I’ve lost interest in the NFL and the Cowboys

superonyx

Reaction score
Same with me. I used to call out from work on Monday when I was in my 20s. A loss ruined my week. I think it has to do with expectations. We've grown accustomed to disappointment. I was able to shed the loss to Green Bay in 2016 much better than I did the playoff loss in 2007. But right now? I come to expect 8-8 so a loss doesn't have much impact on me.
I have a group of guys reporting to me in the New England area. They are all Pats fans. They seem to be like I used to be in the 90's. I expected a dominating win every week. I lost the thrill of the victory because I was expecting so much that a 3 point win felt like a loss.

The reality of pro sports is that this is a losing deal for almost everyone. Only 1 team out of 32 will have a happy fanbase at the end of the year. Do you think the Giants fans are still content that they won the SB with Eli several years ago? I live in Eagles country and these fans are miserable. They are in "Fire Everyone" mode. They don't care that they just won a SB. Its just the nature of sports. So not getting upset is the only healthy way to be engaged long term.

I know guys whos lives would be better if they stop watching all sports completely. You know the types. The yell at the tv, dog, kids, and wife types.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree.

I am willing to give Mike more time. He had almost no off season. It’s going to take time.

It’s reasonable to assume that all new coaches with no off season is going to cause some growing pains.

That's how I'm trying to look at things as well.

ArtClink

Reaction score
And everyone keeps spending $ on Cowboys gear and stuff which is what the Jones boys want. The old saying is a fool and his money are soon parted. No more for this fool.

Once my Demarcus Ware jersey wore out, I directed all my sports dollars elsewhere.

superonyx

Reaction score
And everyone keeps spending $ on Cowboys gear and stuff which is what the Jones boys want. The old saying is a fool and his money are soon parted. No more for this fool.
I'm not telling anyone to spend their money on anything. But don't tie spending money to the team having some obligation to winning all the time. Spend money if it makes you feel good with what you bought. If you like wearing the cowboys gear then why deprive yourself of that enjoyment.

This is just entertainment. Something to focus on instead of work, family stress, or the fact that we are all 1 day closer to death each morning.

Swanny

Reaction score
I tried to get into it yesterday but just couldn’t do it. Then last night I watched the entire game and at the end just felt like ...... who cares? I used to get upset after losses. Not anymore. Anyone else feeling the same way?
I've lost my deep passion a few years ago. What the NFL calls football just isn't football. It's a different version of football that promotes big offense, casual fans and fantasy football players to get more involved. Then add in all the other stuff I just can't get into the nfl product like I used to. I am still addicted to cowboys news though. It's just hard to watch.

I have become a big NHL fan the past few years. After watching hockey I just don't understand how the nfl is so huge in America. The amount I f commercial breaks is unbelievable. It makes it unwatchable. I truly understand why the rest of the world can't get into the nfl or football like America has. There is so much down time and far too many commercials. I always complained about it but it never truly bothered me until I became a NHL fan.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That's how I'm trying to look at things as well.
Yeah and I mean we started off 3-0....won our Super Bowl the first 3 weeks of the season. Its a marathon. Gonna give Mike the benefit of the doubt. I think we are so use to Garrett that we expect for this ride to get worse but it its a new staff and a much better head coach. He's earned the right to get us out of this.

ArtClink

Reaction score
I have a group of guys reporting to me in the New England area. They are all Pats fans. They seem to be like I used to be in the 90's. I expected a dominating win every week. I lost the thrill of the victory because I was expecting so much that a 3 point win felt like a loss.

The reality of pro sports is that this is a losing deal for almost everyone. Only 1 team out of 32 will have a happy fanbase at the end of the year. Do you think the Giants fans are still content that they won the SB with Eli several years ago? I live in Eagles country and these fans are miserable. They are in "Fire Everyone" mode. They don't care that they just won a SB. Its just the nature of sports. So not getting upset is the only healthy way to be engaged long term.

I know guys whos lives would be better if they stop watching all sports completely. You know the types. The yell at the tv, dog, kids, and wife types.

I get that but for Cowboys fans, 25 years w/o a trip to the NFC championship game is unimaginable. Fans get discouraged when ownership runs the team into the ground and never rights the ship. As you said, you can't win the championship every year, but come on 25 yrs puts us in the company of Washington & Detroit who are the only other NFC teams who have failed to play in an NFC championship game the past 25 yrs.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I enjoyed the hell out of yesterday.
As did I. Pissed we loss and yeah it was weird probably the first game you watch but soon as the 1st quarter was over......I didn't even care the fans weren't there and I'm sure the ratings will show that most fans don't care either.

ArtClink

Reaction score
I'm not telling anyone to spend their money on anything. But don't tie spending money to the team having some obligation to winning all the time. Spend money if it makes you feel good with what you bought. If you like wearing the cowboys gear then why deprive yourself of that enjoyment.

This is just entertainment. Something to focus on instead of work, family stress, or the fact that we are all 1 day closer to death each morning.

Obligation to win all the time? 25 yrs w/o a div playoff win is kinda a long drought.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I get that but for Cowboys fans, 25 years w/o a trip to the NFC championship game is unimaginable. Fans get discouraged when ownership runs the team into the ground and never rights the ship. As you said, you can't win the championship every year, but come on 25 yrs puts us in the company of Washington & Detroit who are the only other NFC teams who have failed to play in an NFC championship game the past 25 yrs.
I get that feeling but I can't knock them for their approach this offseason. I hate what they did with the Dak situation but overall I thought they did a good of getting things back to normal here by hiring McCarthy.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Obligation to win all the time? 25 yrs w/o a div playoff win is kinda a long drought.
You guys say that as if they've been good 25 years...they have sucked for the majority of it and we didn't realistically have a shot at doing anything until about 2014.....sprinkle in 2007 but with Wade as head coach......I don't think it was ever going to happen.

superonyx

Reaction score
You are right...... But the 25 year number is just what people use to justify their misery.

Do you think you would feel any better today if we won a superbowl 12 years ago but stunk every since?

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Take it easy it is just a game of sport I never ever took entertainment so seriously..
as for the Cowboys the glory days of the past are over welcome to the new reality
we have the wrong coach and the wrong quarterback with stubborn management
obladi oblada life goes on........

brickman

Reaction score
I understand how you feel. Im a fan for 50yrs Im starting to feel the same way. For me its a few things. I dont want to get suspended from here but one of them is at the start of games. Really tired of that. The second is that the game has changed so much over the years with penalties and the extra protection to QBs the refs have to much outcome in games. Than you have the same story with us year in and year out. Garrett being here 10 yrs when anyone could see he wasn't the guy and wasting years of talent of not even sniffing a Championship game gets old after awhile. Look at the Company we are in. I believe Dalls, Detroit and Cleveland are the only teams in the past 25 yrs to not reach a Championship game. I still watch and always will but I do understand what your saying.
Dont mind these other posters that give back idiot answers, remember some of these guys are just young kids and others are tough guy keyboarders who have no voice anywhere else except places like this. The world has become a different place on many ends. Football is a great escape from life for 3 hours but with all thats going on in the world its not unusual to feel how you do.
Keep your head up and good luck my Cowboy fan brother.

Thank you! Right back at ya’.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It looked like the same ole Cowboys which in itself sucked and then you have all the other stuff going on and it just makes for bad TV.

I'm guessing their ratings are going to plummet. Fantasy Football is probably their biggest thing they got going to keep fans attention.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I tried to get into it yesterday but just couldn’t do it. Then last night I watched the entire game and at the end just felt like ...... who cares? I used to get upset after losses. Not anymore. Anyone else feeling the same way?

well get off this forum, all Fan pages and other places you visit that reminds you of the DC,...

weak point when you are here on a DC forum talking Cowboys..

ArtClink

Reaction score
You guys say that as if they've been good 25 years...they have sucked for the majority of it and we didn't realistically have a shot at doing anything until about 2014.....sprinkle in 2007 but with Wade as head coach......I don't think it was ever going to happen.

Preach it brother. Agreed.

ArtClink

Reaction score
You are right...... But the 25 year number is just what people use to justify their misery.

Do you think you would feel any better today if we won a superbowl 12 years ago but stunk every since?

The 25 yr number is not open for interpretation. It is what it is and is not subjective. "Justify" is used with subjective opinions, not cold hard facts. And I would rather be terrible but at least win it all every 12 years years. We have all lived the alternative...

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The greed complaint is nearly 30-years old. There is a more plausible reason why a man entrenches himself as President and General Manager for thirty freaking years.

The answer lies between his ears. It is all good though. Just blame his stuck-on-neutral-denial on true administrative creativity in running an NFL franchise on fans expressing their fandom of a team born decades before Jones bought it. Cool.