How's Mazi been doing?

Proof

Reaction score
You want to say he’s a rookie and we shouldn’t expect much ? Fine. But don’t tell me that the only problem here is lack of sacks. That’s absurd. He is literally one of the worst run defenders at his position in the league. He’s got a lot to improve on.
can you quantify this? i’m not saying you’re wrong but you’re speaking definitively so i assume you’ve got supporting evidence?

HungryLion

Reaction score
I see that's what his combine weight was, He was listed at 337 at Michigan and at the time of the draft.

Even if it is 28 lbs, that's not great for a run-stuffing 1Tech that was supposed to help the run defense.
Idk. Pure weight is overrated. His strength and ability to play with the necessary leverage to take advantage of that strength is far more important.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Idk. Pure weight is overrated. His strength and ability to play with the necessary leverage to take advantage of that strength is far more important.
Some players are exceptions but mass is a tangible, actual thing. Mazi has great quickness (for his size) and power ( or a human). He rarely shows it. That's a huge issue.

RS12

Reaction score

PICK NO. 26: DALLAS COWBOYS: DI MAZI SMITH

Overall Rookie Grade: 49.8 (Rank: 10/13)
Principal Opponent:
Ezra Cleveland
Week 18 Snaps: 15
Week 18 Grade: 63.3

Dallas utilized Smith mostly as a pass rusher in Week 18, and he generated one win but no pressure on 11 pass-rush snaps. While he occasionally made impact plays this year, Smith struggled with consistency, especially in the run game. His 60.7 run-defense grade this week was actually his best mark since Week 10. Despite that effort, Smith’s year-long 34.9 run-defense grade is the lowest among Cowboys defenders.
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-grading-all-first-round-picks-2023-nfl-regular-season

DuncanIso

Reaction score

PICK NO. 26: DALLAS COWBOYS: DI MAZI SMITH

Overall Rookie Grade: 49.8 (Rank: 10/13)
Principal Opponent:
Ezra Cleveland
Week 18 Snaps: 15
Week 18 Grade: 63.3

Dallas utilized Smith mostly as a pass rusher in Week 18, and he generated one win but no pressure on 11 pass-rush snaps. While he occasionally made impact plays this year, Smith struggled with consistency, especially in the run game. His 60.7 run-defense grade this week was actually his best mark since Week 10. Despite that effort, Smith’s year-long 34.9 run-defense grade is the lowest among Cowboys defenders.
https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-grading-all-first-round-picks-2023-nfl-regular-season
Aka scrub DT