CFZ How wide of a gap is there between the Cowboys from the 49ers/Eagles

Jipper

Reaction score
if pollard doesnt get injured last year i think the playoff game looks vastly different...that was a massive blow...

For the eagles, will depend on how the players they brought in to fill their lost players play...on paper they look better but maybe they win 7 times out of 10....49ers id say are 50/50 at this point.

blueblood70

Reaction score
So it sounds like we need a All Pro team at this point then?
UMM how about open some holes for better then 3 YPC, how about block better , how about run your routes cleaner, not have TWO mental gaffs by Dalton, have more then CEEDEE making plays. how about the D making those 2 plays by diggs.. all pro how about just average the OL/RUN game and coaching also were sub par LMAO how bout you be critical of them as well say if they did this or that we win.. just play better period.. 16 TOTAL run pays called at 3 YPC and not even try to use Malik. all major issues that made the team one dimensional and very easy to defend. 2 straight years the OL got dominated by the 9ers. that the gap.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Take away homer thoughts, both the 49ers/Eagles last yr were clearly better teams then the Cowboys:

-Both teams were absolutely loaded personnel wise. Eagles lost arguably their best defensive player in Hargrave, who signed with the 49ers. Lost their coordinators on both sides of the football and now will be counting on several young prospects to make an impact. Eagles are quite like the Cowboy team, but still have better players inside the trenches on both side of the football. Eagles might see a little step back due to a lot unproven talent.

-The 49ers, in my opinion are a different animal, health remains a concern, along with their QB position. Will teams figure out Purdy? The same can be said about Hurts. Usually, when given an off-season, defensive coordinators will find weaknesses to exploit. Will they find away to overcome the so called 2nd yr jinx? How do teams successfully attack the 49er defense?

-Cowboys definitely can play with both teams, but they will need to play more clean and take advantage of their opponents mistakes. Still believe their is a gap. but not as wide as previous seasons.

Actually the Cowboys are right there with the 49'ers and the Eagles, and really almost any other team in the NFL, all they need is a QB that is not mental.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
UMM how about open some holes for better then 3 YPC, how about block better , how about run your routes cleaner, not have TWO mental gaffs by Dalton, have more then CEEDEE making plays. how about the D making those 2 plays by diggs.. all pro how about just average the OL/RUN game and coaching also were sub par LMAO how bout you be critical of them as well say if they did this or that we win.. just play better period.. 16 TOTAL run pays called at 3 YPC and not even try to use Malik. all major issues that made the team one dimensional and very easy to defend. 2 straight years the OL got dominated by the 9ers. that the gap.
The SB winning team is about the team who can can handle adversity when it hits them. Who doesn't let a sack kill them or steps up when others aren't playing well. The Cowboys will have to face and handle adversity to win. You are kidding yourself if you think some of the above stuff won't happen. And its up to Dak to overcome it. Its just what it is. The days of guys like Rex Grossman getting to a SB are over.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Naw see this is what I use to do with Romo and i'm not going to do it with Dak. Those days are over. We cant' keep sitting here saying oh everyone needs to play better. Yes, theorectially everyone does need to play better but I have a certain standard for Dak. The standard he's shown. He showed the week prior what he can do. Different teams....I get it but that's what we need. Because its not going to be perfect. The running backs are going to suck at times. The receivers are going to drop passes. The offensive line is gonna give up sacks. Its going to happen. Its time for Dak to step up when those things break down. Because when Maher was sucking and missing all his field goals Dak was there to keep the game out of reach.

I don't care anymore why we lose or who deserves the most blame for it. We have to stop the excuses.
h I don't care what you are going to do or not do or what you think the days are over but I take every game and watch each game not call back 29 years not bring romo's name into it just what happened the last two game against the Niners was the offensive line getting their butts kicked period end of story there has been no run support whatsoever if you think what Pollard was doing before he got hurt at 3.8 yards per carry and then add in zeke's 2.8 yards per carry and then Pollard goes out and they do 2 yards per carry in the second-half and don't even use Malik Davis only call 16 runs and can't block either if you think that they blocked really well and that Prescott just stood back there clean you got another thing coming your eyes are broke and the year before 11 penalties on our line alone they are getting manhandled we are losing in the trenches that's why we got to hope to play better we don't need all pros,

we need the players we bring to play better..

so that way also Prescott can play better, he did not play well nobody's saying he did but there were plenty of reasons for it.

Now take your opinion and do whatever you want with it, mine is exactly what I'm saying happened, I'm not making it up, we have now lost three straight playoff games because of the line it's not physical enough, they don't bring a run game at all, and then they don't give a clean pocket,

It's kind of obvious that that could mess up an offense especially then you have your skill players like Dalton Schultz make two mental mistakes on OneDrive and then you have Michael Gallup being part of that first interception because he didn't run his route correct or he didn't make an effort to get back under the route he let the defender own him he didn't make the effort and then where was the other receivers there were none nobody else was making plays besides CD.

so, you have your opinion, I have mine,

I'm telling you right now about Prescott was not the only issue in that game, it's not like we were running for 4.5 yards per carry having some big chunk yards popping out having the line just block like animals you know like they did for Troy Aikman and Roger Staubach, you know Emmitt Smith was pretty much the heart of that team along with the line up in front of him and Daryl moose Johnston blocking like a beast and you had two great running backs that ran for Roger Staubach and two of the best coaches ever, making sure the correct plays were called.. I don't remember any game that had 16 run calls and forced troy or roger to be by themselves on an island and that's it,

they ALL weren't very good like I said go back to your opinion, I saw the game as well and I'm not making excuses Prescott did not play well but neither did the rest of the offense outside of maybe lamb and somebody threw him the ball, he seemed like he could catch the ball, and he could get open but nobody else was making any plays.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well 1 went to a SB and the other has beaten us twice in consecutive years in the playoffs. On paper there isn't a big gap but paper doesn't win games, history shows the gap is wider than how they look on paper.

Canada180

bannedontherun88
Reaction score
That is because most of pro football is biased and don't know what they are talking about.
You may be right. But you must admit that even a lot of Cowboy fans would say there is a gap. I hope there isnt anymore, but Im of the " Show me camp" Until then I believe there is a gap.
Stay cool

blueblood70

Reaction score
The SB winning team is about the team who can can handle adversity when it hits them. Who doesn't let a sack kill them or steps up when others aren't playing well. The Cowboys will have to face and handle adversity to win. You are kidding yourself if you think some of the above stuff won't happen. And its up to Dak to overcome it. Its just what it is. The days of guys like Rex Grossman getting to a SB are over.
OVER :muttley: :lmao: Nick Foles just won a Super Bowl and he's not even really a backup quarterback that's done anything since and we're seeing guys like garoppolo and golf get to a Super Bowl recently and by the way Prescott's better than Rex Grossman if you don't think so we have nothing else to talk about I'm sorry but I watched they reaired Super Bowl 28 I believe was the second game against the Buffalo Bills and I watched that first half you know what I saw I saw a team getting their butts kicked IE the Cowboys we were down 13-6 at the half Troy Aikman threw an interception they couldn't throw the ball he was dumped down Charlie and looked like a Jag most of thew game, in the second-half 5 minutes into the game the defense pick 6 and got us tied another second drive they ran the ball 75% of the time and Emmitt Smith pretty much owned that game in the second-half with that line and that blocking and Troy Aikman did more dumping the football down than anybody ever realizes... he did not always have to carry it team if at all you show me a playoff game where Emmitt Smith, the offensive line, and the other players on that team like Jay Novecheck and Michael Irvin and others and the play calling failed Troy and left him on an island and he had to play by himself...

it was the other way around I'd literally just rewatched that game and go man I've never seen a Hall of Fame quarterback do so little in a game I know we all love Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman but we also love Jimmy Johnson and his staff and Tom Landry and his staff that made sure the team was going to play well in the bigger games they were going to run the ball they were going to block well play good defense and typically not leave it on the quarterback shoulders...

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Eagles:
lost OC & DC
lost 8 starters, mostly on defense
lost 2 on offense, their RB & an OL, but he was more of a back up. Their best OL is a year older, and often injured. (so our own fans say this about Tyron, so say it about other teams as well)
They hope to replace an over rated defense with a college rookie or 2nd year players defense.
Hurts will be or has been figured out and this offense.
They signed some FA's and retained a few of their own, but not enough to make up for what they lost.
They have a solid HC, or seems to be.

SF:
lost OC & DC
lost around 9 FA's, starters and back ups
signed one of the best DT in Fa, but lost one the of best OL as well. They did. nothing in FA otherwise.
The QB situation in in total flux. And will Purdy be healthy as well avoid a sophomore slump. We do not know what Lance has.
They had a horrible draft, the worst according to many analyst.
They have a very good and solid HC.

Dallas
Retained DQ and his defense for year 3 now as DC. This is huge for the players and an advantage over new a DC. Even if they try to keep the same schemes.
Moore gone, some look as a plus, others as a negative, but with MM in charge it is more of a plus. As we should not get the stupid / cute ill timed plays that never work.
And another plus since only a 30% change in plays, but terminology kept the same.
We did not lose any mayor players in FA's, and were replaced with our own FA's, or the draft and other FA's.
Made 2 great trades and got playmakers in Cooks and Gilmore.
Had a very solid draft with players that will contribute right away. As well players from last years draft.
We have a very good HC, who can be better. back to back 12-5 seasons shows that. As they went further in the playoffs.

So yes, the gap has closed on paper.
But, yeah, need to play the games.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You may be right. But you must admit that even a lot of Cowboy fans would say there is a gap. I hope there isnt anymore, but Im of the " Show me camp" Until then I believe there is a gap.
Stay cool
Yes...show us...go out and prove it. I agree. As I said in my above post.
We closed the gap, as I gave my reasons. Some may agree, I know some will not.
And as I said at the end. On paper, yes, but play the games.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
h I don't care what you are going to do or not do or what you think the days are over but I take every game and watch each game not call back 29 years not bring romo's name into it just what happened the last two game against the Niners was the offensive line getting their butts kicked period end of story there has been no run support whatsoever if you think what Pollard was doing before he got hurt at 3.8 yards per carry and then add in zeke's 2.8 yards per carry and then Pollard goes out and they do 2 yards per carry in the second-half and don't even use Malik Davis only call 16 runs and can't block either if you think that they blocked really well and that Prescott just stood back there clean you got another thing coming your eyes are broke and the year before 11 penalties on our line alone they are getting manhandled we are losing in the trenches that's why we got to hope to play better we don't need all pros,

we need the players we bring to play better..

so that way also Prescott can play better, he did not play well nobody's saying he did but there were plenty of reasons for it.

Now take your opinion and do whatever you want with it, mine is exactly what I'm saying happened, I'm not making it up, we have now lost three straight playoff games because of the line it's not physical enough, they don't bring a run game at all, and then they don't give a clean pocket,

It's kind of obvious that that could mess up an offense especially then you have your skill players like Dalton Schultz make two mental mistakes on OneDrive and then you have Michael Gallup being part of that first interception because he didn't run his route correct or he didn't make an effort to get back under the route he let the defender own him he didn't make the effort and then where was the other receivers there were none nobody else was making plays besides CD.

so, you have your opinion, I have mine,

I'm telling you right now about Prescott was not the only issue in that game, it's not like we were running for 4.5 yards per carry having some big chunk yards popping out having the line just block like animals you know like they did for Troy Aikman and Roger Staubach, you know Emmitt Smith was pretty much the heart of that team along with the line up in front of him and Daryl moose Johnston blocking like a beast and you had two great running backs that ran for Roger Staubach and two of the best coaches ever, making sure the correct plays were called.. I don't remember any game that had 16 run calls and forced troy or roger to be by themselves on an island and that's it,

they ALL weren't very good like I said go back to your opinion, I saw the game as well and I'm not making excuses Prescott did not play well but neither did the rest of the offense outside of maybe lamb and somebody threw him the ball, he seemed like he could catch the ball, and he could get open but nobody else was making any plays.
Yep. You have your opinion and I have mine. And my opinion is that i'm tired of excuses. Sorry. Its been 27 years....Dak isn't some child that needs insistence. HE's a capable QB who can win a game if things don't go perfect. It will never go perfect and if that's what you're waiting for you're misinformed about the NFL. The Chiefs won a SB last year with Patrick Mahomes getting hurt and barely beating the Jags. They overcame it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
OVER :muttley: :lmao: Nick Foles just won a Super Bowl and he's not even really a backup quarterback that's done anything since and we're seeing guys like garoppolo and golf get to a Super Bowl recently and by the way Prescott's better than Rex Grossman if you don't think so we have nothing else to talk about I'm sorry but I watched they reaired Super Bowl 28 I believe was the second game against the Buffalo Bills and I watched that first half you know what I saw I saw a team getting their butts kicked IE the Cowboys we were down 13-6 at the half Troy Aikman threw an interception they couldn't throw the ball he was dumped down Charlie and looked like a Jag most of thew game, in the second-half 5 minutes into the game the defense pick 6 and got us tied another second drive they ran the ball 75% of the time and Emmitt Smith pretty much owned that game in the second-half with that line and that blocking and Troy Aikman did more dumping the football down than anybody ever realizes... he did not always have to carry it team if at all you show me a playoff game where Emmitt Smith, the offensive line, and the other players on that team like Jay Novecheck and Michael Irvin and others and the play calling failed Troy and left him on an island and he had to play by himself...

it was the other way around I'd literally just rewatched that game and go man I've never seen a Hall of Fame quarterback do so little in a game I know we all love Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman but we also love Jimmy Johnson and his staff and Tom Landry and his staff that made sure the team was going to play well in the bigger games they were going to run the ball they were going to block well play good defense and typically not leave it on the quarterback shoulders...
Its 2023 not 1972........

stuckindc

Reaction score
There isn't a gap. Dak plays slightly better, Pollard doesn't get hurt, or a few plays go our way (like Diggs catching that INT) and the Cowboys beat the 49ers. Unfortunately nothing ever goes our way in a divisional round game.
All are right on. Id add the missed opportunity when Parsons just missed Purdy on a rush that could have been a strip sack I mean he just missed his arm. Game of inches.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
We'll see how this upcoming season plays out. A lot can happen between now and the Super-Bowl.

There certainly has been a gap- but the Cowboys can still play with any team in the league, and potentially win any game on a given day. Injuries are a huge factor, when the line between winning and losing is so narrow, and the talent differences between teams so small.

If Dallas was playing SF, Chiefs, Eagles, or whoever at a neutral site- where would Vegas put the odds? That is the answer to the question.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
There’s not a gap IMO. Dak needs to play better against the 49ers. Simple as that. Cowboys showed last year they can play with the Eagles. They are of the same caliber.
They're the same caliber as the 49ers and Eagles...as long as the QB "plays better"?

That seems like something any team could say...

Almost like saying "the Chiefs aren't really any better than the Browns....we just need Mahomes to be less good"

JayFord

Reaction score
fact boils down to this and this is again no shade on Dak

if Dak takes those two interceptions and instead of throwing the ball to the other team he decided to throw the ball in the 3 row we go to the NFC title game

thats how slim the gap is....its hardly there....Eagles arent unbeatable...we probably sweep them if Dak played both games....heck we sweep them if Rush didnt throw multiple ints....

defense eventually started getting stops...but sometimes you get punched in the mouth....

the 49ers Right now going into the year i think we're better.....but i also thought we were better the past two playoff games