I am boycotting NFL for three games this season

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
They don't care, as most of the time the tickets are already sold, they have their money. The only thing they may lose is a few concession sales. As not everyone that goes to games spends money. Say even if an average of $20, that is $20K in sales. And that is on the vendors. As most places contracts that out.

Jerry does not get all the direct profits from concessions. That service is contracted out. I know at the old Georgia Dome, some of the beer vendors were private contracts that paid a fee for rent space, and kept their sales profits after rent.

What it does start affecting is in-stadium and local broadcasting advertising rates if decreased attendance persists. In the Ravens case, the club even tried to help those fans in reselling their tickets thru Ticketmaster than thru other resellers, since the Ravens get a cut from Ticketmasters, to offset some of those attendance losses. Initially, it may seem just like a drop in the bucket, but even those drops get their attention.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is essentially a separate subsection of the conduct policy that dictates how the NFL should handle DV cases. It was added to the overall conduct policy that was issued in 2014. In fact, in the letter to Elliott from the NFL last year, it points this exact thing out. That he's being punished under the DV policy.

Hence my original point. Elliott got 6 games because his transgression fell under that DV policy. Winston got 3 games because his situation was covered by the regular conduct policy.
So, a single policy is, in fact, two separate policies (i.e. DV and regular) because the single policy has subsections embedded within its text?

Got it. Thanks. :rolleyes:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If it's obvious then of course punish.

The NFL gets involved in the he said she said though.

What good came out of the Zeke circus? How was that good for their business? It made them lose credibility.

If you have Ray Rice on video slugging a woman then punish him but if nobody can decide if Zeke did anything then why punish?

They need concrete evidence.

I'm not saying they handled Zeke's situation well, just saying a simple rule of letting things play out in court isn't practical.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
Although I'm serious about my team, this is still just a game/entertainment. I can't get behind boycotting something that should not be taken as seriously as we sometimes take it. I just want to enjoy the games. When I cease to enjoy them, then I'll stop watching.

Now, taking Zeke away for six games affected my enjoyment level because I want my team to win every game. I don't believe it was a fair punishment (or that there should have been any punishment at all), but it's not like I own the team or run the league and have the authority to make those decisions. If I did, there are a whole lot of things I would do differently. However, I'm not going to protest each of those things or let them ruin my entertainment. If we do, we probably need to take a closer look at what's really important in our lives.
Football is my life. It's far more enjoyable than sex, work, or pretty much anything money can buy. Only food is a better short term release, and it provides only a very instantaneous happiness when football is long term enjoyment.

DiResta

Reaction score
geofferyholman1.jpg

kskboys

Reaction score
Yes sir. Off the grid. Each time the tax man locates me, the guy mysteriously is never heard from again.

I wonder when God-ell is coming to visit? :laugh:

You know I am kidding right?
Of course!!!! That's some funny poopy!!!

Goodell is the axeman for the owners. He's nothing but a hit man. Does the hitman run the mob? Nope!!!!!!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I'm not saying they handled Zeke's situation well, just saying a simple rule of letting things play out in court isn't practical.

But they've gotten into disciplining players without proof.

Accusation seems like it's good enough.

foofighters

Reaction score
I am boycotting NFL for three games this season. I let the NFL office know as well and I encourage others to do the same...let your $s speak. Zeke gets a 6 game suspension, in a case that was thrown out of court, police closed the case, she retracted her story and NFLs own investigator said, they shouldnt' suspend.

then Winston does the same, lies, then admits to it, and gets a 3 game suspension, although NFLs own POLICY says, minimum 6 games.

what gives? of course we know that was Goodell getting even with Jerry for challenging him.....

so for three weekends, they don't get me to watch their commercials...

so NFL will probably say, ***.... so I wrote their advertisers as well. Budweiser, etc.

will it amount to anything? maybe, maybe not...but NFL depends on me the fan, and when me the fan is unhappy, NFL will know....they are not the king of the hill, they exists, because I exist.
I don't think you're giving up much. Other games that do not feature the Cowboys are dull and boring. The officiating is horrible. The pre/post/during game commentary is horrible. Seriously, how does Rob Riggle still have a job with fox? Commercials are boring too frequent. All in all, the NFL isn't what it used to be and within 5 years, I doubt I'll be watching at all.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Not to quibble but what Winston did is not really what Elliott was accused of.

Elliott fell under the domestic violence policy - 6 games. I am not sure what Winston did falls under "DV".
according to their definition its part of that and should have been given a 6 game suspension

......"A baseline suspension of six games without pay for violations involving assault, battery, domestic violence, dating violence, child abuse, other forms of family violence, or sexual assault, with consideration given to possible mitigating or aggravating circumstances. ...."

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't think you're giving up much. Other games that do not feature the Cowboys are dull and boring. The officiating is horrible. The pre/post/during game commentary is horrible. Seriously, how does Rob Riggle still have a job with fox? Commercials are boring too frequent. All in all, the NFL isn't what it used to be and within 5 years, I doubt I'll be watching at all.
Riggle was midly entertaining at first, but then I started wondering who he was sleeping w/ to keep his job!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
according to their definition its part of that and should have been given a 6 game suspension

......"A baseline suspension of six games without pay for violations involving assault, battery, domestic violence, dating violence, child abuse, other forms of family violence, or sexual assault, with consideration given to possible mitigating or aggravating circumstances. ...."
And we really don't even know what EZ did.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Getting mad at the league because Jameis Winston did not get as harsh a punishment as Zeke is apples and oranges.

First of all, on either case, we never have total access to all evidence the investigators do. When investigations are conducted, the general public never knows the entire story or set of facts. Some of that is due to privacy laws. Secondly, as mentioned earlier, Zeke’s case was a DV investigation. I’m not sure what Winston’s case was called exactly, but it wasn’t DV.

Finally, I’m not here to say the Winston or Zeke cases were adjudicated fairly or appropriately. The NFL owners are the real power brokers in this league and they have enthusiasticly embraced their errand boy commissioner Good Ol Boy, who has almost no coherent policy. He answers only to the 32 men who run this league with complete authority. The NFL is the least protective or appreciative of its players.

I understand if any fan hates what the NFL does with its handing out of “justice” but if that’s how you feel, you might as well boycott all 16.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows....s/Active Players/PersonalConductPolicyLPP.pdf

The document's header states:

PERSONAL CONDUCT POLICY
League Policies for Players

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/policy

Merriam-Webster defines 'policy' as:

b : a high-level overall plan embracing the general goals and acceptable procedures especially of a governmental body

Some people might suggest a single document containing multiple goals and procedures is one policy (e.g. plan) containing language outlining different mechanisms related to its subject matter. In my opinion, I believe the authors of the NFL Personal Conduct Policy used this definition when including the plural version of the term within the document header.

Others might express that the authors' use of the plural form of the term 'policy' should be interpreted as literally separate policies (and not procedures) contained within the body of one document. That may be true. If so, the authors should have considered their page three's section header stating:

What Happens When a Violation of These Policies is Suspected:

--instead of their final draft stating:

What Happens When a Violation of This Policy is Suspected?

Enough DE. Whatever.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
A real boycott would be refusing to purchase any NFL garb or any products that sponsor the NFL.

A real boycott would mean refusing to watch any NFL games in order to further plummet ratings.

But even these steps would be too little to make a change. Too many NFL sheeple out there make your individual voice irrelevant.

The NFL will die a slow, natural death. I can’t imagine the NFL existing in its current state by 2050. It may succumb to public indifference and damaging legal battles far sooner than that.
Ratings have dropped 20% the last two years

All the tiny pebbles are making an impact

It is silly to continue to discount the unhappiness with the League in general

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
I am boycotting NFL for three games this season. I let the NFL office know as well and I encourage others to do the same...let your $s speak. Zeke gets a 6 game suspension, in a case that was thrown out of court, police closed the case, she retracted her story and NFLs own investigator said, they shouldnt' suspend.

then Winston does the same, lies, then admits to it, and gets a 3 game suspension, although NFLs own POLICY says, minimum 6 games.

what gives? of course we know that was Goodell getting even with Jerry for challenging him.....

so for three weekends, they don't get me to watch their commercials...

so NFL will probably say, ***.... so I wrote their advertisers as well. Budweiser, etc.

will it amount to anything? maybe, maybe not...but NFL depends on me the fan, and when me the fan is unhappy, NFL will know....they are not the king of the hill, they exists, because I exist.
Which weekends are you picking

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ratings have dropped 20% the last two years

All the tiny pebbles are making an impact

It is silly to continue to discount the unhappiness with the League in general
I do think the NFL has a problem in the future with decreasing popularity. Less kids are playing football in youth leagues, middle school and high school. The safety issue will have an increasing impact in the future if the trend continues with less kids playing football.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But they've gotten into disciplining players without proof.

Accusation seems like it's good enough.
People's focus is on facts. That is understandable. We are indoctrinated in the belief that anyone is innocent until proven guilty.

The problem is people think their guiding principle should always be held the same by the league's owners. It is not. The league's guiding philosophy is that no player can smear its image for any reason.

Evidence? The league weighs what it considers evidence that infringes on its perception. Whether actual evidence presented to it holds an ounce of water is irrelevant in its eyes.