I am boycotting NFL for three games this season

Sydla

Reaction score
True.

I didn't know he admitted to it either. Is that accurate?

I honestly don't know all the details. Just that one doesn't fall under the same policy as the other.

Frankly, if the NFL is really serious about player behavior, they should be looking at punishing Ronald Darby who basically lied to investigators to cover for Winston.

ESisback

Reaction score
That will show them .........

Probably not much impact, if any, but if he can get 1,000 people to skip three games, it MIGHT wake a few of them up momentarily. The obscenely wealthy are super greedy and will KILL for every penny.

Last edited:

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
For all you guys who say I can't control what NFL does and it is just a weekend release from the important stuff etc.... - I do get it, but I can't help hearing that guy who drinks a case of beer every week say it's just beer, I drink it to relax, I can stop any time, meanwhile they never do...

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not to quibble but what Winston did is not really what Elliott was accused of.

Elliott fell under the domestic violence policy - 6 games. I am not sure what Winston did falls under "DV".
True. Both players dealt with different circumstances. However, both players actions (or accusations) fell under the league's single personal conduct policy. Elliott's punishment was specified according to the domestic violence allegations leveled against him. Winston's discipline was applied per the flexibility allotted to the commissioner for his lesser alleged offenses.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Probably not much impact, but if he can get 1,000 people to skip three games, it MIGHT wake them up momentarily. The obscenely wealthy are super greedy and will KILL for every penny.
I doubt the owners will blink if 1,000 fans skipped any number of games.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For all you guys who say I can't control what NFL does and it is just a weekend release from the important stuff etc.... - I do get it, but I can't help hearing that guy who drinks a case of beer every week say it's just beer, I drink it to relax, I can stop any time, meanwhile they never do...

That's not the point being made. Nobody is saying it's not important and I can stop anytime. The point is that it doesn't rise to a level beyond that would lead to activism or a willingness to give up our weekly release/entertainment. It's just not as critical to most people's lives that they would place that kind of priority on it when there are so many other more important things to worry about and be responsible for.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I honestly don't know all the details. Just that one doesn't fall under the same policy as the other.

Frankly, if the NFL is really serious about player behavior, they should be looking at punishing Ronald Darby who basically lied to investigators to cover for Winston.

I just wish the NFL would get out of the conduct business and let courts decide. If a player is found guilty of nothing then do not punish them because you think they did something.

Sydla

Reaction score
True. Both players dealt with different circumstances. However, both players actions (or accusations) fell under the league's single personal conduct policy. Elliott's punishment was specified according to the domestic violence allegations leveled against him. Winston's discipline was applied per the flexibility allotted to the commissioner for his lesser alleged offenses.

That's not entirely accurate. Within the policy there is a specific DV policy that the NFL put in place a couple of years ago. That policy calls for 6 games. What Winston did would not fall under that specific policy.

Hardline

Reaction score
I ended my one year boycott of the Dallas Maverick and will continue my NFL boycott in every game excluding the Cowboys.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's not the point being made. Nobody is saying it's not important and I can stop anytime. The point is that it doesn't rise to a level beyond that would lead to activism or a willingness to give up our weekly release/entertainment. It's just not as critical to most people's lives that they would place that kind of priority on it when there are so many other more important things to worry about and be responsible for.
I partially agree but any form of entertainment is a manufactured product meant for consumption. Like any desired product, it holds value.

Consumers become dissatisfied when a product's value is deemed less than satisfactory. There are examples of consumers' dissatisfaction taking the form of boycotts, especially within a free enterprise economy.

Where I agree is that I have never witnessed a significant segment of the NFL audience (e.g. fans) realistically banding together and boycotting the NFL's product. Certainly, a tiny fraction of its consumers' get angry to the point of beating their chests but that has been the extent of the outrage.

Even so, I would be pleasantly surprised if even that tiny fraction ever became truly serious and attempted a fundamentally sound boycott. It would be a change from simple howling at the moon.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just wish the NFL would get out of the conduct business and let courts decide. If a player is found guilty of nothing then do not punish them because you think they did something.

No employer can simply get out of the "conduct business" and let the courts decide, because there is conduct that can be detrimental to a company/business that may not rise to the level of being criminal.

CPanther95

Reaction score
I'll boycott the equivalent - 33 minutes 45 seconds of each 3 hr. game instead. Can probably do that by just skipping the pharmaceutical ads.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
That's not entirely accurate. Within the policy there is a specific DV policy that the NFL put in place a couple of years ago. That policy calls for 6 games. What Winston did would not fall under that specific policy.

Sexual assault and other sex offenses are covered under the Code of Conduct policy. It specifically mentions "sexual assault involving physical force or committed against someone incapable of giving consent, a first offense will subject the offender to a baseline suspension without pay of 6 games, with consideration given to any aggravating or mitigating factors. The presence of aggravating factors may warrant a longer suspension."

I guess people can argue over what they consider "physical force" and "someone incapable of giving consent" and "consideration for mitigating factors" but those arguments wouldn't interest me. Just wanted to share what was documented in the policy for all to take into account in forming their own opinions.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
A real boycott would be refusing to purchase any NFL garb or any products that sponsor the NFL.

A real boycott would mean refusing to watch any NFL games in order to further plummet ratings.

But even these steps would be too little to make a change. Too many NFL sheeple out there make your individual voice irrelevant.

The NFL will die a slow, natural death. I can’t imagine the NFL existing in its current state by 2050. It may succumb to public indifference and damaging legal battles far sooner than that.
I like that...... I will not purchase any NFL gear this year.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Took me a sec locating my previous post of the league's policy:

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/why...ee-game-suspension.407443/page-2#post-8218814

https://webcache.googleusercontent....ap3000000828506.pdf+&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

NFL Personal Conduct Policy

Discipline

<snip>

Depending on the nature of the violation and the player’s record, discipline may be a fine, a suspension for a fixed or an indefinite period of time, a combination of the two, or banishment from the league with an opportunity to reapply.

That passage was taken directly from the policy. It provides the commissioner (extreme) flexibility in applying discipline for non-codified offenses--like Winston's.

Sydla

Reaction score
Took me a sec locating my previous post of the league's policy:

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/why...ee-game-suspension.407443/page-2#post-8218814

https://webcache.googleusercontent....ap3000000828506.pdf+&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

NFL Personal Conduct Policy

Discipline

<snip>

Depending on the nature of the violation and the player’s record, discipline may be a fine, a suspension for a fixed or an indefinite period of time, a combination of the two, or banishment from the league with an opportunity to reapply.

That passage was taken directly from the policy. It provides the commissioner (extreme) flexibility in applying discipline for non-codified offenses--like Winston's.

You are proving my point.

Elliott was punished under the DV policy which mandated 6 games. Winston got three because he was punished under the regular conduct policy. My first post pointed this out. Elliott got 6 games because of the DV policy and what Winston did doesn't really fall under DV.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
A real boycott would be refusing to purchase any NFL garb or any products that sponsor the NFL.

A real boycott would mean refusing to watch any NFL games in order to further plummet ratings.

But even these steps would be too little to make a change. Too many NFL sheeple out there make your individual voice irrelevant.

The NFL will die a slow, natural death. I can’t imagine the NFL existing in its current state by 2050. It may succumb to public indifference and damaging legal battles far sooner than that.

The changing demographics in this country will do more to bring down the NFL than a minority of fans having hissy fits.

Basketball is growing, soccer is growing - more kids are playing it here than ever before - while youth football leagues are either stagnant or shrinking. Part of it is the concussion thing, part of it is the ethnicity of growing sectors - people whose culture involves soccer, not football. Either way, the NFL will get smaller.