Hurst, Vea or Payne?

Centex

Reaction score
Vea then Payne.

Vea is unique in this class and Payne is also a 1tech.
Hurst is a 3 tech and we are solid there unless you want to replace Collins after only two seasons or move him to 1 tech. I'm tired of moving players around. And want to get a player who is definitely going to play the position he is built for and is trained as.

sdfidaho

Reaction score
1) Vea: Three down 1T that can collapse the pocket on passing downs and plug up the middle on run plays.
2) Hurst: Three down undersized 3T. Marinelli type player that could make big impact in DT rotation.
3) Payne: Two down 1T that can plug up the middle and make plays in the run game. To me, Payne is the type of 1T that Dallas won't take in the 1st. Figuring they can get more value from this type of player in later rounds.

reddyuta

Reaction score
If i was to guess Hurst would be ahead of Payne and Vea on our board.

Hardline

Reaction score
This should be about Hurst and Payne.
Vea will be off the board before 19.

In fact two of the three could be off the board.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Vea
Payne

Hurst

I am of the opinion that we have are missing a true wide body run plugging 1tech.
Vea has a chance to be very special imo
VV is clearly a first round talent. Not sure Payne is a first round player but can see him developing into one. Hurst is a late second / third to me. If he doesn't win with quickness, he loses badly.

Not trying to hijack your thread but Taven Bryan is who I would look at as similar grade to Payne. If VV is gone at 19 can I slide back and get both Payne and Bryan or a combination that includes one of them.

Paintrain4978

Reaction score
Vea, Hurst, Payne, in that order.

Vea is unique in that he's got 1 tech size with the quickness of a 3 tech. He is my number 1 guy I'd like the Cowboys to draft because he would instantly change our defense. He can keep Olineman off our LBs and collapse the pocket. Unfortunately, out of the 3, he's probably the most likely not available at 19.

Hurst is the type of guy Marinelli loves, undersized but has a high motor and quickness. Depending on what happens with Irving I think he could be our 3 tech from the jump with Collins sliding over to the 1 tech.

I think Payne is the least likely to be drafted by the Cowboys because he's purely a 1 tech with great strength and power.

Side note, I am really starting to come around on Harrison Phillips as a 1 tech as well and probably would take him over Payne as well. I've watched a lot of tape on him recently and the dude is an animal. I love his quickness, strength at the point of attack, and he's always trying to work a move. His hands don't stop fighting and he has a relentless motor. I think Marinelli would love this guy as well.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
  1. The most important position on Marinelli's defense is the 3T.
  2. Hurst is being compared to Aaron Donald. If that is anywhere accurate.:flagwave:
  3. David Irving played 3T last season but only played 8 games. Unreliable. Isn't the typical Marinelli 3T - more of a matchup tweener. Wins with length and power rather than quickness & leverage.
  4. Maliek Collins was moved to 1T last year. Back to back years broke his 5th metacarpal in each foot.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
Reality is that if Vea slipped to 19 we SHOULD gobble him up, but my worry would be the Chargers in front of us - yep that great last win against Eagles will rear its ugly head.
Been on the Payne band wagon since last year, and in the first "pet cat" thread for this last season was my pick.
Marrinelli, while I hate his DT phillosiphy, would be the exact type of coach to bring the monster out of Payne. We all saw what he did in the run up to, and the championship game. That is what I believe we would have with him in Dallas, and that he would blossum into a 3 down player.
He should have a high 2 nd round grade, and be there for us at 19 ( we might by then be out of 1st round graded players, Brugler said he has only 14 so far).

Hurst, while a good player, would be a mistake for this team. Another undersized Tackle, very similar to what we already have in Lewis Neal but with a bit more talent. We have enough 3-techs. Collins will be much better this year after the foot surgery and staying at his true position. I would be reluctant to let Irving go for anything less than a high 2nd round/1st rounder if we could get it, otherwise - he stays. And Lewis.
So, Vea or Payne and my great disapointment in this last season will be at an end.

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
  1. The most important position on Marinelli's defense is the 3T.
  2. Hurst is being compared to Aaron Donald. If that is anywhere accurate.:flagwave:
  3. David Irving played 3T last season but only played 8 games. Unreliable. Isn't the typical Marinelli 3T - more of a matchup tweener. Wins with length and power rather than quickness & leverage.
  4. Maliek Collins was moved to 1T last year. Back to back years broke his 5th metacarpal in each foot.
Couple comments. If other teams other than the Cowboys are comparing Hurst to Donald, he ain’t making it to #18. Who cares about Marinellis prototypical 3 Tech, he’s most likely gone after this year. Irving is a wrecking ball at 3 Tech. We need a true fat guy 1 Tech.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Couple comments. If other teams other than the Cowboys are comparing Hurst to Donald, he ain’t making it to #18. Who cares about Marinellis prototypical 3 Tech, he’s most likely gone after this year. Irving is a wrecking ball at 3 Tech. We need a true fat guy 1 Tech.
Richard likely takes over and runs basically the same defense.