How you like your steak?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sous vide cooks the steak to the EXACT temperature you prefer. An oven is far less precise and hence why the best steakhouses use the Sous Vide process.
I know but I do not have that problem utilizing a meat thermometer and reverse searing is less work and I like the texture better with the fat melting through. They use the sous vide for speed, ole CC with his libations, cigar and grill has all the time he needs. Although one thing I've noticed, reverse searing makes one refer to themselves in the third person more than the sous vide method.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Speaking of steaks, is it true that there is a Steak n Ale in the Dallas area now? I heard it was trying to make a comeback but haven’t heard anything more.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
#5 with ketchup
What the hell?

A good steak only requires salt and pepper. If you are putting anything else on it, you're covering up a terrible steak. Most of the time when people put stuff on a steak, it's because they over cook it.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Speaking of steaks, is it true that there is a Steak n Ale in the Dallas area now? I heard it was trying to make a comeback but haven’t heard anything more.
I don't live there anymore so I haven't heard that but when the did it, they did it better than Outback or Saltgrass and I would give them a shot.

They had the first salad bar I had ever seen when they opened in Little Rock in the late 60's and the wait was always 1.5-2 hours but it was worth it back then.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
What the hell?

A good steak only requires salt and pepper. If you are putting anything else on it, you're covering up a terrible steak. Most of the time when people put stuff on a steak, it's because they over cook it.
The other way of saying that is, if you make your steak well done, the only way to make it remotely edible is to put some sort of liquid on it.

I agree that a good properly-cooked steak will be delicious with just salt and pepper. But you can have a good steak with stuff on it--steak au poivre, filet with a mushroom sauce. Yum.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't live there anymore so I haven't heard that but when the did it, they did it better than Outback or Saltgrass and I would give them a shot.

They had the first salad bar I had ever seen when they opened in Little Rock in the late 60's and the wait was always 1.5-2 hours but it was worth it back then.

How about their french onion soup? Even the cheddar cheese for the bread? SG and Outback have gone downhill over the years, they are more about quantity over quality now :thumbdown:

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
What the hell?

On the contrary, I find that ketchup actually complements a fully cooked filet. I am, however, a man of discerning tastes. In fact, steak with ketchup is the preferred combination of our Dear Leader.

057.jpg

Last edited:

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
NO WAY is ketchup touching my steak!!! Sauce is needed when the steak is horrid. A good steak with good seasons and finished with butter is all you need!

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Ketchup is probably the worst condiment that ever existed with the exception of Whataburger's spicy ketchup. I only eat that on fries. Otherwise, I eat fries with salt and pepper only.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Depends on the cut but usually shoot for the sweet spot between 2-3. There's this magic spot for max tenderness for different cuts and if I am doing a bone-in ribeye, I'll get closer to 2 than 3 but that's after indirectly cooking it to 110 and then let the sear go to work and the after cook takes it to the right point.

I just recently tried strips again and I was surprised the difference in beef. I used the reverse sear method on an Akaushi beef strip and it had the consistency of a ribeye and lots of flavor. My two major complaints against strips were flavor and texture and that's what I like about ribeyes.

One thing I have stopped doing with steaks is paying extra for prime, it's not worth it and a friend that used to manage high end steakhouses told me the prime we get in grocery stores and is not close to the prime restaurants get. The one exception is that if I buy at Costco, usually filets that I marinate in the Steak & Ale marinade, because they do not age their beef. I also learned from him that I wasn't salting the steak enough before cooking and I was really surprised by the difference once I started doing it right.

Hey, since Hawk started this mouth watering thread, how do y'all cook your steaks? I changed to the reverse sear some time ago and it really worked well and if you go a little low and slow as I do to get that fat melting and carrying flavor, the salt acts as a bacteria deterrent.
Yep, you don’t want raw brisket.