I am fixing this defense right now

My3Sons

Reaction score
Because he has barely played American football. Great athlete but extremely raw. Im a fan of the pick, but this seems to be a pick for 2021 and on. True development project.
False. He started 38 games in 5 years at OU.

fansince68

Reaction score
We are going very basic 4-2-5 this week. Very basic. If I blitz it is coming from the CB or S position. Gallimore and Hill start in the inside. I know Gallimore is not a 1 but it doesn’t matter because Poe and Woods are not doing the job. Gregory and Smith are starting on the outside. Anae gets next up snaps. Lawrence gets 33% of the snaps unless he shows a pulse. I am scouring the LBs in the league. Thomas and Gifford are my starters. Smith is a healthy scratch. I don’t care if I have to put Wilson at LB Smith is not suiting up. Diggs, Brown, Carr, Wilson, and Lewis are my starting secondary. Woods is deep, deep, deep on the bench. Griffen will work at the 3 on some passing downs. Worley and Crawford get a few snaps as well. I run base 85pct of the plays. I force Jones to stay in the pocket and be accurate. I pray Smith and Gregory can get home.

Simple, simple, simple.

54 is a permanent healthy scratch if the LBs show a pulse and I am looking every week for guys that can help.

Thoughts?
While your at it, consider making Zack Martin play RT for the rest of the season.

fivetwos

Reaction score
We are going very basic 4-2-5 this week. Very basic. If I blitz it is coming from the CB or S position. Gallimore and Hill start in the inside. I know Gallimore is not a 1 but it doesn’t matter because Poe and Woods are not doing the job. Gregory and Smith are starting on the outside. Anae gets next up snaps. Lawrence gets 33% of the snaps unless he shows a pulse. I am scouring the LBs in the league. Thomas and Gifford are my starters. Smith is a healthy scratch. I don’t care if I have to put Wilson at LB Smith is not suiting up. Diggs, Brown, Carr, Wilson, and Lewis are my starting secondary. Woods is deep, deep, deep on the bench. Griffen will work at the 3 on some passing downs. Worley and Crawford get a few snaps as well. I run base 85pct of the plays. I force Jones to stay in the pocket and be accurate. I pray Smith and Gregory can get home.

Simple, simple, simple.

54 is a permanent healthy scratch if the LBs show a pulse and I am looking every week for guys that can help.

Thoughts?
I like it and I'm with you.

Only problem is once your boss caught wind of you wanting to sit 54 and make him look like an idiot for giving him all that money he told you you'll suit him up and start him or you're gone.

What then?

Anyone doubt these things happen, or they know it in advance?

The second worst part of this organization is the mistakes.

The WORST part is the refusal to admit it until all kinds of time goes by.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Stop being a downer man we are trying to fix things that are historically bad.

me? its fans around here thing somehow thy have the answers and coaches know nothing as if they know more in relaity know squat..

its toxic really..sad where these forums go when we are losing..

negativity is toxic

Whyjerry

Reaction score
me? its fans around here thing somehow thy have the answers and coaches know nothing as if they know more in relaity know squat..

its toxic really..sad where these forums go when we are losing..

negativity is toxic

Yeah you are right. Fans have no right to complain. It’s America so complaining should be outlawed. Also it’s only been 25 years. Jerry will eventually get it all figured out. You are right.

kskboys

Reaction score

Simple, simple, simple.

Thoughts?
There is no way to fix it right now.

Kaiser

Reaction score
when jarwin went down i thought the worst. but in retrospect, it might have been a blessing in disguise as schultz has been great. perhaps we've found our te for the future.

I thought he was horrible last year but you kept reading he had turned a corner. I honestly wasn't worried about his drops in the first game, but he seems like he could end up as a league-average #1 TE by the end of the season - which would be a strength next year when he is the #2 TE.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I understand the sentiment but..

1) Jerry was criticized heavily for taking Jaylon Smith and he then doubled down with the contract. No way in h e double hockey sticks is Jerry allowing..I mean the coaching staff decides..that Jaylon be a healthy scratch. Zero chance at that happening.

2) Scouring the league for LB's is the absolute right call but this Front Office will not accept that they aren't the brightest and most clever smart football guys. They already have "guys on campus" they believe in.

3) If you went with Gallimore and Hill as your starting DT's you would have zero gap integrity. Both are selfish, undisciplined guys who like to show how quick they are getting upfield. Teams would get 4 plus yards on every single run play ( they kind of are now).

Canada180

bannedontherun88
Reaction score

Simple, simple, simple.

Thoughts?
I dont care if Smith never sees our field again. Pansy of a player. We need some ol' school, smash mouth, nose bleeding types in here. Not this fancy crap

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
Any plan that involves Jaylon being on the sidelines in street clothes, is a plan I'll back. IMO, I wouldn't let Worely on the field unless we have injuries at DB.

Also, Coach Fassel needs to be put on a leash. Way too much freelancing.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
Sounds like the most reasonable plan I have heard so far. I would put Griffen as a healthy scratch. I have never seen less effort from a player in my life.
Go back and watch Aldon Smith a few snaps you'd be surprised.

kskboys

Reaction score
I understand the sentiment but..

1) Jerry was criticized heavily for taking Jaylon Smith and he then doubled down with the contract. No way in h e double hockey sticks is Jerry allowing..I mean the coaching staff decides..that Jaylon be a healthy scratch. Zero chance at that happening.

2) Scouring the league for LB's is the absolute right call but this Front Office will not accept that they aren't the brightest and most clever smart football guys. They already have "guys on campus" they believe in.

3) If you went with Gallimore and Hill as your starting DT's you would have zero gap integrity. Both are selfish, undisciplined guys who like to show how quick they are getting upfield. Teams would get 4 plus yards on every single run play ( they kind of are now).
I'm not sure they're selfish, but they're both gap shooters.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

Simple, simple, simple.

Thoughts?

I like it. I hope Nolan does this.

kskboys

Reaction score
In terms of coaching, we call it "selfish".

In run defense, we preach:
Quit being selfish and going up field... hold your gap.
When you draft gap shooters, you can't expect them to hold their gaps. That's not their strength.

CarolinaFathead

Reaction score
In terms of coaching, we call it "selfish".

In run defense, we preach:
Quit being selfish and going up field... hold your gap.

So by selfish I take it to mean they are trying to make a play on the ball rather than play in a disciplined scheme. This would seem to be an easy fix imo. From a coach’s perspective, what is the struggle getting through to a player that won’t play within the scheme? I’d think getting burned on plays would be impetus enough but I guess not.