Hurricane Florence

TonyS

Reaction score
I'm more worried about the amount of rain that could be dropped up there. Especially if heavy rainfall hits the mountains. Mudslides/flooding etc.
Flooding projections indicate 30-40" of rain over Carolinas. NC drains into SC. Maybe not just the coastal residents who should be evacuating. If you're near a river or other body of water, think about getting to higher ground now.

Cowboysfandarin

Reaction score
Yup live 30 min. from wilmington i and the wife and kid left tuesday and am up in NY where i used to live staying with family but i am very worried about my house ! but we are safe and out of danger personally

It's shifted South quite a bit and not going to be a direct hit for Wilmington anymore. If it had, Wilmington was gone. Literally would have wiped it and the peninsula hatteras island, off the map. As in literally gone. But now I think there is hope. But it's still gonna be a mess for a long time.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I live in Charleston. My wife and I are still watching the latest projections. We should be ok if it comes to Charleston as a cat 2. Anything higher, and we will head inland. We should know what are plans are by tomorrow morning.

I’m in Charlotte too. I don’t think we’ll need to leave, but get the backyard furniture indoors, even the grills. Obviously we’ll get torrential downpour, but I think the wind will be worse than expected. Yeah, yeah, it’s a hurricane, but you can still get caught off guard even when you’re prepared to brace.

waldoputty

Reaction score
It's shifted South quite a bit and not going to be a direct hit for Wilmington anymore. If it had, Wilmington was gone. Literally would have wiped it and the peninsula hatteras island, off the map. As in literally gone. But now I think there is hope. But it's still gonna be a mess for a long time.

dont trust the weather predictions too much, especially in terms of what it will do as it gets close to the shore

waldoputty

Reaction score
Looks like a stall just off the coast, could be worse than Harvey in areas, not area wise though.

yea, everyone needs to remember that the storm churns counter-clockwise.
so the worst wind/surge would be north of the eye.
if the storm goes along the water, may get lower winds but much more rain/flooding and surge

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
yea, everyone needs to remember that the storm churns counter-clockwise.
so the worst wind/surge would be north of the eye.
if the storm goes along the water, may get lower winds but much more rain/flooding and surge

Yea, but 48 to 60 hours of even cat one winds will tear everything up. Harvey stalled inland, so the winds were nothing. The Houston and surrounding areas are prime lands for flooding.....doesn't even take a hurricane to widely flood.

I am not familiar with the Carolinas demography, so not sure how far inland that flooding will be.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Yea, but 48 to 60 hours of even cat one winds will tear everything up. Harvey stalled inland, so the winds were nothing. The Houston and surrounding areas are prime lands for flooding.....doesn't even take a hurricane to widely flood.

I am not familiar with the Carolinas demography, so not sure how far inland that flooding will be.

wilmington elevation is 30 feet. surge projected at up to 20 ft. does not sound good as a lot of city could be below 20 ft elevation.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Looks like the winds slightly went down, but the storm has flattened and grown. So, it is arguably worse with some saying it's only a category 3 now (barely)

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I live 30 minutes from Wilmington --- I have secured my home with hurricane shutters and did everything we could I got my family out by leaving tuesday. I am up in NY now and safe in my old stomping grounds - i really hope i have a home to go back to when this is said and done :oops: back in NY for Giants Cowboys tough time to get excited for a game though with everything at stake but we are physically safe....

I hope your house makes it out okay, but at least you're all safe, dear boy.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yup live 30 min. from wilmington i and the wife and kid left tuesday and am up in NY where i used to live staying with family but i am very worried about my house ! but we are safe and out of danger personally

God bless your family, dear boy. Hopefully, it'll do nothing serious to your house. Good job you're all safe though.

lukin2006

Reaction score
News interviewed a fellow who was evacuating, the evacuee said “if you are in your house with triple digit wind speeds you will die.”

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I’m in Charlotte too. I don’t think we’ll need to leave, but get the backyard furniture indoors, even the grills. Obviously we’ll get torrential downpour, but I think the wind will be worse than expected. Yeah, yeah, it’s a hurricane, but you can still get caught off guard even when you’re prepared to brace.
Hoping you get through this unscathed bud.