How's our draft position looking?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are 2 or 3 QBs projected 1st rounders. One of those should come here.
And they could both be gone by the time we draft. If we have no other QB's with a first round grade, according to you we draft one anyway.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
The most important position in sports is QB. I draft them high until I find one. With a franchise QB, the sky is the limit. There are 2 or 3 QBs projected 1st rounders. One of those should come here.

Joneses have said that a backup QB would be the top off-season priority. With Romo AND say ... Keapernick on the roster, do you still take a QB in the top 10?

cej757

Reaction score
He's #1 in SEC for reasons

He's not a shut down corner on the NFL level. If I'm picking a corner that high he needs to be able to deal with Dez, Julio Jones and guys with some size. He'll get torched trying to deal with those guys in the Redzone.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
And they could both be gone by the time we draft. If we have no other QB's with a first round grade, according to you we draft one anyway.
Well if they're all off the board, then no. But at this time, we're in a prime position to get one. Let me say this, and you know exactly what I'm talking about because I'm certain we both grew up with great QBs. It was a luxury to have a Roger Staubach, a Danny White, a Troy Aikman, a Tony Romo. I don't want to live in a world without one of these QBs.

There are other things we need, yes, but it's time right now to get a QB. If we have to pick him higher than anticipated, so be it. It doesn't matter as long as you find one. Not saying we will, but the search starts NOW. What a luxury to have to sit behind an awesome QB like Romo and learn, vs, having to start form day one and take a chance of choking away their career.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
I'm all for trading down...maybe 7 spots (if we're number 4) and pick up a 2nd and a 5th and get RB Ezekial of OSU with the 1st pick DT Jarran Reed of Ala and get QB Cardale Jones of OSU with the 2nd Round Picks. Jones could be groomed to be the QB in about 3-4 years. With the 3rd get a Safety. With the 4th get an ILB. Then, get good quality backups.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I'm all for trading down...maybe 7 spots (if we're number 4) and pick up a 2nd and a 5th and get RB Ezekial of OSU with the 1st pick DT Jarran Reed of Ala and get QB Cardale Jones of OSU with the 2nd Round Picks. Jones could be groomed to be the QB in about 3-4 years. With the 3rd get a Safety. With the 4th get an ILB. Then, get good quality backups.
My criteria for a QB is Moore with an arm. He's smart, accurate, just has a noodle arm. And if he has all of those AND can scramble, it's a bonus. If Jones is that guy, I'm down. Otherwise, I look/search for that guy if it's available. If not, then I'd take accuracy next as long as they don't have a noodle arm.

So in this order, I'm looking for as a QB
1. QB intelligence
2. Accuracy
3. Power
4. Pocket awareness
5. Team player
6. Scrambling ability
7. Not a fat face.

conner01

Reaction score
I like the idea of having the 4th pick in the draft.
However I am having trouble thinking of a way anyone in the draft will really help us in any quick way. Over time a collective strong draft is key to success but who would we target with the 4th or 5th pick that isn't a so what type of impact player.

I think you could pick a player who impacted right away with a top WR or maybe DT though I tend to
Look more long term myself. If a QB worth a top 5 pick is there, I take him
But if not then you very well could see a guy who impacts right away

conner01

Reaction score
I'm all for trading down...maybe 7 spots (if we're number 4) and pick up a 2nd and a 5th and get RB Ezekial of OSU with the 1st pick DT Jarran Reed of Ala and get QB Jones of OSU with the 2nd Round Picks. Jones could be groomed to be the QB in about 3-4 years. With the 3rd get a Safety. With the 4th get an ILB. Then, get good quality backups.

Don't like picking for need but if a QB is not there a trade down is very possible

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Does anyone have a list of traded picks and/or possible comps.

I know we traded picks/spots for Swaim, CMike, Butler and Cassel

Cowboyz88

Reaction score
So, to state the obvious, a Giants loss only helps us our SOS, correct?

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score

All for trading down trying to land a WR and a RB early. Especially if Dallas in fact plans to sign a Veteran QB, instead of Drafting a Rookie QB.

Eitherway the Cowboys need to improve production on the Offensive side of the ball with the addition of a couple of extra playmakers... because Whitehead/Dunbar/Butler aren't the answer.

Reaction score
Joneses have said that a backup QB would be the top off-season priority. With Romo AND say ... Keapernick on the roster, do you still take a QB in the top 10?

If they believe the QB is worthy then they absolutely make the pick and thank their lucky stars for the opportunity,,, unless they've got a better plan for landing a franchise QB to replace Romo. It would be better to pay for a proven franchise QB but, really, how often does that opportunity come around?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I don't think we need to find perfection at QB, Luck was supposed to be can't miss QB hasn't done much, yet a late round Aaron Rodgers has a SB victory. Look for certain aspects in a QB and groom him. Now it's debatable whether we can groom a QB, but this is where we are right now. I'm pushing for a QB because from here out, unless there is an epic failure with Romo, we won't be picking this high for several years. Let's say we wait 3 more years until Romo is in a body bag from taking hits, then you can add 3 more years before he can carry a team. That's 6 years we have to wait to be competative.

Not to mention if he doesn't pan out, add another 4 years and we have another decade of no SB appearances. I can't take another decade of misery.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
All for trading down trying to land a WR and a RB early. Especially if Dallas in fact plans to sign a Veteran QB, instead of Drafting a Rookie QB.

Eitherway the Cowboys need to improve production on the Offensive side of the ball with the addition of a couple of extra playmakers... because Whitehead/Dunbar/Butler aren't the answer.

If we get a Veteran QB, that's fine. But, it's time to draft one and get him ready in three or four years.