How you feelin today ?

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
I am ok with not over paying for Murray. With that said...So far the FA signings we have made have been underwhelming but it is line with the type of thing we did last year and it is line with what has been said prior to FA in what was going to happen.

So concerning FA signings or lack of by the cowboys at this time this might sum up how I feel...

http://i18.***BLOCKED***/albums/b133/BrAinPaiNt/blahblah.gif

Exactly

Sydla

Reaction score
No real issues with Murray bolting. Going to the Eagles made it tougher to swallow but I was ready to let Murray walk anyway.

But that was with the understanding/belief (which is looking to be false at this point) that the money they would spend on Murray would be used to bolster holes in the defense - maybe an upgrade at CB or S, a legit pass rusher, LB help, maybe a better option to play alongside Crawford at DT.

And yet.......... none has been addressed. And all the best options that would have improved the defense are basically gone other than Hardy or maybe doing something crazy like going after Gipson, the S in Cleveland, and paying a 2nd rounder for him.

That's my issue. I know people keep saying, look at last year, no big moves and we won the division. Well, I don't want to win the division, I want to make the SB and doing nothing but shopping the discount rack at Kohls isn't going to get that done. So therein lies my disappointment. Not that we didn't resign Murray. I am on board with that. My disappointment is that we haven't done one thing at all this offseason to make ourselves a significantly bettter team.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Murray is a good back, but he's not the same as he was a few years ago. As a rookie he was faster than Williams, but if you put them in a foot race now I think Williams could take him. Besides, we had a balanced year, no doubt we go back to the pass first philosophy, jk

davey999

Reaction score
I am also Ok with not paying Murray 21 mill guaranteed and I understand the cap ramifications, but this is going to be a very sorry defense unless miracles are performed.

Also, if Romo were 28 I would not be too concerned going forward, but I think with his injury history he may have 2 good years left. That's too bad.

dupree89

Reaction score
I am feeling fine. And no, I am not usually a glass half-full guy. Usually my glass is half-empty and has a leak in it.
But I am comfortable with what management is doing, practicing restraint and making decisions based on finances rather than emotions. Jerry and the crew are being responsible these days.

Also, I now believe there will not be AP in our future. And I still feel fine about the team. RB by committee, let it be a moving target and work on improving the position by signing one veteran on the cheap, drafting a mid to later round guy and also see who is cut as the season gets close.

I, for one, appreciate how the front office isnt going nuts signing a guy and then worrying later how it disrupts future signings.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Angry and hurt but it is what it is. I doubt Murray's going to help the Eagles win a SB. Chip Kelly hasn't convinced me his system can win in the NFL. He can beat the bad and mediocre teams but not much else and Bradford will never stay healthy. The only thing the Eagles really did was make us weaker. Now it's up to us to prove that we can replace Murray and upgrade this defense. We'll see. I'm not going to yell at the FO until I see what we do in the draft and see who actually is on this team for next season.

PoundTheRock

Reaction score
I am also Ok with not paying Murray 21 mill guaranteed and I understand the cap ramifications, but this is going to be a very sorry defense unless miracles are performed.

Also, if Romo were 28 I would not be too concerned going forward, but I think with his injury history he may have 2 good years left. That's too bad.

The Cowboys were sorry on defense last year. They were just as bad as they were in 13. The difference is they stayed off the field because of the offense, it's not a unit the Cowboys should be falling over themselves to keep together.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Cowboy fans are panicking, hey the season doesn't start in March. Relax the front office has a plan and I will stick with them. They are not going to go into the season without an adequate replacement for Murray.

Jenky

Reaction score
Woke up today thinking about that empy Eagles trophy case emoticon / gif and worrying that Murrray might be on that stand at the SB before we ever get there.

I have no idea who the RB will be and not does the brass - so right off the bat I see Pass pass pass making its way back to VR and having to ask our 33 yr old - fragile QB to win it ...

I'm in between feeling depressed and a fog ...anger starting to rear its ugly head as well ...

In the history of the NFC east never before has a player in his prime switched allegiances like this - ever .
This is historic .

How the is our 1800 all pro back an Eagle ?

LOL, Eagles going to the Superbowl? Good one.

And you already forgot about DeSean Jackson going to the Commanders.

coogrfan

Reaction score
Let me be clear. I think the Cowboys did the right thing, given their cap situation (unlike the Eagles they didn't have a 159 Million ceiling).

But to think he went to the Eagles, and could help them get their first Lombardi, is a thought too depressing to contemplate.

Relax. As long as Chip Kelly is their HC Philly ain't winning squat.

Reactions: BAZ

tyke1doe

Reaction score
This forum is amazing. We have reached for and attained futility following years of overpaying for star players or retaining players when we should have let them go, ala, Bill Belichek and the Patriots.
And fans want us to return to those thrilling days of finishing our season in December?
We have a strategy - build the lines and through the draft. Our picks are finally turning into studs; we're playing more younger players earlier and we're not destroying our cap by overpaying free agents.
I'm not upset in the least that Murray is gone. Yes, I would have liked for him to have stayed, but for the right price.
But if he were to leave, this year was the best time. There is a lot of running back talent in the draft, and it doesn't take a running back three years to start in the NFL. Gordon or Gurley (assuming his knee is okay) can step in and do just fine, especially behind this offensive line. And if we don't get either, there are still some very good backs we can snag in the second or third round. I think the Cowboys kept Ryan Williams for a reason. They know more about him than any of us do. And I don't believe AP is going stay a Viking. Now that he sees Murray is no longer in our plans, I think he's talking to his agent even now saying, "Make me a Cowboy."
I'm not bothered in the slightest.

Last edited:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
You mean the guy who went 0-16 and let a one legged QB sit in the pocket and tear us apart - refusing to blitz ?

Mmmkay

I sure didn't miss you all season when Dallas was one of the best in the league.

Where were you?

I do remember you saying the sky was falling last offseason though.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Although have argued the last day or so let me be serious for a bit.

Going into last year with our losses in FA and the few gains in FA we all (well most thought) the defense was going to be horrible, and rightfully so. Many thought the defense would be even worse than it was the year prior. I personally thought it was going to be as bad or worse.

But it turned out to be much better.

Let me clarify...It was not Great, I would not even go so far to say it was good.

What it was however, was much better.

Going into this year I see less quality players leaving the defense but I do so more of a quantity of defense players leaving.

Barring us signing someone like a Hardy...I don't think we will sign any impact players. I think we sign some rotational depth kind of journeymen cast off playres.

I don't think the defense will be improved but if it is, it will be from the draft or from other players getting healthy and other players getting better with exp (like D.Lawrence getting exp or Lee being healthy). But again I don't expect much of an improvement.

What I think will happen this year, like it did last year is a team that sees that it's offense is going to carry this team like it did last year. I think they feel they can get a decent RB in the draft and rotate him with RBs currently on the roster so that although we may or may not have a RB that has the amount of production that Murray had last year...a combination of them might. Or heck maybe they feel they can get a back who can produce similar numbers as murray last year.

So...I don't think the defense will be much better than last year, but I thought they were going to be much worse last year then they were so who knows.

I do know that I don't need to post this type of thing over and over and over ad nauseum in multiple threads every time someone does not feel the same doom and gloom that I might feel.

LittleD

Reaction score
Let me be clear. I think the Cowboys did the right thing, given their cap situation (unlike the Eagles they didn't have a 159 Million ceiling).

But to think he went to the Eagles, and could help them get their first Lombardi, is a thought too depressing to contemplate.

Okay, everyone raise their hands who thinks the Eagles will win the SB this year.
That's what I thought. Bradford doesn't impress me and might last 5 games before he's IR'd.
Their OL looks like a work in progress and with the exception of Murray, their signings don't
impress me much!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I woke up excited to see what the triplets of hate, doom & gloom are posting....which one is which?

We are still better off at this point than what we were last year at this point. Not going to go through it again. This off season going pretty well as expected actually.
Except we lost both Carter and Durant, but both could be upgraded also. Was hoping to keep Murray, but wasn't going to lose any sleep over it if we didn't. There are other options.
Free or Parnell, we kept the right guy.
So all will work out fine.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
They absolutely made the right decision with Murray. It's going to be a tall order replacing him, but it's doable. Running back is the position you want to fill, if you absolutely have to fill one.

Gotta let this defensive situation play out. Right now it looks grim, but in the back of my mind I know our defense was trash last year. I don't really care about pieces shuffling around because they sucked anyway. I'd long come to terms with a guy like Bruce Carter leaving and he was probably the best guy who has walked so far. It shouldn't be hard to duplicate what they did last year, if our running game is on point again. That was the Cowboys defense more than these guys walking away.

I think his replacement is already here....Ryan Williams could blow his record out of the water. People may not admit it...But Murray left alot of yards on the field last year.