How would you feel about Dallas passing on the wide receiver position entirely in the draft?

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I am not going out on a limb saying this, but our receiving crew will show improvement this year. Dez was more of an impediment than a cancer. His production did not equal his bravado.
The team will now draft a rookie that can possibly be a number one, but if not, we have veterans that can fulfill that role for now. The key is to spread the ball around. The defense can no longer key on any particular player due to less focus on one player, and better game planning.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
How would you feel about Dallas passing on the wide receiver position entirely in the draft. I don't think they will, buyback a I also think we are in good enough shape that we don't need to be compelled to draft a receiver at all.

My first mock I didn't draft one but when Dez was cut I added one in the second.

They will draft a WR. Hopefully not in round 1 because I honestly don’t think this WR talent pool has any receiver that is a “can’t miss” so called “#1 receiver”.

To clarify, I think Ridley and Sutton are both going to be a solid NFL receivers. All Pro? No, don’t think so. Then with the second round type guys- DJ Moore, Michael Gallup, Anthony Miller, J. Washington, etc...they are all better guys for day 2 and although probably not true #1 types (which is overrated anyway), they have much better value in the draft.

I’m hoping the Cowboys select a player in round one that truly has first round value. And there are several that can bring immediate impact, especially on defense.

We can get a good WR on days 2 and 3. Please Jerry...no first round WR.

The last couple of drafts the R2s were better than R1s. Ridley will be a good WR but many teams moved him down there board because he's so small. Moore is a legit R1.

I don't want to use our R1 pick on a WR because R2 will support 2-4 very good WRs who can play outside and be a #1 for a team. I think we can move up into late R2 and get St Brown. Tate, Miller, Clark, Cobbs, and Washington can be taken in R2-3 and do the job we need. St. Brown, Cobbs, and Tate are all big and fast esp St Brown.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
They are gonna draft at least 1......I’d be fine if they drafted 0

I think they'll go for a OL and WR in the top 2 rounds.
I know we need defense as well, but to me, the OL this year is a must. As for the WR, I just think they'll try to replace Dezzz maybe in the 2nd round. A late round WR wouldn't be worth the effort. I could see a possible late round TE though.

Last edited:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
How would you feel about Dallas passing on the wide receiver position entirely in the draft. I don't think they will, buyback a I also think we are in good enough shape that we don't need to be compelled to draft a receiver at all.

I'll be disappointed if we don't upgrade Williams. I don't think that THompson is supposed to be that guy. A first or second round pick could be.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I think the receivers we already have, have a good chance of being better this year, especially if the stupid coaches, improve their passing game plans(not so predictable with their pass patterns).

I have no expectation that Williams will be better. He is what he is. Which is really not enough if we don't have the delusion that we have a true #1 opposite him.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

I wouldn't be ticked off at all especially if they used the picks on LB'er, O-line and D-line. Even a RB later in the draft who can catch the ball and make things happen with the ball in his hands. NE does it with average WR's and RB's who play that role. I don't think we'll ignore the WR position entirely though, just sayin

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
I'm fine with not drafting a WR. If given the same # of targets Dez received last year, I'm convinced that Hurns will have better production. Not that we should target him that much. We should spread the ball around more and get Zeke involved in the passing game more out of the backfield. I also would be fine with not drafting a TE. Our biggest needs are LB, OG, DT and safety. We actually need more than one LB.

John813

Reaction score
If Hurns didn't have injury issues, I would be fine skipping on the spot.

Hurns goes down, we are talking about Thompson/Brown starting.

Rather see one taken day 2/3.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

I am not worried about Dak at all. But I think without a true deep threat this running game will be running into 8-9 man fronts all day. Why limit the offense like that?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

If the options are first round WR or no WR, sign me up for no WR. But I suspect, and hope, they'll draft one at some point.

I'm just not seeing one worth a top 20 pick - that would feel like a reach to me.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd be fine with not drafting a receiver, especially because it means that they didn't draft one at pick #19.

aikemirv

Reaction score

I would be fine. Dak is going to have to prove it with or without a draft choice, even if it is a 1st rounder because it usually takes time to develop for a WR. I am more inclined to help the defense!

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
I actually want to draft a WR, but not in the first round. I'm fine with it in the 2nd round or later, depending on who is on the board. I'd rather grab a LB, DT, or OL in the first and 2nd rounds, but again, if a WR we really like is on the board at 50, take him.

blueblood70

Reaction score
they wont im guessing they take one in the second or third but if all the big names are gone, ridley, Chrk, miller, dj moore, Sutton and kirk...

im betting St Brown is there in the 4th , they for sure will take him in the 4th.

TexasBacon

Reaction score
I want them to go LB in 1st, trade 2nd for ET, OG or OT or WR in 3rd and 4th (including the comp picks) and then best available in last 3 rounds. Definitely no WR in 1st or 2nd (and really even 3rd depending on an potential ET trade) round, the needs elsewhere are too great. I don't think we should sleep on Noah Brown either, he could be a good X. If we can't get the ET trade then go OL in 2nd. See what you have at WR with Hurns, Brown, etc. and if they don't pan out then go WR in the 1st next year.

kskboys

Reaction score
Since this draft is deep at WR, I think we'd be stupid to not get a good route runner in rounds 2 or 3.

And I'm a DL guy who is usually opposed to taking WR's early!!!