I am boycotting NFL for three games this season

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I appreciate your boycotting efforts but the reason Winston wasn’t suspended 6 games is quite clear. He didn’t commit Domestic Violence of the Personal Conduct Policy which mandates the 6 games. If the Uber driver had been his girlfriend or wife then it would have gone down differently.
Sexual assault and domestic violence are both covered under the same policy and both have a baseline suspension of 6 games, which can be increased or decreased based upon aggravating or mitigating factors.

There is no mandatory 6 game suspension for either, as much as people want to believe it is a mandatory suspension.

Whether one agrees with the NFLs ability to have flexibility in the suspensions or whether they agree with how inconsistent the suspensions are handed out is a different story. But there is no mandatory 6 game suspension.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I tried my best to make my kids Cowboys fans. Took them to training camp when it was here in San Antonio. Took pictures of them with the 5 trophies. Bought jerseys and hats for them to wear for the game. Took them to game watching bbqs, but it just didn't stick. They can't stand the game or the team and have absolutely no desire to watch football in any way, shape, or form.

When TC was in San Antonio I went to a bunch. I went with my buddy and his son, who were both big Bears fans. My buddy's son changed from a Cutler loving Bears fan to a Romo loving Cowboy's fan during just one practice. All it took was Romo smiling and pointing in our direction in the stands and a T-shirt that Rowdy threw my way, that I gave to his son. His son went home and took down all his Bears memorabilia and asked his Dad to buy some Cowboys and Romo stuff for his walls. My buddy still hasn't forgiven me to this day. :thumbup:

Dre11

Reaction score
True.

I didn't know he admitted to it either. Is that accurate?

No he didn’t, people just don’t have their facts straight, he apologized to the lady saying he was sorry for the position he put her in, but still denied it happened. He also accepted the 3 games with no appeal.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Sexual assault and domestic violence are both covered under the same policy and both have a baseline suspension of 6 games, which can be increased or decreased based upon aggravating or mitigating factors.

There is no mandatory 6 game suspension for either, as much as people want to believe it is a mandatory suspension.

Whether one agrees with the NFLs ability to have flexibility in the suspensions or whether they agree with how inconsistent the suspensions are handed out is a different story. But there is no mandatory 6 game suspension.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...games-for-1st-offense-lifetime-ban-afterward/

You might want to reread the update to Policy regarding DV.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...games-for-1st-offense-lifetime-ban-afterward/

You might want to reread the update to Policy in 2016 regarding DV.
I don't need to read what others interpret what the penalty is. I was under the imipression it was a mandatory 6 game suspension as well, because that what I have been told it was. However, when I actually read the policy myself, I realize I've been told wrong.

Here is a link the policy. Please scroll down to page 6 and the actual language for the 3 scenarios in which the 6 game baseline suspension is spelled out. Those scenarios include criminal assault or battery, domestic/family violence, and sexual assault.

Can you point to the part of the policy you are referring to that is exclusive to domestic violence which mandates a 6 game suspension and I'll be happy to read that part of the policy. Maybe I missed it.

https://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/photo/2017/08/11/0ap3000000828506.pdf

Diehardblues

Reaction score
http://www.realclearlife.com/sports...-jameis-winston-for-sexual-assault-is-a-joke/

The simple answer: public relations. Winston and the NFL worked out a deal that, in exchange for not appealing the league’s ruling and keeping the story in the headlines, cut his suspension in half.

Considering what Winston is accused of—grabbing a female Uber driver’s crotch at a drive-thru while he was drunk—the message of making a deal like this sends is abhorrent. If you do the crime, but you work with us to quell the media firestorm, you won’t serve the time.“

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't need to read what others interpret what the penalty is. I was under the imipression it was a mandatory 6 game suspension as well, because that what I have been told it was. However, when I actually read the policy myself, I realize I've been told wrong.

Here is a link the policy. Please scroll down to page 6 and the actual language for the 3 scenarios in which the 6 game baseline suspension is spelled out. Those scenarios include criminal assault or battery, domestic/family violence, and sexual assault.

Can you point to the part of the policy you are referring to that is exclusive to domestic violence which mandates a 6 game suspension and I'll be happy to read that part of the policy. Maybe I missed it.

https://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/photo/2017/08/11/0ap3000000828506.pdf
The policy was amended in 2014. I read that also but didn’t include the amendment.

Sexual assault is also included in the mandatory 6 games now and the league announced why they reduced it as I posted above post with link.

“The simple answer: public relations. Winston and the NFL worked out a deal that, in exchange for not appealing the league’s ruling and keeping the story in the headlines, cut his suspension in half. “

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Before the conversation regresses into a tomato/tomoto slugfest, I would point out the language (again on this site) listed on pages 6 and 7 of the actual NFL Personal Conduct Policy:

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows....s/Active Players/PersonalConductPolicyLPP.pdf

With regard to violations of the Personal Conduct Policy that involve: (i) criminal assault or battery (felony); (ii) domestic violence, dating violence, child abuse and other forms of family violence; or (iii) sexual assault involving physical force or committed against someone incapable of giving consent, a first offense will subject the offender to a baseline suspension without pay of six games, with consideration given to any aggravating or mitigating factors. The presence of possible aggravating factors may warrant a longer suspension.

The contentious word is baseline. To me, baseline means mandatory within the context of the language outlined. I side with the Merriam-Webster definition:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/baseline

5 : a starting point

In other words, I see it as stating six-game suspension is automatically applicable as the standard punishment before anything else is considered. That standard is elevated, lowered or remains constant once other factors are considered.

To others, baseline may not be read as essential or even relevant to the policy's language.

...and now, easing out of ongoing convo.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
The policy was amended in 2014. I read that also but didn’t include the amendment.

Sexual assault is also included in the mandatory 6 games now and the league announced why they reduced it as I posted above post with link.

“The simple answer: public relations. Winston and the NFL worked out a deal that, in exchange for not appealing the league’s ruling and keeping the story in the headlines, cut his suspension in half.

Considering what Winston is accused of—grabbing a female Uber driver’s crotch at a drive-thru while he was drunk—the message of making a deal like this sends is abhorrent. If you do the crime, but you work with us to quell the media firestorm, you won’t serve the time.”

So you didn't read the actual policy, just someone else's interpretation of the policy? I provided a link and even gave you the page number and paragraph to read. I guess you can believe what you want to believe.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So you didn't read the actual policy, just someone else's interpretation of the policy? I provided a link and even gave you the page number and paragraph to read. I guess you can believe what you want to believe.
I was arguing you saying DV wasn’t mandated 6 games. There’s other violations included in the 6 game mandates.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Before the conversation regresses into a tomato/tomoto slugfest, I would point out the language (again on this site) listed on pages 6 and 7 of the actual NFL Personal Conduct Policy:

https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/PDFs/Active Players/PersonalConductPolicyLPP.pdf

With regard to violations of the Personal Conduct Policy that involve: (i) criminal assault or battery (felony); (ii) domestic violence, dating violence, child abuse and other forms of family violence; or (iii) sexual assault involving physical force or committed against someone incapable of giving consent, a first offense will subject the offender to a baseline suspension without pay of six games, with consideration given to any aggravating or mitigating factors. The presence of possible aggravating factors may warrant a longer suspension.

The contentious word is baseline. To me, baseline means mandatory within the context of the language outlined. I side with the Merriam-Webster definition:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/baseline

5 : a starting point

In other words, I see it as stating six-game suspension is automatically applicable as the standard punishment before anything else is considered. That standard is elevated, lowered or remains constant once other factors are considered.

To others, baseline may not be read as essential or even relevant to the policy's language.

...and now, easing out of ongoing convo.
Thanks for clarifying!

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I was arguing you saying DV wasn’t mandated 6 games. There’s other violations included in the 6 game mandates.

It's not.

baseline 6 game suspension = Starting point (not mandatory)
aggravating factors = can increase suspension to more than 6 games
mitigating factors = can decrease lower than 6 games

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's not.

baseline 6 game suspension = Starting point --- not mandatory
aggravating factors = can increase suspension to more than 6 games
mitigating factors = can decrease lower than 6 games
Interpret it how you will. Starting point and mandate are one in the same to me.

We all know it can be reduced or increased at that point pending litigation.

Elliott’s has an opportunity to be reduced as well.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Interpret it how you will. Starting point and mandate are one in the same to me.

We all know it can be reduced or increased at that point pending litigation.

Well, I can only do so much. I guess you guys can continue wondering why the NFL is handing out suspensions less than the "mandatory" 6 games and ignore the fact that the policy specifically mentions consideration would be given for mitigating factors if you wish. Easy answer is being spelled out for you, but you guys can continue trying to solve that riddle. LOL.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Well, I can only do so much. I guess you guys can continue wondering why the NFL is handing out suspensions less than the "mandatory" 6 games and ignore the fact that the policy specifically mentions consideration would be given for mitigating factors if you wish. Easy answer is being spelled out for you, but you guys can continue trying to solve that riddle. LOL.
The NFL spelled it out why they reduced it. Because Jameis chose not to challenge it which goes back to the NFL agenda. To sweep under the rug as soon as possible after showing they’re trying to be tough.

I suspect they might have done the same with Elliott if he hadn’t challenged it but he was convinced or poorly advised by Jerry he could win it.

And if they had I think most would have more accepted 3 games especially at beginning of season. I commend Jameis and whoever advised him for a much easier resolution.

Pokes12

Reaction score
A real boycott would be refusing to purchase any NFL garb or any products that sponsor the NFL.

A real boycott would mean refusing to watch any NFL games in order to further plummet ratings.

But even these steps would be too little to make a change. Too many NFL sheeple out there make your individual voice irrelevant.

The NFL will die a slow, natural death. I can’t imagine the NFL existing in its current state by 2050. It may succumb to public indifference and damaging legal battles far sooner than that.
I have not bought anything Cowboys for years. I will not attend a game at Jerry World nor will I do anything that puts another penny in Jerruh's pocket until they improve the product they sell. The product they have sold over the past 25 years is mediocre. I don't buy mediocre. I love the franchise and its history. Right now that is enough for me to hang around and hope they get their collective act together. Between the GM and the faux coach, I have no confidence that they will produce a winning combination. But I live with the possibility that lightning strikes. That even a blind squirrel finds a nut, etc.