How would you feel about Dallas passing on the wide receiver position entirely in the draft?

cowboyec

Reaction score
considering Allen Hurns injury history....we better think LONG TERM.
I get not taking one in Rd1....I argue for guys I like,regardless of position,but believe me...I get not wanting one at 19.
but in Rd2,or3....we better.
Hurns...2yr deal.
Thompson...1yr deal.
Beasley might be on his last yr here.
TWill the body catcher....nuff said.

Rd1:Calvin Ridley or Courtland Sutton.
OR
Rd2:Christian Kirk or James Washington.
OR
Marcel Ateman or DaeSean Hamilton later on.

Please and Thank You.

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
considering Allen Hurns injury history....we better think LONG TERM.
I get not taking one in Rd1....I argue for guys I like,regardless of position,but believe me...I get not wanting one at 19.
but in Rd2,or3....we better.
Hurns...2yr deal.
Thompson...1yr deal.
Beasley might be on his last yr here.
TWill the body catcher....nuff said.

Rd1:Calvin Ridley or Courtland Sutton.
OR
Rd2:Christian Kirk or James Washington.
OR
Marcel Ateman or DaeSean Hamilton later on.

Please and Thank You.

This is good analysis and I couldn’t agree more. Well said!

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AFew years ago we lost our starting RB in FA after he had a very good year running the ball for us.

We brought in and visited with a large amount of RBs. I don't know if it was as many as the WRs this year but it was probably close.

We brought in a cheap FA in McFadden who most just figured would be a vet for a rookie RB.

As the draft went on we kept passing on RBs and taking other players. When the draft was over we had drafted ZERO RBs.

Just saying it is possible and something similar has happened not long ago.

With that said. I could see us double dipping for WRs in this draft. This draft is deep at WR even if the top blue chip types are shallow.

I will also say I could see them taking a LB or DT in round one and still. Getting WR(s) later.

They could even do like they did in the Tank draft and trade up in the second round if there is a WR they really like after the typical drafted a different position in the first.

TruBluSince1982

Reaction score
You think a rookie WR is the difference between a good season and a bad one?

No not at all... but not exactly trying to mail it in either..

I wanted them to go after Gabriel in FA, fast quick twitch receiver with good hands and experience.. Thought this was the consensus on what Dak needed, not Hurns.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
No not at all... but not exactly trying to mail it in either..

I wanted them to go after Gabriel in FA, fast quick twitch receiver with good hands and experience.. Thought this was the consensus on what Dak needed, not Hurns.

Gotcha.

I think Hurns was just them looking for a cheap “Dez Clone”, someone you can keep throwing those infamous 50/50 balls to.

Frees them up to go after a smaller guy in the draft, rather than worrying about who the X receiver is since the only receiver currently on the roster that fits the bill is probably Williams.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
How would I feel? How would a thirsty man feel about someone refusing him a drink of water? Sorry, but I see another WR as a valid need. Like it or not, it'll more than likely happen.

Last edited:

Buzzbait

Reaction score
How would I feel? How would a thirsty man feel about someone refusing him a drink of water? Sorry, but I see another WR as a valid need. Like it or not, it'll more than likely happen.

I agree with you Bullflop, Jerry was unhappy about Philly taking the Super Bowl and us still in the Toilet Bowl. I think when they let Dez go they were already planning on drafting another WR. I see it as a valid need as well.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Totally fine with it. This team wins on the ground, not through the air

morasp

Reaction score
I think they will take a WR but it better not be round 1. If our entire defensive front seven doesn't have a player picked in the first surely we can find a later round WR especially with this years group. The value for WR in this draft is on days two and three.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Totally fine with it. This team wins on the ground, not through the air

Actually, it wins largely by a healthy balance of both. But what do I know, you might ask? Not much, really. ;)

In the end, we, as fans will sit by, hoping for whatever it is we want when nothing really helps it to happen.

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
How would you feel about Dallas passing on the wide receiver position entirely in the draft. I don't think they will, buyback a I also think we are in good enough shape that we don't need to be compelled to draft a receiver at all.

I would have no issue with it. Improving the defense is what this teams needs the most.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I would say you are banking heavely on Dak turning into Rodgers this off-season, or banking on this defense being a legit top 3 unit without the ball control aspect.

Not really concerned about THIS season at all. Its all about he future for me.

joshjwp

Reaction score
If be thrilled. Not an impressive receiver draft IMO. Draft defense. On offense only get a guard and maybe the future TE if one is there. Then, worry about receiver next year.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Wouldn't bother me or surprise me. I expect them to go OL in the fist two rounds.

Could happen, along with a host of other things as well. Ya gotta love it.

Could be a LB in the 1st and a LG in the 2nd, too. (Along with who knows what?)

There's only 6 days left to dream and scheme about what our favorite druthers might be! :)

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It doesn't matter how I feel about it because it's not happening.