How would you feel about Dallas passing on the wide receiver position entirely in the draft?

erod

Reaction score
Since 2000.....

73 receivers drafted in the first round. Only 6 had 1,000 yard rookie seasons. Only 21 had a 1,000 yard season in their entire career.

Terribly high bust rate.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I'm fine with not drafting a WR. If given the same # of targets Dez received last year, I'm convinced that Hurns will have better production.

The starting WRs were a problem for the run game. They didn't pose enough threat to keep the defense from crowding the box or crowding them. We need more than better production from the WRs, we need enough of a threat to back off press man single coverage on the wideouts.

We need to upgrade on Williams as a starter. He's a guy that teams can single without a care in the world.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I could live with that if it meant adding another 2nd rd pick.

We probably have to package the proceeds of that pick with another to get into the second, but we've got a lot of picks to do it with this year.

With the number picks we have, and the roster we have, moving up makes sense to me.

Also, a good year to trade a pick or two into 2019. Easy money.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Perfectly fine with it.

WRs really aren’t of much use to this current group of Cowboys. Spend resources on positions that you will actually use.
I actually disagree and not for the reason you might be expecting:
This team loads up on WR's that they expect to impact Dak's game and it doesn't- they will have some good, young WR's with at least a year under their belts for a replacement QB to feel more comfortable with.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I would say you are banking heavely on Dak turning into Rodgers this off-season, or banking on this defense being a legit top 3 unit without the ball control aspect.

You think a rookie WR is the difference between a good season and a bad one?

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
IMO, If you want to improve this team the most for next year and the year after, you come out of the first three rounds with an impact rookie defensive player, ET, and a starting LG. Going by history, few rookie WR's would initially help us as much as those three.

glimmerman

Reaction score
1st - LB
2nd - DT
3rd - WR
4th - OG
After that BPA at safety
After that repeat.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn't be surprised if they don't draft a WR early (1st round, or maybe 1st 2 rounds), but I expect they will at some point.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if they don't draft a WR early (1st round, or maybe 1st 2 rounds), but I expect they will at some point.
Hoping for stud LB in first. But I do think they are depending on a WR from draft to come straight in. Mistake IMO.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
How would you feel about Dallas passing on the wide receiver position entirely in the draft. I don't think they will, buyback a I also think we are in good enough shape that we don't need to be compelled to draft a receiver at all.
That would be crazy, passing on a WR. But Jerry the football guy wants a punter and a long snapper so bad ....

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hoping for stud LB in first. But I do think they are depending on a WR from draft to come straight in. Mistake IMO.

A stud LB, preferable MLB, is very high on my wish list too. I would like to see them wait until the 3rd round to think about a WR, and truthfully I wouldn't mind waiting until the 4th, with DT and O-Line being taken early, along with a LB. I concede there is some gamble with that because the overall talent at WR doesn't jump out at you, but if we can get the running game going like 2016 I think that's okay. Steady and consistent may be better than the flash and occasional big play from Bryant.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
They will draft a WR. Hopefully not in round 1 because I honestly don’t think this WR talent pool has any receiver that is a “can’t miss” so called “#1 receiver”.

To clarify, I think Ridley and Sutton are both going to be a solid NFL receivers. All Pro? No, don’t think so. Then with the second round type guys- DJ Moore, Michael Gallup, Anthony Miller, J. Washington, etc...they are all better guys for day 2 and although probably not true #1 types (which is overrated anyway), they have much better value in the draft.

I’m hoping the Cowboys select a player in round one that truly has first round value. And there are several that can bring immediate impact, especially on defense.

We can get a good WR on days 2 and 3. Please Jerry...no first round WR.
I still think we will go with the BPA of these 3 at #19:

DaRon Payne
Rashaan Evans
Roquan Smith

Then...

We will wheel and deal to move that second pick up to get back into the bottom of the 1st round (or top of the 2nd) and take Sutton.

glimmerman

Reaction score
A stud LB, preferable MLB, is very high on my wish list too. I would like to see them wait until the 3rd round to think about a WR, and truthfully I wouldn't mind waiting until the 4th, with DT and O-Line being taken early, along with a LB. I concede there is some gamble with that because the overall talent at WR doesn't jump out at you, but if we can get the running game going like 2016 I think that's okay. Steady and consistent may be better than the flash and occasional big play from Bryant.
Smart minds think alike. I wonder if we offer JJ some liquor if we can lure him out of the war room and do the picks ourselves.

KeepinTime

Reaction score
Wouldn’t mind it much, although like most here have mentioned I think they will draft one somewhere in Round 2 or 3. I’d much prefer they solidify the LB core and grab an OG before going after a WR.