Hypothetical ... If Garrett was coach of the Pats

dupree89

Reaction score
I would say the Pats have won a TON of meaningful games since spygate....

You can't win an argument with the few remaining Jason Garrett supporters. I don't see what they see on the sidelines during games that makes them think he is good- but they obviously see something magical about the guy.

All I see is a guy that is in over his head and is totally outmatched.

mrmojo

Reaction score
Learning on the job in Cleveland is much different than learning on the job with the Dallas Cowboys. There are just some coaching positons that SHOULD have an experienced, successful, respected head coach.
Head coach of the Cowboys is one of those positions.
Plus Cleveland was in a state of turmoil during the latter part of his stint with the rumored and eventual move of Cleveland to Baltimore.

koolaid

Drink Me
Reaction score
Which of those teams had the offensive and defensive line catastrophes that we've had over the past 3-4 years?

Those teams were simply more talented. Winning with Matt Cassell only proves that.

IF Bill is this genius coach who wins no matter his talent then he should have won in Cleveland.

This is a player's league. Coaches are the scapegoats.

I can't believe you are not giving Bill credit for winning with Cassell . Seriously, have you even looked at the patriots roster from 2008? They had two pro-bowl players that season. One was Wes Welker the other was a kicker..Their running backs were terrible! That roster wasn't even close to being elite.

Belichick has consistently coached that team to excellence for over a DECADE. He has lost coordinators across the board since the SB victories and maintained success on both sides of the ball. He has made savvy moves as both the HC and GM of his team (one of 4 such HC-GMs in the league).. He thinks outside the box and experiments, often successfully. (Loved when he took the safety on purpose)
http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story...conventional-moves-coach-new-england-patriots

As far as Cleveland goes:
1. Its Cleveland.
2. He got them to the playoffs and an 11-5 record and won a playoff game in his 3rd year (1994). He also gave us one of our 4 losses that season...
3. Have you seen the Browns 1994 roster? I wouldn't exactly call it stacked. In '95 They announced the team was moving to Baltimore in November and fired Bill after the season.

As far as winning in the NFL being purely players, i'm pretty sure the 49er's would disagree with you.
Its impossible to know how successful Bill would be in Dallas, but there is no denying the guy can coach.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
I can't believe you are not giving Bill credit for winning with Cassell . Seriously, have you even looked at the patriots roster from 2008? They had two pro-bowl players that season. One was Wes Welker the other was a kicker..Their running backs were terrible! That roster wasn't even close to being elite.

Belichick has consistently coached that team to excellence for over a DECADE. He has lost coordinators across the board since the SB victories and maintained success on both sides of the ball. He has made savvy moves as both the HC and GM of his team (one of 4 such HC-GMs in the league).. He thinks outside the box and experiments, often successfully. (Loved when he took the safety on purpose)
http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story...conventional-moves-coach-new-england-patriots

1. Its Cleveland.
2. He got them to the playoffs and an 11-5 record and won a playoff game in his 3rd year (1994). He also gave us one of our 4 losses that season...
3. Have you seen the Browns 1994 roster? I wouldn't exactly call it stacked. In '95 They announced the team was moving to Baltimore in November and fired Bill after the season.

As far as winning in the NFL being purely players, i'm pretty sure the 49er's would disagree with you.
Its impossible to know how successful Bill would be in Dallas, but there is no denying the guy can coach.

2008 season.

Beat the 2 win Chiefs
Beat the 9 win Jets
Lost to the 11 win Dolphins
Beat the 7 win 49ers
Lost to 8 win Chargers
Beat the 8 win Broncos
Beat the 2 win Rams
Lost to the 12 win Colts
Beat the 7 win Bills
Lost to the 9 win Jets
Beat the 11 win Dolphins
Lost to the 12 win Steelers
Beat the 4 win Seahawks
Beat the 5 win Raiders
Beat the 9 win Cardinals
Beat the 7 win Bills

3 wins against winning teams. 2 of those wins over 9-7 teams.

That 2008 season is one of the great flukes.

The teams they beat, on average, were the same quality as a 6-10 squad.

17yearsandcounting

Reaction score
2008 season.

Beat the 2 win Chiefs
Beat the 9 win Jets
Beat the 7 win 49ers
Lost to 8 win Chargers
Beat the 8 win Broncos
Beat the 2 win Rams
Lost to the 12 win Colts
Beat the 7 win Bills
Lost to the 9 win Jets
Beat the 11 win Dolphins
Beat the 4 win Seahawks
Beat the 5 win Raiders
Beat the 9 win Cardinals
Beat the 7 win Bills

Garrett has beaten 4 teams with a winning record in his career. Spare me this revisionist bullcrap.

Insomniac

Reaction score

1. Its Cleveland.

A couple factors come into play here.
Belichick in Cleveland
took over a team that went 3-13 and was outscored by 234 points
in his 1st year the Browns went 6-10 and were outscored by 5 points.
In the next 2 seasons his team went 7-9 and was outscored by 3 points in both seasons
in the 4th season the Browns went 11-5 and outscored their opponents by 136 points.
in the 5th season the team was 4-4 before it was found out the team was leaving town at the end of the season and finished 1-7.

I think it was harder to turn a team around then than it is now. He didn't do a great job in Cleveland but he looked like he was it building up until the team was leaving town.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Learning on the job in Cleveland is much different than learning on the job with the Dallas Cowboys. There are just some coaching positons that SHOULD have an experienced, successful, respected head coach.
Head coach of the Cowboys is one of those positions.

Exactly............when the hell did we become the farm team for coaches?

We are wasting the careers of Romo, Witten, Ware, ect.............because our head coach has to learn on the job......................what the hell?

Go learn on the job in freaking Tennessee, not in Dallas.

Common Sense

Reaction score
2008 season.

Beat the 2 win Chiefs
Beat the 9 win Jets
Beat the 7 win 49ers
Lost to 8 win Chargers
Beat the 8 win Broncos
Beat the 2 win Rams
Lost to the 12 win Colts
Beat the 7 win Bills
Lost to the 9 win Jets
Beat the 11 win Dolphins
Beat the 4 win Seahawks
Beat the 5 win Raiders
Beat the 9 win Cardinals
Beat the 7 win Bills

Dude, will you just stop already? There are NO PARALLELS to Garrett's situation here. Move along, nothing to see here.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Which of those teams had the offensive and defensive line catastrophes that we've had over the past 3-4 years?

Those teams were simply more talented. Winning with Matt Cassell only proves that.

IF Bill is this genius coach who wins no matter his talent then he should have won in Cleveland.

This is a player's league. Coaches are the scapegoats.

So Wade gets kicked out the door 6 months after winning our only playoff game since the ice age, but all of a sudden it is a player's league and Garrett is just a scapegoat.

Wade says "what the hell".

dupree89

Reaction score
So Wade gets kicked out the door 6 months after winning our only playoff game since the ice age, but all of a sudden it is a player's league and Garrett is just a scapegoat.

Wade says "what the hell".

dont worry pal. Couple a more seasons with no playoffs and then Garrett will get the boot. He'll move on to being the offensive coordinator in Cincy or Jacksonville and we wont ever hear about him again.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
dont worry pal. Couple a more seasons with no playoffs and then Garrett will get the boot. He'll move on to being the offensive coordinator in Cincy or Jacksonville and we wont ever hear about him again.

A couple more seasons?

I hope you are joking.........................I dont think I could stand to watch Opie stand on the sideline and clap all game while we are getting curb stomped by every team with a winning record for a couple more seasons.

17yearsandcounting

Reaction score

Cinci is a decent football team and offensive coordinator might be a lofty dream after the way his offense has fallen apart.

dupree89

Reaction score
A couple more seasons?

I hope you are joking.........................I dont think I could stand to watch Opie stand on the sideline and clap all game while we are getting curb stomped by every team with a winning record for a couple more seasons.

LOL You kill me. Very entertaining stuff you provide, young man.

koolaid

Drink Me
Reaction score
2008 season.

Beat the 2 win Chiefs
Beat the 9 win Jets
Beat the 7 win 49ers
Lost to 8 win Chargers
Beat the 8 win Broncos
Beat the 2 win Rams
Lost to the 12 win Colts
Beat the 7 win Bills
Lost to the 9 win Jets
Beat the 11 win Dolphins
Beat the 4 win Seahawks
Beat the 5 win Raiders
Beat the 9 win Cardinals
Beat the 7 win Bills

That Is a fair point. Hardly any quality wins there. I still think the guy can coach though :).
Garrett has had some rough moments as our coach but I do like some of the things he has done.
1. I do believe in the RKG philosophy. I think Green Bay is a good example of this working.
2. Personally accountability is the right way to coach IMO. If a guy messes up he should spend some time on the bench and someone else should get a shot.
3. We usually win games against inferior opponents.

that said, if Garrett could learn anything from belichick it would be playing aggressively to win. It seems too often we play passively and don't try to attack the other team or do anything unconventional with Dez or Harris..

dupree89

Reaction score
Thanks..............I will be here all week..................tips accepted...........LOL

Here is what I wanna know. Lets skip the NYG game for a moment. If somehow we lose 24-21 to Oakland, will you be here Thanksgiving night to be the voice of reason?

dupree89

Reaction score
I think Belichick is the best coach in the NFL.

I like Belichick because he seems to have a different game plan for each and every opponent. Not all coaches seem to do that. ;-) Sometimes Brady better be ready to fling it 55 times and then other games they try to establish the run and throw just on obvious passing downs. For most of this season, he operated with undrafted free agent WRs, no pass catching TE until Gronk got in shape, and journeymen RBs. He is also somewhat "old school" in that he will use a LB in the backfield as an extra blocker, use a WR as a DB in dime packages. Stuff like that.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
I like Belichick because he seems to have a different game plan for each and every opponent. Not all coaches seem to do that. ;-) Sometimes Brady better be ready to fling it 55 times and then other games they try to establish the run and throw just on obvious passing downs. For most of this season, he operated with undrafted free agent WRs, no pass catching TE until Gronk got in shape, and journeymen RBs. He is also somewhat "old school" in that he will use a LB in the backfield as an extra blocker, use a WR as a DB in dime packages. Stuff like that.

He is very football smart. He is certainly not personable. Or a sharp dresser. :)

visionary

Reaction score
2008 season.

Beat the 2 win Chiefs
Beat the 9 win Jets
Beat the 7 win 49ers
Lost to 8 win Chargers
Beat the 8 win Broncos
Beat the 2 win Rams
Lost to the 12 win Colts
Beat the 7 win Bills
Lost to the 9 win Jets
Beat the 11 win Dolphins
Beat the 4 win Seahawks
Beat the 5 win Raiders
Beat the 9 win Cardinals
Beat the 7 win Bills

clap, clap, clap.... spit..... clap, clap, clap.... spit....

rinse and repeat