I’m fine with Garrett coming back, but next year needs to be the year

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Totally disagree. Rams have more talent at QB, receiving Corp overall and DL. Sure they have greater coaching but coaching Jerry’s not going to allow here.

That might be how it works in your mind creating this narrative and if it’s how it works in the NFL then I’m going to call it out. Because a Super or Bust mentality is totally absurd measurement of success.

For some reason we have Cowboy fans that believe Jerry after two disappointing decades is going to have some kind of an Absolution giving up control and bring in a proven or up an coming HC and let him run it? Unbelievable!!

But we have much more talent at the OL, even with the injuries we have now, we are much better then they are there. They have a QB who is a much better thrower but watch that kid play after he's been hit a few times and then tell me who is better. It's like night and day when that happens. Their DL is better but our LBs and secondary are much better then theirs is. They are not much more talented then we are. They picked different areas, from which to spend their money and it worked out for them but in reality, they should be sitting home right now and figuring out how they are going to fix their cap. The Rams are the perfect example of what I am talking about. They over spent and will pay a price for it in the coming years. They really should be a prime example but crappy officiating or the NFL itself prevented that. It is what it is but they are not heads and shoulders better then we are, talent wise. They are a better team, for sure but it's coaching that separates us, not talent.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Every meaningful contributor except Beasley that we want back will be (Lawrence isn’t going anywhere).

It’s our one year of true cap flexibility after with Romo’s money off the books and just before we’ll be tied up with new contracts for a bunch of young guys.

We’ll have (supposedly) young and up and coming offensive and defensive coordinators.

It should overall be his most talented team as a HC and by far his best defense.

2/3 divisional opponents are about to enter a long QB wilderness and the third is about to suffer the consequences of their “win now” philosophy that has two-thirds of their cap tied up in 14 players most over the age of 29.

There’s really no excuse to not have our best team under Garrett and frankly anything les than a SB appearance will be at least a slight disappointment.

Look it will only be year 10 of the process. When the process starts to kick in it will be wonderful.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Do you even realize how absurd this statement is? Show me where I said it has to be next year. If you can do that, then you can continue to put words in my mouth but let me just save us all some time, I never said that. You said that. However, we are in the window and we need to win soon. Some good teams don't ever win and that's how it goes. One of the greatest teams I've ever watched play was Buffalo in the 90s and they never won. Sometimes that's just how it works but that doesn't mean that the premise of win now is wrong. It's now or never, over these next few seasons for this team IMO. This team won't be together for more then 3 more seasons IMO.
That’s certainly how your comment came off. If I misinterpreted then I apologize but that’s the overall narrative or message many are expressing here.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
But we have much more talent at the OL, even with the injuries we have now, we are much better then they are there. They have a QB who is a much better thrower but watch that kid play after he's been hit a few times and then tell me who is better. It's like night and day when that happens. Their DL is better but our LBs and secondary are much better then theirs is. They are not much more talented then we are. They picked different areas, from which to spend their money and it worked out for them but in reality, they should be sitting home right now and figuring out how they are going to fix their cap. The Rams are the perfect example of what I am talking about. They over spent and will pay a price for it in the coming years. They really should be a prime example but crappy officiating or the NFL itself prevented that. It is what it is but they are not heads and shoulders better then we are, talent wise. They are a better team, for sure but it's coaching that separates us, not talent.
That’s a subjective opinion you’re building your theory on not actual facts. You’re certainly entitled to express as such but not many besides some Cowboy fans here have I heard over the course of 2018 season the Cowboys were a more talented team than the Rams..

I would agree they have a better coaching staff , front office and ownership. Do you think Jerry would allow someone like him coming in here taking all the credit?

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
So, next year regardless whether we have the best team in the NFC we must reach the Super Bowl? Do we even realize how absurd this is?
We lost by one possession to the best team in the nfc at their place. I don’t think it’s absurd to think we can be the best team in the NFC And or the NFL.

dckid

Reaction score
Every meaningful contributor except Beasley that we want back will be (Lawrence isn’t going anywhere).

It’s our one year of true cap flexibility after with Romo’s money off the books and just before we’ll be tied up with new contracts for a bunch of young guys.

We’ll have (supposedly) young and up and coming offensive and defensive coordinators.

It should overall be his most talented team as a HC and by far his best defense.

2/3 divisional opponents are about to enter a long QB wilderness and the third is about to suffer the consequences of their “win now” philosophy that has two-thirds of their cap tied up in 14 players most over the age of 29.

There’s really no excuse to not have our best team under Garrett and frankly anything les than a SB appearance will be at least a slight disappointment.
Sometimes you have to have a better process.. and not just look at the result.
The process the Cowboys took with the offseason was very bad, I would say terrible. We didn't even participate in Free Agency, the first week the owner was in the Bahamas.
Thought the offense was good enough, when even us fans knew we had no number 1 wr or TE. So during the year we fire our O line coach, trade a number 1 for Cooper who at the time even the Owner & FO were thinking towards next year, NOT expecting to win the division. So yes we finished 10-6 and won a playoff game. The results were good but it wasn't because followed a plan and expected to be successful, we kind of luck boxed our way into it. This is not how you build continuity & not how winning organizations run.
Cooper was a godsend.. I take every bad thing I said back. I was totally against that move but he is amazing and not one person thought he was this good.. Even the Raiders saw him half-a&&ing it, which is why they got rid of him.

So how do we move forward? We really are at an inflection point, I personally would really ask.. Can Jason Garrett take me to a SB.. I believe the answer is no. Based on that I would bring in a new coach. Full stop, end of discussion. Sometimes you have to swallow your pride and really make the decision that is best for the organization. Jerry of course wont do it.
If McVay was coaching us in the divisional round we win that game. That is all I need to know.
Other teams do this, JG has had plenty of time it just will not happen. He may be a goo motivator but he is not a difference maker. Head coaching matters in this league , don't fool yourself into thinking 500 coaches could take this team to SB.
I give credit to Jerry and the front office for doing a good job on the draft over the last several years... He has obviously built himself a fortune, the Cowboys are a cash cow, maybe winning a SB doesn't really help the value of the team, its already worth 5 billion. So I understand Jerry, its his team and his way. We are just the ones who live and die by it..

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
That’s certainly how your comment came off. If I misinterpreted then I apologize but that’s the overall narrative or message many are expressing here.

Can you blame them? They have waited 10 years to see us regain prominence and we have yet to even reach the NFC Championship Game, much less, win it. This coach has been given every opportunity and every tool he asked for. Still, we fail. At some point, you gotta give the fan base what they want and that's a championship. They pay for the tickets, they watch the games, they spend the money on the swag, they are the ones who create the revenue streams that everybody in the NFL gets paid on. You can't really blame them for wanting more IMO. This Coach has been given plenty of time to show results and he has not really done that. In fact, this last game clearly shows that he is the same Coach he was 5 years ago. Unprepared and unable to adjust to game situations. Talent was there to win but it didn't happen and I can't even say that this was on the players. I watched a team, over the course of four quarters, basically continue to do the same things that didn't work in the first quarter. That's not on the players, that's on the coaching IMO.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
That’s a subjective opinion you’re building your theory on not actual facts. You’re certainly entitled to express as such but not many besides some Cowboy fans here have I heard over the course of 2018 season the Cowboys were a more talented team than the Rams..

I would agree they have a better coaching staff , front office and ownership. Do you think Jerry would allow someone like him coming in here taking all the credit?

OK, what facts do you present that refute what I have just stated?

CPanther95

Reaction score
We lost by one possession to the best team in the nfc at their place. I don’t think it’s absurd to think we can be the best team in the NFC And or the NFL.

You better hope Jerry doesn't view this team as a team that was just one possession from beating the Rams.

That's about as accurate as saying that Elmer Fudd was just one trigger pull away from getting a leg up on Bugs Bunny.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Next year is just another wasted year.

Garrett hasn't accidentally gone 10 years and had the lack of playoff success he has had.

It's what he is.

So we will have to sit back and watch him waste another year of young Zeke and Dak on a rookie deal and hope we get it right with the next coaching hire.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

I agree with ABQ on his analysis.

They just have a big advantage in the coaching department.

I am very critical of this team but thinking the Rams are just way better then us is ridiculous.

They beat us by rushing for 270 yards. That shouldn't happen even if they are way better then we are.

JayFord

Reaction score
This is the year?

Lol the year was 2011 after then I wouldve evaluated and released him

As a matter of fact when wade was fired Garrett should’ve went right behind him

skinsscalper

Reaction score
You better hope Jerry doesn't view this team as a team that was just one possession from beating the Rams.

That's about as accurate as saying that Elmer Fudd was just one trigger pull away from getting a leg up on Bugs Bunny.
I think his recent comments about being far from a Super Bowl would refute such a thought. Jerry saw the way his team was man handled and realized we're not close yet. The question moving forward is: What is he going to do about it?

CPanther95

Reaction score
I think his recent comments about being far from a Super Bowl would refute such a thought. Jerry saw the way his team was man handled and realized we're not close yet. The question moving forward is: What is he going to do about it?

That was the headline, but not really what he said.

He was simply talking about time. There's a lot of time between the Senior Bowl and next year's SB.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Can you blame them? They have waited 10 years to see us regain prominence and we have yet to even reach the NFC Championship Game, much less, win it. This coach has been given every opportunity and every tool he asked for. Still, we fail. At some point, you gotta give the fan base what they want and that's a championship. They pay for the tickets, they watch the games, they spend the money on the swag, they are the ones who create the revenue streams that everybody in the NFL gets paid on. You can't really blame them for wanting more IMO. This Coach has been given plenty of time to show results and he has not really done that. In fact, this last game clearly shows that he is the same Coach he was 5 years ago. Unprepared and unable to adjust to game situations. Talent was there to win but it didn't happen and I can't even say that this was on the players. I watched a team, over the course of four quarters, basically continue to do the same things that didn't work in the first quarter. That's not on the players, that's on the coaching IMO.
I believe it’s silly to expect this franchise to win a championship within the parameters Jerry allows.

The model Jerry has set this era is not a recipe on how winning championships. The sooner fans come to accept the sooner they can hold Jerry more accountable.

This false hope Jerry’s going to bring in and let some HC receive more credit than him after all of these years is totally unfounded with no evidence to support.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree with ABQ on his analysis.

They just have a big advantage in the coaching department.

I am very critical of this team but thinking the Rams are just way better then us is ridiculous.

They beat us by rushing for 270 yards. That shouldn't happen even if they are way better then we are.
They were better than us for the duration of the season. It doesn’t have to be “ way better” just better.

I don’t know of anyone besides some Cowboy fans who actually thought we were or are the better team.

Of course they have a better coaching staff and front office. That’s not advantage we often have the ability or luxury to overcome thanks to Jerry’s ways.

Our talent has to overcome like it did in the 11 games we won.

JustChip

Reaction score
Two words for me:

No extension

Absolutely. No extension this year and only next year if a year end review after the season determines it's warranted. And then, maybe only a 1 year extension. And I'm not a Garrett hater, I just don't think there's a reason to lock yourself in.

817Gill

Reaction score
Jason will not be extended this offseason and he has the reigns of the offense. We’ve seen many changes in how this front office handles its business since the early to mid-2000’s.

It seems to me that the organization has created a situation for Garrett in which he needs to coach for his job next year. Our success or unsuccess will be 100% on Garrett. Unless Prescott has a disastrous year, the team will bet on their young QB over JG.

Next year will indeed be the make it or break it year. If Garrett is our HC in 2020, it’s because we went to or won the NFCCG/Super Bowl.