How Would You Go About Building A Running Game

doomsday9084

Reaction score
The run game issues are caused by a two factors:
1. The run plays / blocking scheme. The plays are simply too slow in developing. I'm sure everyone has seen how Pollard gets the ball and has to wait for linemen. No one else in the NFL does that.
2. Pollard seems to have lost his burst. I don't know if its age or injury but on the few plays that he actually had a seam, he only got 5 to 7 yards out of it. The guy from last year would have got 20. I think a lot of people underestimate just how fast the NFL is. Being just a smidge slower is the difference between breaking an arm tackle and getting wrapped up.

I don't think O line is the issue. They are made to look bad by slow developing plays.

So, fire Schottenheimer / Solari and get 2 new RB's.

plasticman

Reaction score
I would start with more than a backup coming off major surgery, an undersized rookie draft pick and two undrafted practice squad level talents.

I would draft two RB's free agent veterans are free agents for a reason.

I would build the O-line methodically and consistently no matter how good the line became. I would keep them under a constant state of competition. I would look for talent everywhere, the draft, rookie and veteran free agency, trades, other leagues, etc.

Blackrain

Reaction score
We are already behind the curve we can't screw up another draft

Can I start this out by saying to fix the running game we have to stop drafting tight ends we don't need.

I don't care what oline coach we get and what scheme he implements but we need these big turds to be able to block well
Next we've been working around a weak center ever since Big Fred retired we need the best center available in the draft in free agency I don't care.

Get an offensive tackle in the draft and I mean a plug and play tackle not a five-year project.

Instead of wasting another second round pick on a tight end let's get a good running back one that some other team hasn't beaten the living snot out of running backs age in dog years get one out of the draft when his rookie contract is up get another.

If there's a good quality veteran running back stockpile him too Henry, Barkley, cook.

Note to Jerry spend some f and money in free agency and at the trade deadline. Tired of seeing our quarterback have to try and be Superman in the playoffs give him the running game and let him be Clark Kent and comfortable.

vlad

Reaction score
I'd find a runner coming off a playoff injury who has never been a starter and try to pair him with a cheap free agent, a couple of UDFAs who have done nothing up to this point in their careers and a late-round draft pick who has at least one trait that is tough to overcome. Would put all my hopes, dreams and expectations into that.
Bro you just got hired!

Cmac

Reaction score
OL......no RB can get yardage when the blocking is questionable.

conner01

Reaction score
Start with oline coach
That’s where I’d start. Biadasz is a FA so I let him walk. Not crazy about a center at 24 because I don’t see a center worth that pick. Maybe trade back and replace one of our list picks but that carries the risk of someone trading up in front of you

RonWashington

Reaction score
Draft a running back and some OL before round 7 and Mel Kipers hair jell has melted.

Aven8

Reaction score
Start with a new Oline coach and play Brock and Bass. It’s no coincidence we ran better when those guys had to start. They are athletic

Creeper

Reaction score
Look at the Packers OL and how they block, not just in the running game but also in pass protection. The oldest guy on that OL was drafted in 2019. The others were drafted in 2020, 2021, and 2022. Both of their tackles were drafted in 2022, one in the 4th round, the other in the 7th. Two were drafted in the 2nd round, none in the first. This ground gave up 4 pressures against Dallas. And allowed Aaron Jones to run all over us. To me this is about coaching.

It is also about having WRs willing and able to block. Watching the Packers WR seal the 49ers DE inside was amazing. But if you want to run the football outside you need WRs and TEs to block.

Our run blocking was actually worse this year than last. I don't know how a coach can allow this to happen.

But I think the lesson is, we don't need to spend 1st and second round picks on OL. We needs coaches that develop late round picks into starting caliber players. It will take a couple of years to revamp the OL, especially since the priority has to be the DL.

The trick for all positions is not just to find good players in round 3 and 4. It is to find talented players and coach them up to be really good at what they do.

chuck520

Reaction score
Get a running back who knows how to run into a hole quickly

Watch Aaron Jones, he hits the hole and then makes moves

Pollard dances around trying to find an open hole

visionary

Reaction score
3 steps:

1. New OL coach from SF or beg and pay Callahan to come back

2. Draft OT and C in rds 1-2 this year

3. 1 FA good RB and 1 rd 3-5 RB
Release Pollard
Keep Dowdle as RB3

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Fire Solari
Bring back Tyron for 1 more year with a similar contract. If you want to leave Tyler at LG, start giving Asim every rep he can at LT.
Let Biadasz walk and draft a center in round 1 or 2
Give Bass every possible rep at RG in the offseason as this is Zack’s last ride
Hope Steele is better another year removed from injury.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
1. Get the best scout in college for o-line. Current scout who has been focusing on o-line in the past 3 years.

Everything else is a total waste of time behind the organization if you focus on the top of the pipeline...where your players come from. This person needs to be in tune with what is happening in college and what type of players and schemes are being run with these olines.

2. Get an o-line coach who is not from the o-line tree of 20 years ago. Rather someone who is a bit younger and has been taight great fundamentals, but has been exposed to more modern variants of offence. Route combinations in passing, blocking schemes, pre-snap looks, etc. Also would like someone with at least two - three team experience in the NFL with a few college teams.

3. Always stay young in your backfield. I don't care what anyone says, age and veteran savy mean nothing in the backfield. The backfield does not lead the dog in the modern NFL offence. It's all passing. What we want a run game for is to HAMMER the opposing defence into submission. First three quarters of dominance on the plays it is called upon, and last quarter of dominance tp close the game. Brutal and mindless violence when called upon. Tip Toers need not apply.

Once you can get the top three elements, then there are specialities within the unit.

Three down back. Can run and block. Would like a heavy guy for this. I think 230-240 is about right.

Scat back. Need change of pace. Go in motion and threaten any defence from behind, on jet motion, wheels routes, etc. Can burn in open space and hurt you on screens.

Short yardage blunt instrument. Should be the stupidest guy on the team, and willing to forgo health and life after football just to punch the ball three yards and a cloud of dust and blood.

There is lot's to say about the type of candidates in the o-line, but there is such a dearth of o-line in the entire league that I would focus on types of players from a mental standpoint for o-line, and physical talent in the bakcfield.

I don't know if MM has the mentality to build a run game.

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
Put the rb 15 yards deep in the I. Since our OL coach likes to run them into brick walls, they need a head of steam to break through.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
Lets talk about free agents and the draft , who do you like . And how should we go about improving the run game.I wanted Henry from the Titans at the trade deadline.But we did nothing.Lets talk about it.
O-line, O-line, O-line, O-line, O-line, O-line. Draft RB in the 4th round