I am boycotting NFL for three games this season

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Im pretty sure I already boycott the commercials while making room for more beer.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You are proving my point.

Elliott was punished under the DV policy which mandated 6 games. Winston got three because he was punished under the regular conduct policy.
There is no separate policy. The personal conduct policy pertaining to discipline is outlined in my prior post that I provided with the link. Both players received punishment per the single NFL Personal Conduct Policy. However, if you know of another personal conduct policy, I am curious where I could find it on either NFL.com or NFLPA.com.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
The changing demographics in this country will do more to bring down the NFL than a minority of fans having hissy fits.

Basketball is growing, soccer is growing - more kids are playing it here than ever before - while youth football leagues are either stagnant or shrinking. Part of it is the concussion thing, part of it is the ethnicity of growing sectors - people whose culture involves soccer, not football. Either way, the NFL will get smaller.
Soccer has been “growing” for 40 years. When can we consider it mature?

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I partially agree but any form of entertainment is a manufactured product meant for consumption. Like any desired product, it holds value.

Consumers become dissatisfied when a product's value is deemed less than satisfactory. There are examples of consumers' dissatisfaction taking the form of boycotts, especially within a free enterprise economy.

Where I agree is that I have never witnessed a significant segment of the NFL audience (e.g. fans) realistically banding together and boycotting the NFL's product. Certainly, a tiny fraction of its consumers' get angry to the point of beating their chests but that has been the extent of the outrage.

Even so, I would be pleasantly surprised if even that tiny fraction ever became truly serious and attempted a fundamentally sound boycott. It would be a change from simple howling at the moon.

Baltimore Ravens fans did cause a little stir with an informal boycott, many stopped going to games, even while still fighting for a playoff spot and there was a lot of empty seats, which does not look good to advertisers. It did cause some anxious moments and prompted the club to go on a marketing blitz to get fans back. While not a huge boycott, it was enough to raise some eyebrows and make them a little uncomfortable.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I just wish the NFL would get out of the conduct business and let courts decide.

Fans have a hard time seeing the NFL as an "employer" but that's what it is, and no employer can adopt an "anything goes as long as you don't get arrested" policy. To do so would be asking for lawsuits from employees, potential customers, etc.. Companies carry insurance for that sort of thing for a reason.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Wouldn't you rather boycott the Cowboys (and Jerry's wallet) until he fires Garrett and gets serious about winning?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
No employer can simply get out of the "conduct business" and let the courts decide, because there is conduct that can be detrimental to a company/business that may not rise to the level of being criminal.

If it's obvious then of course punish.

The NFL gets involved in the he said she said though.

What good came out of the Zeke circus? How was that good for their business? It made them lose credibility.

If you have Ray Rice on video slugging a woman then punish him but if nobody can decide if Zeke did anything then why punish?

They need concrete evidence.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I wonder if Buccaneers fans are going to boycott because Winston got 3 games for grabbing a girls crotch and Zeke got 0 games for pulling a girls top down without permission?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Baltimore Ravens fans did cause a little stir with an informal boycott, many stopped going to games, even while still fighting for a playoff spot and there was a lot of empty seats, which does not look good to advertisers. It did cause some anxious moments and prompted the club to go on a marketing blitz to get fans back. While not a huge boycott, it was enough to raise some eyebrows and make them a little uncomfortable.
True incident. However, formal is the key consideration.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am boycotting NFL for three games this season. I let the NFL office know as well and I encourage others to do the same...let your $s speak. Zeke gets a 6 game suspension, in a case that was thrown out of court, police closed the case, she retracted her story and NFLs own investigator said, they shouldnt' suspend.

then Winston does the same, lies, then admits to it, and gets a 3 game suspension, although NFLs own POLICY says, minimum 6 games.

what gives? of course we know that was Goodell getting even with Jerry for challenging him.....

so for three weekends, they don't get me to watch their commercials...

so NFL will probably say, ***.... so I wrote their advertisers as well. Budweiser, etc.

will it amount to anything? maybe, maybe not...but NFL depends on me the fan, and when me the fan is unhappy, NFL will know....they are not the king of the hill, they exists, because I exist.

I don't watch their commercials anyway, nor try to anyway. Boycotting or not. And I certainly do not run out and buy whatever they are spinning even if I do catch a commercial here and there.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wonder if Buccaneers fans are going to boycott because Winston got 3 games for grabbing a girls crotch and Zeke got 0 games for pulling a girls top down without permission?
A few Tampa Bay fans will self-assign a temporary moratorium upon themselves, announce they have "Dealt The Man a serious blow for justice!" and go back to listening, hearing, reading and talking about Buccaneers football in short order.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I doubt the owners will blink if 1,000 fans skipped any number of games.

They don't care, as most of the time the tickets are already sold, they have their money. The only thing they may lose is a few concession sales. As not everyone that goes to games spends money. Say even if an average of $20, that is $20K in sales. And that is on the vendors. As most places contracts that out.

Jerry does not get all the direct profits from concessions. That service is contracted out. I know at the old Georgia Dome, some of the beer vendors were private contracts that paid a fee for rent space, and kept their sales profits after rent.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They don't care, as most of the time the tickets are already sold, they have their money. The only thing they may lose is a few concession sales. As not everyone that goes to games spends money. Say even if an average of $20, that is $20K in sales. And that is on the vendors. As most places contracts that out.

Jerry does not get all the direct profits from concessions. That service is contracted out. I know at the old Georgia Dome, some of the beer vendors were private contracts that paid a fee for rent space, and kept their sales profits after rent.
Good point.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
The changing demographics in this country will do more to bring down the NFL than a minority of fans having hissy fits.

Basketball is growing, soccer is growing - more kids are playing it here than ever before - while youth football leagues are either stagnant or shrinking. Part of it is the concussion thing, part of it is the ethnicity of growing sectors - people whose culture involves soccer, not football. Either way, the NFL will get smaller.

I do wonder about the future growth of the NBA with this emergence of "Super Teams". We've had the same 2 teams in the Finals the last few years and the outcome was really not in question. The competitive nature is really starting to wane and we are at the point that really only about 4 maybe 5 teams have a realistic shot at the Championship, even then there is still 1 overwhelming favorite. Hard core fans will stay, but more casual fans and fans in those noncompetitive markets will dwindle. When many fans of a team that have been in the Finals 4 straight years and say a month after the Championship that their best option is to purposely tank the next 3-4 seasons, because they know for a fact that their team has no chance whatsoever next year, is a problem. The NBA will have a crisis of their own in the future if this continues.

People have been saying soccer is growing for decades and while it's technically growing, the national viewership isn't a blip on the radar.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are a lot of reasons to boycott....this is the most silly one.
I would side more with misdirected than silly. For example, a letter petition campaign directed at the league office would be tangible for communicating dissatisfaction. At the very least, a letter might make someone say, "What the heck is this about?" Right now, the thought process is saying aloud to empty air, "I'm going cold turkey, NFL. Take that!"

On second thought, that does kinda sound silly. How does one know what one does not experience? If a bear crapped in the woods...

Kevinicus

Reaction score

Without permission according to whom?

Sydla

Reaction score
There is no separate policy. The personal conduct policy pertaining to discipline is outlined in my prior post that I provided with the link. Both players received punishment per the single NFL Personal Conduct Policy. However, if you know of another personal conduct policy, I am curious where I could find it on either NFL.com or NFLPA.com.

There is essentially a separate subsection of the conduct policy that dictates how the NFL should handle DV cases. It was added to the overall conduct policy that was issued in 2014. In fact, in the letter to Elliott from the NFL last year, it points this exact thing out. That he's being punished under the DV policy.

Hence my original point. Elliott got 6 games because his transgression fell under that DV policy. Winston got 3 games because his situation was covered by the regular conduct policy.