I almost felt sorry for Garrett

links18

Reaction score
You mean like the throws downfield to Witten and Jarwin? You think those came from Garrett?

Besides, how do you know Moore didn't tailor a different game plan to this opponent? Or, how do you know Moore didn't call plays differently based on the opposing defense getting more pressure on the QB than in previous games? And how would your viewpoint be different if the running game was more successful? Does Moore call the runs where Zeke runs for 8-12 yards, and Garrett calls the runs that go for 1-2 yards?

The most likely thing is Moore was in charge of the game plan just as he had been the first 3 games, but the Saints played much better defense than we had faced the first 3 games, and we (Moore, Dak, the O-Line, Zeke …) didn't handle it as well.

I don't know any of that and neither do you. If you want certainty, you are in the wrong place. That game looked a lot like a Garrett/Linehan special and Linehan ain't here anymore. Moore may be the culprit, but he didn't pull that junk out of thin air.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I have to say I feel bad for him, Dallas wins and some fans act as if he has nothing to do with anything but 1st loss on the season it was all Garrett. That is a complete joke.
Teams can win games when their coaching is terrible, when their talent is that much better.

ksadler1

Reaction score
Regardless of which coach did what last night, we all knew that coaching would cost us AT LEAST one game this year. That's status quo for a Garrett lead team. Our kicker will also cost us AT LEAST one game this year. Here we sit, one of those games down and hopefully not many more to go. Did anyone here really think Garrett was going to out-coach Peyton when it really counted?...

GenoT

Reaction score
If its not the Carriage then its the Horses........its same old same old no matter who's calling the plays?
Answer that and you win a set of steak knifes and a years supply of TOSTITOS and Campbell's soup baby!!!
PAPPY... I often don’t agree with you, but this loss was a perfect example of a Jason Garrett team.

Big and bold against obviously weak opponents; turtle-up and hope not to lose against marginally better opposition.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Teams can win games when their coaching is terrible, when their talent is that much better.

Sure and as I said I don't take away blame but this BS of picking and choosing. Garrett has nothing to do with wins? That is a load of BS by fans who want him gone as if they have a fricken say in any of this. If he and this team fails and he is fired fine, it goes with the job but this utter non sense of not giving credit for wins yet blame for losses is BS

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He wouldn't relieve him of his duties, just have some input as to the flow and pace of the game. Young coordinators get excited and nervous, a HC should pull the reigns and provide some guidance. That's all.
Back to your empathy for Garrett, do we know he has the authority to do that. After those first 3 games, I can only imagine the Joneses slapping each other on the back and telling themselves how smart they are to have promoted him and the pregame already had him as a HC next season. You would think that people that do that for a living would no better than to buy in after only 3 games and especially 3 games with 3 of the worst teams, the 2 worst for sure.

If Garrett had the authority, what does he gain by taking over or even getting involved vs letting his young inexperienced OC get a valuable lesson? Kellen the Young got his first lesson in "when it's not going according to plan and the guy across the field has a better plan". He didn't exactly fail, there were execution issues as well.

In college and the NFL, Moore had little experience with a street fight game, he has a little more experience now. He and Garrett should be meeting with their OL coach today to discuss what went wrong and how to fix it. But the bigger question is when a slugfest like that wears on, what happens to their OL nursing some booboo's? Big Smitty, Yosemite and Martin haven't had a game like that this season. Hell, they didn't have that in all 3 of those first games combined. You can bet the D coaches in GB are watching that film like hawks today.

kwcool619

Reaction score
Did you congratulate him for the offense scoring 30+ in each of the 1st 3 games? Most on here give him zero credit when things go right and 100% of the blame when it doesn't. Moore went away from the things that made the offense successful- this part is true. But we don't know why. Crowd noise have a role? The saints D line obliterated our OL. We had zero run game. Why didn't more call more passing plays or even attempt to use pollard as a quick way to beat the saints rush?

That is my question. Why not Pollard? Leaving him on the bench was not cool. But I guess the flow of the game did not warrant playing time. I dunno.

Reactions: BAT

ksadler1

Reaction score
Sure and as I said I don't take away blame but this BS of picking and choosing. Garrett has nothing to do with wins? That is a load of BS by fans who want him gone as if they have a fricken say in any of this. If he and this team fails and he is fired fine, it goes with the job but this utter non sense of not giving credit for wins yet blame for losses is BS

While I can't argue your point, Garrett has had how many years now to learn from his past mistakes? He's still learning on the fly. That game plan last night was horrible. The worst thing about it was that they stuck with it knowing it wasn't working. Brought back bad memories for many around here. Zeke was obviously not going to cut it so why not give Pollard some touches. He earned them, don't you think?

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Did you feel like the saints had more talent last night or their gameplan and coaching/playcalling was better?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is my question. Why not Pollard? Leaving him on the bench was not cool. But I guess the flow of the game did not warrant playing time. I dunno.
That was a slugfest and they needed the power, the OL was not opening the kind of holes that favors Pollard's talent. Elliott and Kamara are counting their bruises today. Man, they were slamming the runners.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know any of that and neither do you. If you want certainty, you are in the wrong place. That game looked a lot like a Garrett/Linehan special and Linehan ain't here anymore. Moore may be the culprit, but he didn't pull that junk out of thin air.
The difference is I didn't claim I knew it. The difference is I am recognizing there are multiple possibilities whereas you are saying there is only one. And the reality is, if there had been identical play calling, but the pass blocking was better and the running game was more effective nobody would have questioned this, but because those things didn't happen it is just a convenient reason to claim that they switched it up and let Garrett dictate the game plan and play calling. The other reality is, people were deluding themselves if they thought we were going to go through the season without Moore experiencing some bumps in the road.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
While I can't argue your point, Garrett has had how many years now to learn from his past mistakes? He's still learning on the fly. That game plan last night was horrible. The worst thing about it was that they stuck with it knowing it wasn't working. Brought back bad memories for many around here...

The blocking up front was horrible and if you are not winning the line of scrimmage there is not a lot of things that will work. It starts up front. As I said if this team fails and Garrett is fired so be it but I'm sorry I don't play the game of giving no credit when the team wins but put blame on the HC after a loss.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The difference is I didn't claim I knew it. The difference is I am recognizing there are multiple possibilities whereas you are saying there is only one. And the reality is, if there had been identical play calling, but the pass blocking was better and the running game was more effective nobody would have questioned this, but because those things didn't happen it is just a convenient reason to claim that they switched it up and let Garrett dictate the game plan and play calling. The other reality is, people were deluding themselves if they thought we were going to go through the season without Moore experiencing some bumps in the road.
THIS!!!!! Just another example of posters not considering the opposition and thinking he was already there.

Now he's been hit and facing another tough team on Sunday, we're not the only ones waiting to see how he responds, the team is as well. However, Elliott and Witten know there isn't a play in the book called fumble.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Did you feel like the saints had more talent last night or their gameplan and coaching/playcalling was better?

I felt the saints were winning the battle at the line of scrimmage and often without blitzing. As for their play calling, they did not do that much, they scored no TD and took a lot of sacks. In the end they did not turn the ball over except 1 times. and had good field position on several drives.

ksadler1

Reaction score
The blocking up front was horrible and if you are not winning the line of scrimmage there is not a lot of things that will work. It starts up front. As I said if this team fails and Garrett is fired so be it but I'm sorry I don't play the game of giving no credit when the team wins but put blame on the HC after a loss.

I agree that the blocking up front was terrible. So why keep running up the gut? Pollard is very fast at getting around the edge. We saw that last week. How many touches did he get last night? Zeke looked so slow last night and this offense/team needed a spark. Could Pollard have provided that, who knows, but why not at least try?