Hurst, Vea or Payne?

DanA

Reaction score
:laugh:I know what SPARQ is chachi. And if Sapp weighed 285 and ran that then Payne at 20 lbs heavier is not comparing apples to apples. It's a weight to speed ratio. A guy running a a 5.0 at 330 lbs is a better athlete than a 260 lbs guy running a 4.75. A fail like that while trying to lecture me on the metric is amusing though. Almost as amusing as you speaking on Paynes times when he has not run yet.

And again: a predictor of what? You completely ignore that argument. We are talking about a first round pick and the standard you are talking about is serviceable starter.

And of course you blithely double down on the premise and are completely obtuse to the point I made. I am looking for elite players that have HoF potential. If you are trying to argue that a player has to run past a certain benchmark to compete then fine. Again that is not what I am arguing. I don't want us drafting slugs that cannot run.

At the same time there is no difference between a guy that runs around the average, like all the guys I listed, and a guy that is at the top of any year's 40 times. That has been my point.

Hey, as long as you’re willing to acknowledge that the weight, speed and production differences between Sapp and Payne make them nothing alike, we’re good. That was the bit I had contention with.

As for HOF potential, it’s a rare draft pick that I’d assign that kind of moniker too and Payne isn’t it. I’ll reserve that kind of rating for guys like Suh, Berry, Kuechly and Suggs where the production matches.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I was watching Josh Rosen's tape vs Washington, but ended up just watching Vea because he was stealing the show as a pass rusher. Dude is a monster athlete with so much potential.

He's what a lot of us have been screaming for on defense for the last decade, so if he's there at 19 and we don't take him I'll be a new kind of mad.

Reaction score
Hurst doesn't belong in the conversation, as he is a DT3. Vea will be gone, so he is a non-starter. That leaves Payne. I would throw out another name of a player who is really moving up the boards. Harrison Phillips, DT, Stanford is going to force himself into first round conversations. Dude played DT1 at 6-4, 295 & led his team in tackles-103, sacks-8, and tackles for loss-17. He also had six QB hurries. All this while playing NOSE TACKLE! Vea had 44 tackles, 4 sacks, 6 tackles for loss, & 0 QB hurries. Phillips has 15 sacks over the last 2 seasons. In addition to making several All-American football teams, he also made Academic All-American, and was a 3-time state wrestling champion in HS. Just a little food for thought.