Hypothetical ... If Garrett was coach of the Pats

tecolote

Reaction score
That doesn't answer the question.

The point was...it's been a long while since Bill looked like a genius.

Funny how that works in the NFL.

Last year Shannahan was a genius. This year on the hot seat.

For 3 years Mike Tomlin was the next great coach. Now he just looks like a fat Omar Epps.

It's like people don't even watch the games anymore. Everyone is who they were and who they forever will be.

11-5, 10-6, 14-2, 13-3, 12-4 and now 7-3, those are the Pats records since spygate, with a SB appearance and a championship game. He has done this with a ridiculous player turnover rate, have you seen their receivers this year? The man is a great head coach, probably top 5 all time.

What games are you watching?

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If your head coach last had a good game plan almost 2 yrs ago.

Kinda tells you all you need to know right there

Don't have to convince me, I want him gone, always have since he was hired.

The NY game then was a thing of beauty because I saw a different offense being utilized. Why? Because Witten was only a decoy and was not in the scheme, at all. We rocked that night and no team would have beaten us. That is the last game I remember where Garrett went outside the box.

The Rams this season was good but there was nothing different about the offense, it just so happened to work that day.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Don't have to convince me, I want him gone, always have since he was hired.

The NY game then was a thing of beauty because I saw a different offense being utilized. Why? Because Witten was only a decoy and was not in the scheme, at all. We rocked that night and no team would have beaten us. That is the last game I remember where Garrett went outside the box.

The Rams this season was good but there was nothing different about the offense, it just so happened to work that day.

I agree, that is probably the only game in the Garrett era that I can say he had a great gameplan and called the game to perfection.

1 great game in almost 3.5 years in the captain's chair..........................I am starting to think it was just a one time fluke.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Players loved Wade too..........................................just saying.

The defensive players did, for sure. Then again, Wade was a heck of a defensive coach.
Whatever you may think of Garrett, and we all know what you think of Garrett, the post I responded to about Tom Brady being unwilling to work for him is exactly the kind of intentional overstatement that makes it so difficult to have an serious conversation about any actual issues with the coaching staff on this team.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
The defensive players did, for sure. Then again, Wade was a heck of a defensive coach.
Whatever you may think of Garrett, and we all know what you think of Garrett, the post I responded to about Tom Brady being unwilling to work for him is exactly the kind of intentional overstatement that makes it so difficult to have an serious conversation about any actual issues with the coaching staff on this team.

What I think of Garrett is strictly due to his lack of results over the 3 seasons he has been the official head coach.

As you said in a previous post in another thread, its hard to claim you are the guy to fix the problems with the team when the problems never get fixed. At some point a head coach has to show that his program and his way of doing things actually translates to wins on the field. In all honesty, it really means jack how much you change the culture of the team or the way the team practices or the discipline on the team or whatever if the team continues to miss the playoffs year after year after year.

I think you used the term "running out of runway" to basically describe the same thing. Basically Garrett is running out of time to show that he is the guy to turn this team around when the team goes 500 every year under his leadership.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What I think of Garrett is strictly due to his lack of results over the 3 seasons he has been the official head coach.

As you said in a previous post in another thread, its hard to claim you are the guy to fix the problems with the team when the problems never get fixed. At some point a head coach has to show that his program and his way of doing things actually translates to wins on the field. In all honesty, it really means jack how much you change the culture of the team or the way the team practices or the discipline on the team or whatever if the team continues to miss the playoffs year after year after year.

I think you used the term "running out of runway" to basically describe the same thing. Basically Garrett is running out of time to show that he is the guy to turn this team around when the team goes 500 every year under his leadership.

He is. I'm one of his biggest fans, but he's got to demonstrate that he can get it done.

For me, as a supporter, the injuries on defense are killing me. It's not enough to just point to them and have that be the excuse, but it's obviously hurting the team, badly.

On top of it now, though, we've got the offense bogging down when it should not. These are things that I'm generally ok trusting to good coordinators to manage, but when they're not going right, it's the head coach who has to step in and get it sorted. We'll see what they've got in store on offense the next six weeks. The defensive problems are tougher, because right now they're mostly personnel related, but we should at least be getting some of the guys back. A healthy Ware and Hatcher would make a big difference along with Claiborne and Wilcox back in the secondary. It'll let us play more press again and have a chance of getting some pressure.

But, yeah. It's sort of a weird position for me to be in, because I believe strongly in what the guy's doing in terms of building the team the right way, filling holes, managing a bad cap position, and building through the draft. I like how he handles everybody and how much class he brings to the organization. I've never loved his offense (though I do appreciate the connection through Norv to the recent glory years). He's got issues on game days (thought most of them are overblown). Basically, he has some learning to do, but the guy's got the potential to be an iconic coach in the league here for a long time. I'd hate to let him go a year too soon. At the same time, yeah, he doesn't get forever. And the problem with this team being easy to pass against has existed for way too long, and hasn't been addressed this year, either. The takeaways are nice, but somebody's got to start getting people off the field on third downs if we're ever going to get where we're going.

khiladi

Reaction score
Please, we have no idea about Bellicheat's was considering the league burned the evidence... We just assume that i was about stealing signals... For all we know, they could be applying some of the same techniques, especially at their home field...

billsboys

Reaction score
How did Belichick do in his first 3 years? Do you think Cleveland wished they would of kept him?