I’ll be shocked if Cowboys are better than 8-8

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
After looking at schedule and taking into account how rushed this whole thing is for a team with a brand new defensive system and way to communicate with the QB (McCarthy is the best QB coach there’s ever been here)

I just don’t see how the team is better than 8-8.

Week 1 - At Rams - they’ve lost a lot but they still have the boy wonder at HC and his schemes are not something I like a brand new defense having to face to open. LOSS

Week 2 - Falcons - Ryan and his trio of WRs return. There’s continuity at the OC spot and Ridley is poised to break out. Defensively they have to be better than last year - LOSS

Week 3 - At Seahawks - Russell Wilson and Pete Carroll. Did it on smoke and mirrors last year and should have some reinforcements this year - LOSS

Week 4 Browns - Also going through new system. Baker is a head case. Cowboys get first win of season - WIN

Week 5 - Giants - If it’s going to be a rough transition for Dallas, it will be that much tougher for Giants and Washington again - WIN

Week 6 - Cardinals - Not a believer in Kliff or Kyler. They’re doing a lot of retooling as well. - Another win comes here. WIN

Week 7 - At Washington - See the Giants - WIN

Week 8 - At Philadelphia - If this was after the bye I’d feel better about going into the Linc. As it is I’ll take Pederson and the DL - LOSS

Week 9 - Steelers - If Big Ben stays healthy they’ll be dangerous. Tomlin is a great coach to have for this season - LOSS

BYE - this will be where the staff can make better adjustments and team can start playing more to their talent level

Week 11 - At Vikings - Even without crowds there will still be Viking horn and a long travel trip after 2 weeks of not having to worry about COVID. Minn proved they were a different team going into NO last year and Zimm got the extension. I have Vikings in NFC Champ this year - LOSS

Week 12 - Washington - WIN

Week 13 - At Baltimore - I think it will be between Baltimore and Pitt to battle the Chiefs for the AFC Champ spot - LOSS

Week 14 - At Cinci - Team should start playing to their talent level. This will be a must win to have a chance at the playoffs. - WIN

Week 15 - SF - Shanahan has his offense rolling. They’ll be hitting on all cylinders this year and lucky that they get Dallas in a fluke year. In a normal year this may be a preview of the NFC Champ - LOSS

Week 16 - Philadelphia - Team avenges the earlier loss to Philly in an attempt to win out and get a wild card

Week 17 - At NYG - Giants have mailed it in by this point - WIN

Obviously we don’t know what injuries will happen or who will miss due to COVID. I think the team looks a lot better after the bye and in a normal year I’d have them beating Atlanta and either the Steelers or 49ers at home.

Now if they delay the season 3 weeks to allow for appropriate conditioning and practice it’s a whole new season. But this truncated rush job is not good for the team this year.

I am leaning to 9-7 and another round of medium talent in the draft.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So is it coaching or players causing them not to meet your expectations?

Well, after the big coaching upgrade, it has to be the players, right?

Which is weird, after the great draft and the big steps forward we took putting the roster together in free agency.

TWOK11

Reaction score
New York x2
Washington x2
Philly x2
Cincy
Minnesota

That’s a bunch of bad teams

Throw in Arizona and Cleveland at home, and we’re ok

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Well, after the big coaching upgrade, it has to be the players, right?

Which is weird, after the great draft and the big steps forward we took putting the roster together in free agency.
But how great is the roster without 2 of its LBs, 2 starting OTs, starting CB and nickel CB, DEs learning new technique on the fly and DLaw is hurt. Starting TE is out and Schultz has been much better than expected but not Jarwin level explosive.

There’s more to the team than a QB and 3 WRs

Hadenough

Reaction score
New York x2
Washington x2
Philly x2
Cincy
Minnesota

That’s a bunch of bad teams

Throw in Arizona and Cleveland at home, and we’re ok
Arizona looks like they could compete for the NFC west division. Cleveland isnt a world beater but they are looking like a tough and gritty team. I dont trust the Cowboys enough to bet they would beat either of those teams.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Arizona looks like they could compete for the NFC west division. Cleveland isnt a world beater but they are looking like a tough and gritty team. I dont trust the Cowboys enough to bet they would beat either of those teams.

agree.

our defense is trash.

Rayman70

Reaction score
we are a 7 win team and thats being very generous. Its the defense and special teams that is the root of the issue. Wash Rinse, repeat, until fully demoralized. < Is the harsh reality. We arent even the best team in our crappy division. I still think a team like Washington will emerge. They have a defense and we don't. Now I do like what I have seen as of late, from our dline. That has been an improvement. Aldon Smith is a beast. Griffin is a nonfactor. Tristan Hill has been a surprise but made mental errors that cost us. We were never gonna win that Seattle game. Wilson and the refs saw fit that we wouldnt. We did all we could. We are limited badly on defense. The entire secondary is trash.

Rayman70

Reaction score
let me say this, I think teams are still feeling their way around as if its preseason. We are one of them.There is little to no defense around the league. Its been like Arena league stuff.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
If I was JJ I would sell this team, split the money with the family and enjoy what life he has left. There is nothing and I mean Nothing he can do to turn this train wreck around. There's maybe three players on this team that could start on above average teams in the NFL ( A Smith, Martin, Collins). The rest of these players are middle of the road to wannabe NFLers and it shows week in and week out. I'm personally tired of watching over hyped/paid players going out and making the same mistakes on a weekly basis. It's time for another JJ to come in like it was 1989 all over again and blow this thing out of the water. The Cowboys play in the weakest division in the NFL and so what if they finish 8-8 or 9-7 and win their division, BIG FRICK'in DEAL! They're still going to get destroyed in the second rd for a couple of more years. Once the Giants get it together the Boys won't snuff the playoffs for years to come. Get a new owner, get rid of the over hyped and over paid by way of draft picks. There are teams out there that will give us middle round picks and there are tons of middle round studs out there. Do not under any circumstances sign Dak after this year! For some reason people think he's the guy and he not! All I read about it is his passing yards, no one mentions how he struggles against above average teams, why is that? Let him go get his big bucks from Miami or the Jets and we'll draft a great one in the 1st rd of the 2022 NFL Draft.

risco

Reaction score
I see us winning the next 6 to take us to 7-2 by the break.