I’ll be shocked if Cowboys are better than 8-8

Swagger

Reaction score
Anyone that thinks we are primed for a bad season is either a Garrett apologist or a Dak hater.
What's your definition of a bad season?

I see an 8-8 or 9-7 season with an outside chance of scraping in the play offs. Eagles win the division as whilst we have made upgrades the reality is that they won the division last season with a depleted roster for much of the time whilst we had very few key injuries. Further, they addressed their lack of a deep threat which kneecapped their offense for much of the season yet it was still enough to win the division. Their corners cannot be any worse than last season as well.

There is too much talent on the roster and still too many bad teams in the division for the team to do much worse than 8-8 regardless but we don't have a quarterback to win the crucial, tight games unfortunately.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
What's your definition of a bad season?

I see an 8-8 or 9-7 season with an outside chance of scraping in the play offs. Eagles win the division as whilst we have made upgrades the reality is that they won the division last season with a depleted roster for much of the time whilst we had very few key injuries. Further, they addressed their lack of a deep threat which kneecapped their offense for much of the season yet it was still enough to win the division. Their corners cannot be any worse than last season as well.

There is too much talent on the roster and still too many bad teams in the division for the team to do much worse than 8-8 regardless but we don't have a quarterback to win the crucial, tight games unfortunately.

8-8 would be a complete disaster season for this team.

Offense is loaded, good coaching staff, REAL HC, defensive holes have at least been addressed to some degree.

If we have a relatively healthy season there is no reason why this team shouldn't make the playoffs and at least win a game.

But with the current health issues there may be lots of players missing multiple games. And then you never know with injuries.

With Garrett gone, no reason why this team shouldn't be reaching its potential.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, it will be easy to figure out why it's an 8-8 team. Last season, this team had the #1 O and #2 pass O and was 8-8. That's how it used to look. You could pick the team sitting home in January by their passing stats.

The D and ST were the problem last season and we have no idea if any of that has been fixed because the two best players on the 2019 D are gone.

A lot of the optimism is based on the coaching staff changes and have we not seen that movie before?

CoachD

Reaction score
I've been saying 10-6 or 11-5 for the past 10 years so I'm going to go with 8-8 as well this year because I believe the Cowboys defense will be worse than last year and it was pretty bad last year to say the least and hopefully I'll be wrong as they'll go 10-6 or 11-5 and make the playoffs. The one thing the Cowboys have going for them is there hasn't been a back to back division winner in the NFC East in like 10 plus years so the Eagles won't be hosting a playoff game in the first round at least.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
if they actually play 16 games without losing star players to quarantine, they will in 11 games, you really underestimate how awful garrett was.

Flamma

Reaction score
I've been saying 10-6 or 11-5 for the past 10 years so I'm going to go with 8-8 as well this year because I believe the Cowboys defense will be worse than last year and it was pretty bad last year to say the least and hopefully I'll be wrong as they'll go 10-6 or 11-5 and make the playoffs. The one thing the Cowboys have going for them is there hasn't been a back to back division winner in the NFC East in like 10 plus years so the Eagles won't be hosting a playoff game in the first round at least.

Whatever you may think about this defense, it's still not as bad as the crap we had starting around 2010 and ending at 2016 I believe. It has improved since that year.

The NFC East hasn't had a repeat winner since 2004. To me all that means is that it has been a competitive division, nothing more. The last four years not so much. It has flip flopped from Dallas to Philly. And unless Washington or NY get any better the chances are much better to get a repeat Div. champ when it's only between 2 teams.

jay94

Reaction score
Soft schedule locked in to the playoffs unless Dak gets hurt, book it.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
After looking at schedule and taking into account how rushed this whole thing is for a team with a brand new defensive system and way to communicate with the QB (McCarthy is the best QB coach there’s ever been here)

I just don’t see how the team is better than 8-8.

Week 1 - At Rams - they’ve lost a lot but they still have the boy wonder at HC and his schemes are not something I like a brand new defense having to face to open. LOSS

Week 2 - Falcons - Ryan and his trio of WRs return. There’s continuity at the OC spot and Ridley is poised to break out. Defensively they have to be better than last year - LOSS

Week 3 - At Seahawks - Russell Wilson and Pete Carroll. Did it on smoke and mirrors last year and should have some reinforcements this year - LOSS

Week 4 Browns - Also going through new system. Baker is a head case. Cowboys get first win of season - WIN

Week 5 - Giants - If it’s going to be a rough transition for Dallas, it will be that much tougher for Giants and Washington again - WIN

Week 6 - Cardinals - Not a believer in Kliff or Kyler. They’re doing a lot of retooling as well. - Another win comes here. WIN

Week 7 - At Washington - See the Giants - WIN

Week 8 - At Philadelphia - If this was after the bye I’d feel better about going into the Linc. As it is I’ll take Pederson and the DL - LOSS

Week 9 - Steelers - If Big Ben stays healthy they’ll be dangerous. Tomlin is a great coach to have for this season - LOSS

BYE - this will be where the staff can make better adjustments and team can start playing more to their talent level

Week 11 - At Vikings - Even without crowds there will still be Viking horn and a long travel trip after 2 weeks of not having to worry about COVID. Minn proved they were a different team going into NO last year and Zimm got the extension. I have Vikings in NFC Champ this year - LOSS

Week 12 - Washington - WIN

Week 13 - At Baltimore - I think it will be between Baltimore and Pitt to battle the Chiefs for the AFC Champ spot - LOSS

Week 14 - At Cinci - Team should start playing to their talent level. This will be a must win to have a chance at the playoffs. - WIN

Week 15 - SF - Shanahan has his offense rolling. They’ll be hitting on all cylinders this year and lucky that they get Dallas in a fluke year. In a normal year this may be a preview of the NFC Champ - LOSS

Week 16 - Philadelphia - Team avenges the earlier loss to Philly in an attempt to win out and get a wild card

Week 17 - At NYG - Giants have mailed it in by this point - WIN

Obviously we don’t know what injuries will happen or who will miss due to COVID. I think the team looks a lot better after the bye and in a normal year I’d have them beating Atlanta and either the Steelers or 49ers at home.

Now if they delay the season 3 weeks to allow for appropriate conditioning and practice it’s a whole new season. But this truncated rush job is not good for the team this year.

the crazy thing is that you will sit here and post garbage like this that you don’t even believe yourself, but if I call you out for a bet on this stupid post you will ignore it.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
You make it sound like a new system is detrimental.
Sending Garrett and Marinelli on their way instantly makes this team better because the instincts and philosophy change, and the conservative playcalling and unimaginative game planning has handicapped us for years.

Can't say it any better than that! Even if it took a couple games to start getting it together, they'll get it together and they won't blow 8 games trying.
MM is bringing real football back to Dallas! :dance:

Buzzbait

Reaction score
His wife is pregnant and he has been paid. you do the math.
I did the math, and from what we've heard from him so far he didn't sound very hungry. If you pay 'em enough money ahead of time,
it can become a disincentive.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Here's the key.......it's NOT a normal season. Between players testing positive weekly AND come opting out ( Pats already have 6 ) it's next to impossible to predict any team season will end.

Problem with those opting out is, they're making too much money and they'd like more time to party.

Last edited:

Buzzbait

Reaction score
atlantacowboy said:
Wait what???

How do you not understand that. Jason Garrett lost at least two games a season all by himself. We got three games that we can win just because of a new coach. I definitely see playoffs. If there’s even a complete season

What he didn't understand was......that post he was referring to was surprising coming from Idgit.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Whatever you may think about this defense, it's still not as bad as the crap we had starting around 2010 and ending at 2016 I believe. It has improved since that year.

The NFC East hasn't had a repeat winner since 2004. To me all that means is that it has been a competitive division, nothing more. The last four years not so much. It has flip flopped from Dallas to Philly. And unless Washington or NY get any better the chances are much better to get a repeat Div. champ when it's only between 2 teams.
I was shocked at 2016. I knew the colts game showed a weakness but other teams didn’t follow what they did so I assumed they did try to follow the map and our staff sewed up the holes and fixed it. Nope. The rams killled it. I can’t say I was shocked, we always got outcoached in the playoffs.

Westcoasthabsfan

Reaction score
10-6 at the worst....5-1 at the worst out of the chute.... (Seattle is still a tough place to win on the road)

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Well, it will be easy to figure out why it's an 8-8 team. Last season, this team had the #1 O and #2 pass O and was 8-8. That's how it used to look. You could pick the team sitting home in January by their passing stats.

The D and ST were the problem last season and we have no idea if any of that has been fixed because the two best players on the 2019 D are gone.

A lot of the optimism is based on the coaching staff changes and have we not seen that movie before?

I think the O will be ok. Jerry was smart keeping KMoore in charge of the O.

The D is the worry. We lost KRichard. Not good. Edwards and Tomsula are elite. The rest...not so good.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
The test will be when big Mike tries to interfere with the O. Especially the OL and the play book. Does KMoore run to Jerry, or silently make the changes?

fivetwos

Reaction score
I was shocked at 2016. I knew the colts game showed a weakness but other teams didn’t follow what they did so I assumed they did try to follow the map and our staff sewed up the holes and fixed it. Nope. The rams killled it. I can’t say I was shocked, we always got outcoached in the playoffs.
By the time you get to the divisional round, you cant rely on just showing up and doing what you do.

The other team has a staff of coaches trying to exploit your every weakness and hide their own, while Dallas didn't quite bother when it came to that.

It was nice when Dallas had beyond belief depth just before the cap was in place, but Garrett was trying to use pre cap theories in a post cap ERA.

He is what Jerry wanted though, so he got every benefit of every doubt. Finally the players checked out. At least Jerry was smart enough to see that.

His tears had nothing to do with Garrett himself, it was the realization that he had to take a step back and hire a real coach and at least make it look like he has some power.

glimmerman

Reaction score
By the time you get to the divisional round, you cant rely on just showing up and doing what you do.

The other team has a staff of coaches trying to exploit your every weakness and hide their own, while Dallas didn't quite bother when it came to that.

It was nice when Dallas had beyond belief depth just before the cap was in place, but Garrett was trying to use pre cap theories in a post cap ERA.

He is what Jerry wanted though, so he got every benefit of every doubt. Finally the players checked out. At least Jerry was smart enough to see that.

His tears had nothing to do with Garrett himself, it was the realization that he had to take a step back and hire a real coach and at least make it look like he has some power.
I think that he knew and it hit home in the locker room. Sick of looking at his talent being mad because the staff didn’t have them ready. They play what’s called. And your right, he likely looked around and saw the players had checked out. Knows he had to make the change. I believe MM will have more power than JG ever had. It will pay off for JJ. Just sit back and enjoy the talent you acquired. He IMO waited 5 years to long.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After looking at schedule and taking into account how rushed this whole thing is for a team with a brand new defensive system and way to communicate with the QB (McCarthy is the best QB coach there’s ever been here)

I just don’t see how the team is better than 8-8.

Week 1 - At Rams - they’ve lost a lot but they still have the boy wonder at HC and his schemes are not something I like a brand new defense having to face to open. LOSS

Week 2 - Falcons - Ryan and his trio of WRs return. There’s continuity at the OC spot and Ridley is poised to break out. Defensively they have to be better than last year - LOSS

Week 3 - At Seahawks - Russell Wilson and Pete Carroll. Did it on smoke and mirrors last year and should have some reinforcements this year - LOSS

Week 4 Browns - Also going through new system. Baker is a head case. Cowboys get first win of season - WIN

Week 5 - Giants - If it’s going to be a rough transition for Dallas, it will be that much tougher for Giants and Washington again - WIN

Week 6 - Cardinals - Not a believer in Kliff or Kyler. They’re doing a lot of retooling as well. - Another win comes here. WIN

Week 7 - At Washington - See the Giants - WIN

Week 8 - At Philadelphia - If this was after the bye I’d feel better about going into the Linc. As it is I’ll take Pederson and the DL - LOSS

Week 9 - Steelers - If Big Ben stays healthy they’ll be dangerous. Tomlin is a great coach to have for this season - LOSS

BYE - this will be where the staff can make better adjustments and team can start playing more to their talent level

Week 11 - At Vikings - Even without crowds there will still be Viking horn and a long travel trip after 2 weeks of not having to worry about COVID. Minn proved they were a different team going into NO last year and Zimm got the extension. I have Vikings in NFC Champ this year - LOSS

Week 12 - Washington - WIN

Week 13 - At Baltimore - I think it will be between Baltimore and Pitt to battle the Chiefs for the AFC Champ spot - LOSS

Week 14 - At Cinci - Team should start playing to their talent level. This will be a must win to have a chance at the playoffs. - WIN

Week 15 - SF - Shanahan has his offense rolling. They’ll be hitting on all cylinders this year and lucky that they get Dallas in a fluke year. In a normal year this may be a preview of the NFC Champ - LOSS

Week 16 - Philadelphia - Team avenges the earlier loss to Philly in an attempt to win out and get a wild card

Week 17 - At NYG - Giants have mailed it in by this point - WIN

Obviously we don’t know what injuries will happen or who will miss due to COVID. I think the team looks a lot better after the bye and in a normal year I’d have them beating Atlanta and either the Steelers or 49ers at home.

Now if they delay the season 3 weeks to allow for appropriate conditioning and practice it’s a whole new season. But this truncated rush job is not good for the team this year.

It seems to me that there's a ton of sceptisism regarding our Cowboys, but unwarranted faith everywhere else.

Week 1 for instance. We thumped the Rams last year and since then we've improved and they've gotten considerably worse. I'm considering that an early win.

Week 2 - what "WR trio" are you referring to?

Week 8 - we'll see about that one. We split with the Eagles last year, even hamstrung by the coaching. I like our chances even better this year.

Week 9 - the Steelers and Ben haven't been the same since Brown left. They have a lot to prove.

Week 11 - no mention of all of the player losses the Vikings have suffered?

Week 16 - is that a WIN? It doesn't say.

I say that the Cowboys are a 10 win team as of today. With a capable coaching staff, teams should fear US, not the other way around.