I ain't giving up on Trey Lance

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I keep hearing that Trey Lance would be better if he got more playing time. The fact is, if he were any good he would be getting more playing time. The guy simply isn't any good. This is his 4th year in the NFL and he still has accuracy issues on 10 and 15 yard passes. He still processes information slowly and throws late on plays. He hasn't been good in practice and he hasn't been good in any of the preseason games so I am not sure what else we need to see from the guy. He can't even beat out Cooper Rush and some of you guys think he is the solution to replacing Dak.. If Dak is not retained in 2025 then we need to look outside the organization and current roster for our next starting QB. Rush's ceiling is a back up QB and I am not sure Lance is really anything more than a 3rd string QB or practice squad QB at this point. The only use I see for him at this point is putting him in the game every once in a while as a gadget player where he can run the ball from the QB position.
I stopped reading after the 4 year excuse mantra from the dislikers. How can he get more playing time with Dak in front of him for the regular season.
Unless Dak gets injured or he just stinks it up, which he won't (until the playoffs).

kskboys

Reaction score
Three PS not enough to judge him. I saw things I really liked and obviously the picks were horrible . I’ve seen worst start games in the NFL you want names . Mitch Trubisky Zach Wilson off the top of my head.

Dak Allows Lance to improve with coaching practice reps in one of the finest facilities in sports at the Star and not be thrown out there yet . At some point I don’t for what team or when he has to do it in regular season . Personally I think he can .
Fun Fact: Trubisky holds the NFL record for having 1,500+ career passing attempts w/o throwing a pick 6. He has never thrown one.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Seemingly, throwing five interceptions wasn't the best route for Lance to take in putting his best foot forward.
Evidently, Jerry forgave him for that, though -- was retaining him truly the best way to serve his cause?:huh:

Looks like Trey Lance remains our #3 backup for the Cowboys, after all is said and done. We're a kind team.

Last edited:

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I’m still holding out hope that this guy is the future of Dallas. Sure, he didn’t play great in the preseason but that doesn’t mean much to me and he still feels like such an enigma. What I’d do is keep him as our backup and see if Dak can handle the pressure!! Keeping Lance on the sidelines doesn’t just make him better. It makes Dak be forced to play better. All I ask is don’t give up on Lance. Dak has gotten how much seasons and excuses? Don’t toss Lance away just yet!!
He did play great in the preseason.

The kid is fire.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I’m still holding out hope that this guy is the future of Dallas. Sure, he didn’t play great in the preseason but that doesn’t mean much to me and he still feels like such an enigma. What I’d do is keep him as our backup and see if Dak can handle the pressure!! Keeping Lance on the sidelines doesn’t just make him better. It makes Dak be forced to play better. All I ask is don’t give up on Lance. Dak has gotten how much seasons and excuses? Don’t toss Lance away just yet!!
good luck with that. 4th year player who is still struggling with simple stuff...he just needs more playing time people scream and then there is all these other QBs, that played, produced more and some who didn't have it and got dumped and some who are growing...yet here we are still making excuses for a player that should at best been a 7th round pick..he can run fast...but this ain't the 100M dash in the olympics. who gives a flying you know what

johneric8

Reaction score
My take on lance is that at times in the pre season he did indeed show why he could be a weapon if he can put it all together. I would argue that he showed throws and runs that Dak couldn't even dream of a few times... Having said that, I'm all for Lance sticking on the roster and I think it's really smart to do just that... When it comes to Dak, I was a Dak lover but now I'm a bit off the train just based on his playoff performances, but I do have to say that I do believe we can win a superbowl with Dak but the entire team has to play well... Lets be honest, as insignificant as Dak has been in the playoffs, the entire team, culture, defense has been horrendous..

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Seemingly, throwing five interceptions wasn't the best route for Lance to take in putting his best foot forward.
Obviously, Jerry forgave him for that, though -- was retaining him truly the only way to serve his cause? :huh:

Looks like Trey Lance remains our #3 backup for the Cowboys, after all is said and done. We're a kind team!
Lance has played in 10 preseason games.

8 TDs 7 Ints

He isn’t a rookie.

I thought Dallas might cut/resign Rush, who doesnt have the same athleticism as Lance.

But clearly Dallas didn’t want to take a chance on losing Rush.

Lance can also learn from Rush this season. Rush is UFA in March.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Putting money on it....He's your starter in 2025. Watch Dak come out and lay an egg to start the year....just like the playoffs...confidence shot...Then what? I'm rolling with the kid that led the entire league in passing and rushing in the preseason to save my job...That's McCarthy's mindset....

:popcorn:
starter in 2025 means nothing. so what? there is a ton of garbage in the league that are starters because they just don't have a QB....starter in 2025 means we are tanking

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Honestly until Dak signs an extension there is no reason to make Lance an afterthought. If Dak were to move on I would have to think that Lance is going to be 1st in line to get a shot at that spot next year, probably in competition with a Garner Minshew type of veteran of a rookie.

kskboys

Reaction score
My take on lance is that at times in the pre season he did indeed show why he could be a weapon if he can put it all together. I would argue that he showed throws and runs that Dak couldn't even dream of a few times... Having said that, I'm all for Lance sticking on the roster and I think it's really smart to do just that... When it comes to Dak, I was a Dak lover but now I'm a bit off the train just based on his playoff performances, but I do have to say that I do believe we can win a superbowl with Dak but the entire team has to play well... Lets be honest, as insignificant as Dak has been in the playoffs, the entire team, culture, defense has been horrendous..
And to play well you need talent. And to acquire talent you need resources. And if you give Dak a huge pile of the available resources, you won't be able to acquire the talent you need to play well. Huge circle.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Honestly until Dak signs an extension there is no reason to make Lance an afterthought. If Dak were to move on I would have to think that Lance is going to be 1st in line to get a shot at that spot next year, probably in competition with a Garner Minshew type of veteran of a rookie.
Lance isn’t leaving.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He actually put up big numbers the last PS game, saw stats of 350 yds, add the rush yards.....nobody had done since like 2017.

But off course offset by the 5 piks
We can be like Dakstans....1 was a tip ball, 1 was a essentially a strip fumble, ....but no excuses here...

I do think teams are onto MM offense and can influence which side the Dallas QB chooses with pressure....and then get extra DB's to the correct side.
OMG OMG OMG

(me calling the city)
CFIH: Hello, can we have a parade set up this weekend?
City: Why?
CFIH: well, Lance had a 350 yard game in preseason. I think its worth a parade
City: ok, maybe a small parade, would that be ok?
CFIH: sure....
moments later
CFIH: aaahhh can we hold the parade, he had 5 interceptions and played against 7-11 future employees.
City: ahh, ok, that doesn't sound like a parade performance.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
And don’t hold your breath either!