more sacks and stats. Most times he was in there until the 2 minute warning. Meanwhile, the backups who really needed the snaps sat on the bench. Yet another example of how McCarthy failed the team last year.

We don't need all these questions that have obvious answers.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Well, we e already heard from his own mouth and others that he doesn’t like to study, doesn’t like to practice, and feels he is so special that no one can tell him anything because he’s saving his body for the real thing.

How can you use a guy like that in various ways? Quinn couldn’t play him at LB even when we had no LBs and teams were running it down our throats.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
He's our top pass rusher, best defender if you want to say that. We've seen in the last few years how he's been burned out, with that said, how can avoid burnout to make him the best he's ever been. I saw him say in a quote, he's hasn't even reached his prime yet. We shall see when that happens. Please give your thoughts on this
DLaw says the whole team is tired.

Chasing6

Reaction score
We can't do it because our guys don't always get to the QB on the blitz
If Micah is being double and triple teamed they would have a very difficult time picking up the blitz or would not be able to double him.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Exactly! He should be played as LB so they can't tell what he's going to do. He has good speed, he could be used against the run, or coverage from side to side. The guy is multi talented, use it!
No. We are too smart. We want him to be predictable. Line up in the same spot and only rush the passer on every play.

He is a generational pass rusher we are told.

Chasing6

Reaction score
It’s the coaches that want him to stay there, he’s our best pass rusher. He certainly is going to be telling the coaches where he’s going to play. Zimmer may use him differently and he may not be totally happy with it.
He is a good pass rusher from any spot on the field. No need to make it easy on the offense.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
As much as I hate what this team hasn't done in the off-season, the best thing we have done is hire Zimmer. He will get the best out of our D, which means playing them at positions they kind of should be playing. There will be accountability which DQ never seemed to have
How can hiring a guy who failed here 20 years ago help now?

Chasing6

Reaction score
Well, we e already heard from his own mouth and others that he doesn’t like to study, doesn’t like to practice, and feels he is so special that no one can tell him anything because he’s saving his body for the real thing.

How can you use a guy like that in various ways? Quinn couldn’t play him at LB even when we had no LBs and teams were running it down our throats.
I can think of 1. Trade his arse.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Micah averaged 51 snaps per game last year. Approximately 50 LB's played more snaps than he did.

As a DE only about 15 played similar or more snaps.

Max Crosby 64
Daniel Hunter 59
Aidon Hutchinson 58
Kayvan Thinodeaux 58
Byron Young 57
DJ Wonnum 55
Zach Allen 54
Josh Allen 52
Carl Granderson 52

I am not sure it is the snap count that is the problem. It is the double and triple teams that is wearing him down.
could it be he has put on too much weight? He has lost the speed and burst he had as a rookie.
If other players dont wear out before season is over , maybe he just needs to work out more to build up stamina and lose some weight.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He is a good pass rusher from any spot on the field. No need to make it easy on the offense.
His best chance to get to the QB is off the edge, which is why he plays there most of the time. We’ll see how Zimmer uses him.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Go back and watch the tape from last year. In the 4th quarter, the Cowboys had double digit leads and were comfortably ahead against all those weaker teams we played. Yet there was Micah on the field trying to rack up more sacks and stats. Most times he was in there until the 2 minute warning. Meanwhile, the backups who really needed the snaps sat on the bench. Yet another example of how McCarthy failed the team last year.

We don't need all these questions that have obvious answers.
mike left many starters in too long in those games. They run up their stats as well as team stats, but I would want to put other players in to
get some work, like rush at qb etc.

Chasing6

Reaction score
His best chance to get to the QB is off the edge, which is why he plays there most of the time. We’ll see how Zimmer uses him.
He is effective from anywhere. Much easier to double him when they know where is coming from.

Blitzing as a LB they have no idea where he is going. Even if he is in coverage they still have to account for him rushing the passer at all times.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Trade this contract hungry player before he gets paid big money and gets hurt.
He's in his prime at the top of his game get a boatload of draft picks for this guy who routinely stays in games that are blowouts to enhance his stats and disappears in the playoffs.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Very good question (for a change ;) ) which I don't have the answer to. But this will be absolutely essential for post season success. I really hope Zim knows what he's doing there.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
For one thing, when they constantly use him as always pass rushing it's too easy for teams to game plan for him. He should be used for other purposes as well. Then it becomes easier to mask what you're doing. With his speed he should be good for more than just pass rush.
I get the impression, that pass-rushing's his choice. He wants the stats and adulation, doesnt want to be covering.

shabazz

Reaction score
He's our top pass rusher, best defender if you want to say that. We've seen in the last few years how he's been burned out, with that said, how can avoid burnout to make him the best he's ever been. I saw him say in a quote, he's hasn't even reached his prime yet. We shall see when that happens. Please give your thoughts on this
Load Management......start his season in December