How would you rank Meredith, Staubach, White, Aikman, Romo?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I have no idea how to rank those great QBs but it's amazing how little love Meredith gets. Maybe it's because few here actually saw him play. Now I might rank him last too; don't know. But most here have no idea how good he was, how much crap he took, and how beat up he was for most of his career.

I was torn between him and White for the fourth spot, and I'm not knocking either of them because both were better than a lot of people think they are.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
If you've recorded any of Dallas' playoff performances during those season, you need to watch them to refresh your memory.

Go and watch Eli's playoff performances. Big deal.

I love Aikman, but you look at what he had compared to Roger, White, Romo... I mean we're talking the NFL's best defense and leading rusher. How hard is it to play quarterback with that?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
White was a better athlete than Staubach but maybe not the winner Roger was. Hard to say.

gimmesix

Reaction score

I love Aikman, but you look at what he had compared to Roger, White, Romo... I mean we're talking the NFL's best defense and leading rusher. How hard is it to play quarterback with that?

Staubach's team didn't have a great Doomsday Defense or great running attacks? You need to go back even further and watch his Super Bowl teams.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
Staubach's team didn't have a great Doomsday Defense or great running attacks? You need to go back even further and watch his Super Bowl teams.

There has not and never will be a team better than the 92-93 Cowboys. Never.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score

Funny but I believe he is underrated. Aikman was a master at running the vertical offense. Of course he benefitted from an offense able to run the ball particularly up the middle, two WRs able to spread the field vertically, a great hybrid TE, and a WR who ran precise routes. The defense helped the offense of course but a ball control offense helped the defense as well. Aikman was able to read and react to defenses appropriately as well as put the ball into tight spots with velocity too I might add. He is the perfect QB for the vertical offense.

gimmesix

Reaction score
There has not and never will be a team better than the 92-93 Cowboys. Never.

Staubach's Cowboys teams didn't have to be better than the 92-93 Cowboys. They just had to be better than their competition ... and they were better with a hard-nosed defense, a timely running game and Captain Comeback, not to mention the guy in the funny hat. The only TEAM better during Dallas heyday was the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Nexx

Reaction score
1. Staubach
2. Aikman
3. Romo
4. Meredith
5. White

?? Pelluer?

Diogenes

Reaction score
I have no idea how to rank those great QBs but it's amazing how little love Meredith gets. Maybe it's because few here actually saw him play. Now I might rank him last too; don't know. But most here have no idea how good he was, how much crap he took, and how beat up he was for most of his career.

Meredith could light up a smoke on the sidelines, put it out, then come in and throw a TD pass.

bark

Reaction score
White was a better athlete than Staubach but maybe not the winner Roger was. Hard to say.

Jobber that darn auto correct got you on this one . When you were typing "white was a better punter than staubach", it slipped by you and actually read "better athlete. "
Anyway just wanted to give you a heads up cause i know you wouldn't want a blasphemous post like that in your history.......:D

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Jobber that darn auto correct got you on this one . When you were typing "white was a better punter than staubach", it slipped by you and actually read "better athlete. "
Anyway just wanted to give you a heads up cause i know you wouldn't want a blasphemous post like that in your history.......:D

LOL. No, Danny would keep Roger pissed off because he beat him at everything. They were very good friends and did a lot of stuff together. Danny beat him from basketball to ping pong which would piss Roger off who wanted to win at everything he did. Roger just was a winner on the field and poor Danny either didn't have the team like Roger or couldn't get what he had to play like Roger did. When Roger was in the huddle the guys knew he was going to lead them back. Of course Roger stunk it up a few times but he just made people believe in him.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Meredith could light up a smoke on the sidelines, put it out, then come in and throw a TD pass.

LOL. And he could make Landry so mad with his irreverent attitude about everything. Landry had a sense of humor just not on the sidelines. Meredith was a hoot. You know he spent time in the hospital post games more than once. Between the early teams being so bad and the rules allowing guys to knock the crap out of the QB (often illegally even then as well) Meredith got really beaten up badly. Meredith wasn't always so happy go lucky though. He could really blast guys in the huddle and didn't take any crap back either. He was a helluva QB and guy.

bark

Reaction score
LOL. No, Danny would keep Roger pissed off because he beat him at everything. They were very good friends and did a lot of stuff together. Danny beat him from basketball to ping pong which would piss Roger off who wanted to win at everything he did. Roger just was a winner on the field and poor Danny either didn't have the team like Roger or couldn't get what he had to play like Roger did. When Roger was in the huddle the guys knew he was going to lead them back. Of course Roger stunk it up a few times but he just made people believe in him.

Lol.. Yeah I wish Danny could have gotten over the hump. I think by the time he came around our doomsday d had gotten a little long in the tooth. If only e walls had cut in front of Clark instead of behind him. If only Pearson wore a tear away jersey... If only.
I wish history could have been kinder to him and Meredith. Both great players that represented the star. Here's hoping tony doesn't suffer the same fate.

KB1122

Reaction score
Staubach led the league in passer rating on multiple occasions. He had the highest career passer rating when he retired. He posted a 104 -- higher than Romo ever has -- in 1971!

He was the best quarterback of the NFL's best era. He had the best wheels of the group. And he won 2 Super Bowls.

It isn't even in dispute who is number 1.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
We all love Meredith, but youre getting ahead of yourself if you actually place Dandy Don above Romo. Be real

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Never saw Meredith or Staubach play unfortunately.

Aikman
Romo
White

rcaldw

Reaction score
I'm not propping anyone up I just think Aikman is incredibly overrated. I love him to death, honestly. But again, what did he really have to do besides hand the ball off? If I'm not mistaken, they started their 1993 season out 0-2 and magically started winning games when Emmitt came back.

It's not to say that I don't think he's good, he's obviously in the HOF for a reason. But he's pretty low tier compared to the other players in there.

You can have your opinion. I can say that I believe it is idiotic. It is.

Aurican

Reaction score
Romo wouldn't of lasted long playing in AIkman's era IMO the rules now have greatly changed the game and I don't believe his body could of taken the hits those QBs took even with his elusiveness. The stats can't be compared due to the different eras and other variables but Aikman was clutch in the playoffs against top competition.