CFZ How wide of a gap is there between the Cowboys from the 49ers/Eagles

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Actually the Cowboys are right there with the 49'ers and the Eagles, and really almost any other team in the NFL, all they need is a QB that is not mental.
Another great post.....letting us know that we're as good as any team in the league (with the minor detail that we need a good QB, which is a very easy thing to get...not sure why more teams just dont go and get a good NFL QB good enoughto win a SB)

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
fact boils down to this and this is again no shade on Dak

if Dak takes those two interceptions and instead of throwing the ball to the other team he decided to throw the ball in the 3 row we go to the NFC title game

thats how slim the gap is....its hardly there....Eagles arent unbeatable...we probably sweep them if Dak played both games....heck we sweep them if Rush didnt throw multiple ints....

defense eventually started getting stops...but sometimes you get punched in the mouth....

the 49ers Right now going into the year i think we're better.....but i also thought we were better the past two playoff games
And we'll ignore the fact that Hirts didn't play both games either? What if THEY say they sweep US if Hurts plays both games?

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t see a gap yet but I don’t believe teams carry over performance year to year, only personnel. Dallas could blast Philly and SF but suffer losses to other teams like Detroit or Seattle or whoever.

The stronger the trenches are, the more predictable a team can be imo but it’s still a crap shoot. After I get a feel for the two lines up front, I’d probably then get in the prediction and speculation business.

Great topic tho.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think we need to stop all the talk about Dak interceptions and Pollard's injury, that there would be a different outcome. They couldn't run the football at all, even with Pollard getting the carries. This made the Cowboy offense one dimensional against the best defense in the league, which allowed them to play extra men in coverage. The reason why we lost, was more to becoming one dimensional and having lack of weapons in the passing game.

It's all about fixing the run game, which is why Moore and our OL Coach were let go, along with Zeke being released. They have to solve why they couldn't run the football down the stretch the last 2 seasons. Have to change the whole scheme and process.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
There isn't a gap. Dak plays slightly better, Pollard doesn't get hurt, or a few plays go our way (like Diggs catching that INT) and the Cowboys beat the 49ers. Unfortunately nothing ever goes our way in a divisional round game.
If we get to remove those 2 or 3 mistakes we made, or plays we didn't make...in those crucial games....does the other team also get to remove 2 or 3 mistakes and add 2 or 3 missed plays or remove 2 or 3 injuries? Or do only we get to do that?

Your acting like the 9ers were perfectly healthy....and didn't have a handful of plays THEY would like to have over again.

If you play the woulda-coulda-shoulda game equally on both sides...the gap is still there...just like it was on the scoreboard. I hate the 9ers as much as you... but they beat us....because they were the better team.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

How wide of a gap is there between the Cowboys from the 49ers/Eagles​

tenor.gif

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They're the same caliber as the 49ers and Eagles...as long as the QB "plays better"?

That seems like something any team could say...

Almost like saying "the Chiefs aren't really any better than the Browns....we just need Mahomes to be less good"
No I said that about the 49ers. Cowboys can play with the Eagles....they let Cooper Rush play with them after throwing 3 interceptions and Dak tore their team up last go around. They can play with them. The 49ers didn't destroy them. The game was in reach.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If we get to remove those 2 or 3 mistakes we made, or plays we didn't make...in those crucial games....does the other team also get to remove 2 or 3 mistakes and add 2 or 3 missed plays or remove 2 or 3 injuries? Or do only we get to do that?

Your acting like the 9ers were perfectly healthy....and didn't have a handful of plays THEY would like to have over again.

If you play the woulda-coulda-shoulda game equally on both sides...the gap is still there...just like it was on the scoreboard. I hate the 9ers as much as you... but they beat us....because they were the better team.
Stop saying "we". "We" already know you're a Eagles fan chill.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
To all of the folks here saying there isnt a gap.....most of pro football disagrees with you
YeaH but the pro football world doesn't realize that all we need is a SB caliber QB...and a magic wand that keeps us from having any injuries, dropping any balls, or throwing any picks, or ever getting a flag thrown against us again (while at the same time allowing all those bad things to continue happening to the other teams) and we're as good as anyone! We're essentially the same as the Chiefs. Better even.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Correct. The 49'ers were the better team, playing at home. I expected Dallas to lose, and the oddsmakers did too.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Yep. You have your opinion and I have mine. And my opinion is that i'm tired of excuses. Sorry. Its been 27 years....Dak isn't some child that needs insistence. HE's a capable QB who can win a game if things don't go perfect. It will never go perfect and if that's what you're waiting for you're misinformed about the NFL. The Chiefs won a SB last year with Patrick Mahomes getting hurt and barely beating the Jags. They overcame it.

Damn, I'm proud of you for even trying to read that word salad!

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
I don't think you can define any sort of gaps in the summer. There are just TOO many unknowns.

Dallas is the least unknown...because we kinda know what to expect from the QB.

49ers are the biggest question mark: last 10 or 15 years they kinda have a history from going from very good...to very bad...quickly. up and down and up and down. Would it shock anyone, if Purdy....a complete unknown this time last year, coming off a major injury....turns out to be a 1 year wonder?

Phly less of a question.....because their offense is basically the same...and Hurts has twice the experience or more than Purdy. Still....would it SHOCK anyone if Philly kinda just had a good but not great year....like divisional round loss kind of a year? Probably not.

At this time of year...u just have to hope ur team is in the top group of teams that at least is expected to make the postseason...with as good a shot as anyone (relatively speaking) to make major noise. Philly, sanFran, Dallas all fall into that group.

That's really all anyone can hang their hat on at this point in June.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
SF wins with a dominant defense and an offensive scheme that is not aggressive enough to shoot itself in the foot.

Philly has the superior OL, a mobile QB, superior TE, very good receivers, one of which is a physical beast.

If our defense is as good as fans think it may be and stays healthy, allowing Mike to take a more conservative approach, then I think we can beat either team on any given day, including the playoffs.

If our defense doesn’t live up to expectations, then we are most likely #3 of these 3 teams.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We don’t know yet what the gap will be this season.

But based on the draft, off season moves and the gap from last year I’d say the biggest question for 49ers is at QB.

And for Egirls their defensive draft was possibly phenomenal but they also lost some pieces from last year . Can Hurts continue the impact he had. I see more of a gap from them than SF.

For us , what impact is our new offense and play caller have? Will our OL stay healthy ? Will we have a consistent running game . Our defense should be stronger which could make the greatest impact . If we can maintain a top 5 defense to add to a top 10 offense we could close the gap.

I’m also looking around the NFC for others who may have closed the gap on us . Like NY and Det. I feel someone in the West might be improved like in Seattle, maybe LA has another run in them.

The NFC is overall down with no Elite QB’s basically pretty wide open. When I see Phil as top team which I’m not sure would be higher than 4 or 5 in AFC, it’s for the taking in NFC.

lukemartin79

Reaction score
Take away homer thoughts, both the 49ers/Eagles last yr were clearly better teams then the Cowboys:

-Both teams were absolutely loaded personnel wise. Eagles lost arguably their best defensive player in Hargrave, who signed with the 49ers. Lost their coordinators on both sides of the football and now will be counting on several young prospects to make an impact. Eagles are quite like the Cowboy team, but still have better players inside the trenches on both side of the football. Eagles might see a little step back due to a lot unproven talent.

-The 49ers, in my opinion are a different animal, health remains a concern, along with their QB position. Will teams figure out Purdy? The same can be said about Hurts. Usually, when given an off-season, defensive coordinators will find weaknesses to exploit. Will they find away to overcome the so called 2nd yr jinx? How do teams successfully attack the 49er defense?

-Cowboys definitely can play with both teams, but they will need to play more clean and take advantage of their opponents mistakes. Still believe their is a gap. but not as wide as previous seasons.
Niners lost their Defensive Coordinator too. This year will be different for Purdy, will he get figured out or have the dreaded sophomore slump, etc. Last year he wasn't the man, had no expectations coming in. This year he will be the man, high expectations and defenses will game plan for him the whole year. We shall see.